Independent Study Projects

I’ve been admitted into Bennington as a transfer student. I’ve also been admitted into and am considering Hampshire. One of the most important things to me in attending college is the ability to develop my own independent study projects. I’m interested in laying a foundation for graduate work within either biology or chemistry. I also have strong interests in music, drawing, dance, film, and photography. It’s really important to me that I find ease in gaining professor support and the college’s approval for my independent study projects.

Can anyone speak of the process students follow to obtain permission to complete independent study projects? Are there any students who could attest to the number and nature of independent projects that are conducted throughout all four years of school? Do students ever have professors from Williams College take part in their independent studies? Do students conduct highly interdisciplinary studies supported by multiple professors from various departments?

I’m really just looking for some firsthand information.

Thanks!