Indecision: UChicago or Lewis and Clark College?

<p>Lewis and Clark and UChicago are my top two choices for college right now. I can definitely get into Lewis and Clark, but I'm unsure about UChicago. I have a 4.0 GPA, but unfortunately I was brainless my freshmen and sophomore year and didn't get involved at my school or in my community. I only have about 100 volunteer hours total, and my SAT score is 1900, which is above average generally, but well below average for UChicago.
UChicago:
Pros:
5th best school in US
Have exactly what I want (Major-Minor wise)
Dance activity
The area and campus are beautiful
Cons:
Far away
Expensive
Admission insecurity
Super cold during the winter and humid all year long
Crime (Chicago?)</p>

<p>Lewis and Clark:
Pros:
Close to home
I love Portland
Decent School
Have exactly what I want (Major-Minor wise)
Moderate climate
Easy-peasy admission
Cons:
Too close to home
Rainy
Not as good as UChicago (ranking wise)
Expensive
Small school
Campus is mediocre in appearance</p>

<p>P.S. Lewis and Clark College is a small liberal arts college in Portland, OR.</p>

<p>Thanks for reading!! Any insight is welcome.</p>

<p>Obviously you think one is a reach and one is a match. You should apply to a few safeties, matches and reaches is how you approach your applications.</p>

<p>OP, you and I disagree about a few particulars.<br>

Your SATs are a match for L&C, not a safety. You’re right about the 50%ile.

UChicago has 5300 undergrads while L&C has 3500. Is that significantly different?

Just asking, are you blind? The campus is a former mansion and the grounds are beautiful.</p>

<p>No reason you can’t apply to both. As Texaspg stated you should have a mix of safeties, matches and reaches. Also, L&C offers merit aid which Chicago does not. If you get that SAT up you might get some.</p>

<p>I have actually visited campus, and it isn’t that great.
1800 people is a big difference. I live in a town with 50,000. My high school has 1400. If you added 1800 people to my academic experience, it would seem significant, even though I wouldn’t interact with all 5,300 people at UChicago.
I may have over-exaggerated the admission. Compared to UChicago’s standard, Lewis and Clark’s isn’t anything I’m worried about right now.</p>

<p>LC does NOT have 3500 undergrads. It’s a little over 2000 I believe. I just wrote an article about this for the newspaper, our freshman class is 607 and that’s the largest class they’ve ever had, they usually aim for around 500</p>

<p>Apply to both schools. They both offer early action. LC isn’t stellar with need-based aid (they try, but they don’t have the endowment of some higher-ranked schools) but I’d bet you’ll get the Dean’s scholarship (1/4 tuition). You might have a chance at something bigger if you’re a science major and get your SAT up. They also have specialized scholarships for service, music, and debate I believe but I wasn’t super involved in anything like that so I didn’t pay attention to those, I’m sure you can find out more on your own.</p>

<p>I’ve been at LC for a month and I love it. I turned down some schools with a much higher ranking and academic reputation and I don’t regret it, it allowed me to get more credit and better placement for my IB/AP scores which will open up opportunities to minor or double major and go abroad and take more of the classes that interest me.</p>

<p>If you have any questions about LC and why I chose it feel free to PM me :)</p>

<p>UC carries a whole lot more weight nationally, and internationally.</p>

<p>I would not be too pleased if my kid decided to go to Lewis & Clark over UC.</p>

<p>Going to UC, if you get in, is the opportunity of a lifetime.</p>