IRS Notice after FAFSA?

Client came in with an IRS notice addressed to his son who is a senior in HS, saying that someone filed a tax return in his name and number and wanting him to call in and verify his identity. He has never filed a return. I think it was a legit notice, I’ve seen a lot of IRS notices in my career.

Client called a little bit ago and said wife’s coworker said their kid who filed a FAFSA got the same thing.

I know IRS notices have been wonky lately (i.e. sending out letters that say they need more time to work on your inquiry…that you never inquired about). And maybe it was just a glitch causing the letter and no fraudulent return. Has anyone else seen this scenario?

The IRS notifies each person who transfers their tax return to let them know that someone transferred their information. If someone is fraudulently filing a FAFSA & using your information, you’ll be able to deal with it right away.

1 Like

Is this new? We used the DRT in 2015 and never got a peep from the IRS.

But that’s a good idea!!

I’m not sure when it started, but I became aware of it this year. I agree - it’s a good idea.

We’ve gotten these every year since 2014. And every year I forget, and I panic when I see the official IRS letterhead in my mailbox.

Don’t we all?

Yep. The IRS never mails you just to say hi or to wish happy holidays :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good to know, but I’m not sure if this is the standard notice.
I found an online image of Notice CP302 that IRS says goes out after DRT and it is entitled Notice of access to the DOE’s IRS Data Retrieval Tool and just lets you know DRT was used. That makes sense.

However, my client’s notice says that someone filed a “return” for the kid (we didn’t do DRT on the kid as he has never filed) and that he was supposed to call in. But then IRS has been weird lately.

Weird. Let us know what you find out.