"In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

@Emsomom1 we love Los Andes as well :-* In fact I crave their food, great call!
Left it out because it is at the edge of walking distance from Brown campus. We will have to try Jahunger sounds great. We also enjoyed Cafe Nuovo (a little more formal) but great spot for river fire, Circe and Siena.

@Torrchase if visiting several great close proximity hotels. We have stayed at the following three; Hotel Providence has a boutique feel and is in an older building. Spacious rooms…mention Brown and it costs about $150 a night for a king size room except parents weekend.

Omni feels a little more corporate. Positioned between the mall (Bed Bath Beyond) and the Brown campus. A little corporate and cookie cut out but solid alternative. Great for move in freshman year.

Biltmore is a very nice older room looking over a park (ice skating rink) and bus station off to one side. Nice rooms but the homeless issue is a little more on display on the perimeter of the park near the bus stop.

In all cases you are less than a 10 minute walk up college hill to Brown’s campus. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. If we visit the campus we will be sure and try a few of these places.

Interesting observations. Reddit is also a pretty cool place to explore these options

I have also resided in the Brooklyn10 miles away only from my college. That is really so easy to reach my college any time. It’s also easy to approach for my parents with my college teachers for any further activities.

@Torrchase do not worry about the area surrounding Brown. It is safe. There are other parts of Providence where I do not let my children go but I let them walk around the East Side (neighborhood of Brown and RISD) unattended all the time. In fact my daughter’s school is a short walk from Brown. She and her high school friends are at the Brown campus and surrounding area often. Any further questions, do message me.

Live in Cleveland. 20 minutes from CWRU, five minutes from John Carroll and about 40 minutes from Baldwin Wallace. Know several people who work at all of these schools if emergency.

I live in West Lafayette Indiana, home of Purdue University, and our house is just a few blocks from campus.

I live in Northampton MA, pretty close to Smith. Any questions? I’m here for info and, of course, emergencies.

I think college may be away from home.

1 Like

This post is old…can anyone help me update it…
But…Yes, It would help…knowing there are moms out there…My son is headed to Tallahassee…yet, I am in south Florida…

Oh it just updated…lol
I stink on all this stuff…

Lett me start again…
My name is Sandie…son headed to Tallahassee…super exciting …yet…
I know no one there…
We live in south Florida…close to
FAU…LYNN UNIVERSITY…Atlantic

@newjerseygirl98 or any other Philadelphia parent… Can you talk a little bit about the neighborhood surrounding Penn? My son is planning to attend next fall & as a parent I am concerned because I have heard the neighborhood can be sketchy at times.

So I went to La Salle U in 16-17, before I had my daughter. I actually went to UPenn’s campus, because her dad lives “over the bridge” from that area ( Grays Ferry) which wasn’t nice. It didn’t seem too bad, though nothing like North Philly!

Penn’s neighborhood is fine. I think students generally gravitate towards the safer areas, anyway, as that’s where the activities are.

@oak2maple Penn is fine if you stay in campus. The kids know you don’t go past 42nd street. You don’t wander around at night alone. Yes, the surrounding area is sketchy, but the campus itself is pretty safe.

@oak2maple agree with above - Penn is fine and Drexel’s campus is adjacent as well - it’s not too far from downtown either and they’ll figure out quickly what is safe/what isn’t. Basic ‘street smarts’ apply in any city and I wouldn’t be too concerned at Penn.

We live very close to Johns Hopkins University’s Homewood Campus. We are also close to Loyola University and the College of Notre Dame.

But please don’t send me your lacrosse players :slight_smile:

I am only sort of kidding. Around here if you find a kid passed out in your petunias — it is often a lacrosse player for some reason. I don’t know why.

For parents of kids headed to these schools, the area hospital is Union Memorial Hospital and that is very close to these campuses and their dorms.

This hospital is also the place where they handle really bad hand wounds (severed fingers etc.) so patients are often helicoptered in for those kinds of emergencies.

Pretty good cardiac unit too I think. It is definitely a solid hospital.

1 Like

We’re long-time residents of Northampton, MA, 10 minutes from Smith and 20-30 minutes from UMass Amherst, Amherst College, Hampshire College, and Mount Holyoke. Reach out anytime with general questions about the area or specific questions about LGBT life or concerns. And emergencies, of course!

Close to UAH (University of Alabama- Huntsville)…let me know if I can be a source of info for anyone!

(also a grad of both Auburn University and University of Alabama- Tuscaloosa, although that experience is a bit dated! lol)

@engineermomof2 - that’s great to know! My son’s going there this fall (we’re from Virginia Beach).