International Baccalaureate

<p>Hello all! Recently I've come across a program called the International Baccalaureate that has a prestigious "Diploma Programme" for 16-18 year olds. I would love to learn more the IB but I find it quite difficult.. have any of you heard anything about the IB or are familiar with it?</p>

<p>It’s a legitimate high school curriculum that is accepted by American and European universities. I wouldn’t describe it as “prestigious” though. IB students complain that colleges underestimate the rigor of the program and hold them to too high standards (relative to applicants with other high school credentials).</p>

<p>Depending on where you want to go to college and what you want to study, the IB may not be your best option. The problem with the IB is that it’s too well-rounded. Some countries prefer their high school students to get a very focused education in a few key subjects relevant to their college major. (For example, prospective engineers would normally focus on math, physics and chemistry if they did A-levels, but the IB doesn’t allow that.)</p>

<p>Interesting! So is there no single online course I could take extracurricular? Or perhaps a summer course? Or is it really a two year school that can’t be broken up?</p>

<p>I’m currently doing the IB program and while I can safely say that the workload is probably higher, I think it does a great job of preparing you for university. If you are willing to handle the workload then I think you should consider it. As for universities, Most colleges in the US consider the IB to be equal to AP so no need to worry about that.</p>

<p>The IB is a two-year curriculum for full-time high school students, and students need to attend an IB school in order to sit for the exams. Some IB schools allow their students to take individual IB classes. That might be an interesting option for the average student who wants to take a few challenging classes but doesn’t feel up to the challenge of the full diploma. However, the IB program is not intended for independent learners.</p>

<p>If you want to study a subject on your own and prove your competency through an exam, why don’t you look into AP, A-level or CLEP exams? Although, if your goal is to get into the most competitive American colleges, there are probably better ways to spend your time.</p>