Is a gap year worth it for me? All rejections

During my senior year’s application cycle, I only applied to Cal Poly SLO, SDSU, UCI, UCSD, UCLA, UCB, Georgia Tech, and Northwestern. I applied CE to Georgia Tech and Northwestern, and aerospace engineering to all the other schools. I got waitlisted at GT and UCSD, then rejected, and was straight up rejected from all the other schools. I have a 4.0 UW GPA, 1520 SAT, and 5 AP Tests all with a score of 5.

I didn’t really know anything about the college application cycle last time, I didn’t even know Early Decision or Early Action were a thing so I applied to my common app schools in like January. I am considering taking a gap year not to reapply to these schools, but to apply with a much better, longer college list that has actual targets and safeties. Right now my list is made up of UCSC, UCD, UCSB, Purdue, Texas A&M, UWash, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, Drexel, Santa Clara University, BU, UMD, Northeastern ED, and RIT.

Would I be able to apply to these schools on a gap year and get in to some of them? I would be improving my ECs and keeping up my academics during the gap year. I already have a summer internship, have taken a summer class at my community college, am planning on joining a tutoring program, self-studying AP Physics C: Mechanics and Calc 3, and keeping up my previous extracurriculars.

Is a gap year worth it? What is your other choice since you were not accepted at any of the places where you applied.

In what state do you reside?

And what is your annual college budget?

3 Likes

What do you think are the safeties in the new list?

5 Likes

Here’s a list of schools still accepting apps:

I didn’t go through every state, but I took a look at the State of WA, since you mentioned UDub above. Washington State is still accepting apps and it’s a WUE school with D1 sports.

8 Likes

If you have taken a college course(s) post HS graduation during a regular session (other than summer) you are no longer considered a Freshman applicant for the California UC’s so you will be classified as a Transfer. Make sure you are considered a Freshman applicant especially if taking a Gap Year.

As a Transfer, you need a minimum 60 semester/90 quarter units to apply so Junior level. UC’s are also test blind so your competitive SAT score would have not been considered on your original UC application.

Also self studying AP classes post HS graduation will not help your situation. AO’s prefer to see applicants take the course in HS (not post graduation) and receive a letter grade over an AP exam score.

You have an excellent GPA and test scores so something other than your academics and test scores could be the reason for the rejection. Also you applied to some highly competitive majors and appears no true safety other than community college.

Your internship can help your chances but you need to check with the other schools on your list to make sure you will not be considered a transfer applicant like the UC’s by taking any community college courses.

Best of luck

6 Likes

Am I correct in assuming that your current plan, if you don’t take a gap year, is to attend community college? It’s a smart idea. You can show yourself to be a strong student and transfer with a high GPA, which colleges love.

Self studying AP classes is not a way to improve your app. Colleges are not particularly interested in self studied APs as it is. They care about grades in classes. You are out of high school. Unless you are looking for credit for those classes, I honestly would not bother. Really.

Be careful of taking ANY college classes now you’re out of high school. You want to be admitted as a freshman. If you take any college classes, you might jeopardize that status. Maybe just audit them.

Make sure you keep communication open with your high school. You will want their assistance with submitting transcripts and teacher recs. Remember, you’re out of high school. Colleges are not really expecting you to keep up with academics. ECs, volunteering, a job are all good ways to stay busy during this summer and fall. Make sure you do a great job with your essays. If you have a clear #1 school, consider ED. You can only apply ED to one school. Apply EA when possible, though remember that ED is binding. If you are accepted, you will have to withdraw other apps. Come back here to ask for help. Good luck.

4 Likes

Embry Riddle should be a safety.

3 Likes

I would think you’d be eligible for scholarships at Arizona and Alabama if you keep freshman status.

3 Likes

Why not just go to community college and prepare for transfer to a four year school with your major?

If you are a California resident, this path is well used. You can check https://www.assist.org to look up what you need at community colleges to cover needed courses at UCs and CSUs.

Also, it is not clear that your revised list is well thought out. For example, UCSC does not have aerospace engineering or mechanical engineering, nor does it have civil engineering if that is what you mean by CE.

4 Likes

What can your family contribute to college costs?

2 Likes

Sorry, I should have specified I meant computer engineering, which UCSC has.

I have emailed every school on the list and they have clarified I can apply as a freshman, including the UCs. It’s because the class was in the summer right after graduation.

2 Likes

I would say UCSC, Drexel, and RIT, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Well at least for the UC’s, 1 summer CC course will not move the needle on your academics since they will still only consider 10-11th grades in their GPA calculation. As I have stated originally, your academics do not seem to be an issue with a 4.0 UW GPA. The UC’s will see your Senior grades which I assume are all A’s and your grade from the CC course but they will not be counted in the UC GPA calculation.

As I stated, the internship can help but self studying any AP classes post graduation is a waste of time unless as noted you want credit. It will not help your admission chances since AP’s are HS courses.

If UCSC is a top choice, then follow @ucbalumnus advice and go to a community college with TAG for UCSC or UCD. The CE major is still eligible for TAG at both campuses.

You have also not clarified if all the OOS schools are within budget (assuming you are a CA resident)?

6 Likes

As you know, Comp E is competitive. Still, even taking that into account, the odds of striking out everywhere in CA, even SDSU, seem low without a flaw in your application. It’s certainly possible, as none of them are safe admits. My guess though is that either your rigor is subpar or more likely, you’re missing a required a-g class. What was your highest math? Did you meet all of the a-g requirements?

5 Likes

My highest math is Calc BC, and I met all the a-g requirements. I would say the rigor option is more likely, since I took 5 APs and my school offered 10. Though, I took all honors courses, most of which were UC-recognized honors courses.

The self-studying is moreso for myself, to keep myself sharp and study what I’m interested in, and I thought it might be worth a mention on my application. Though, if it hurts my application, I won’t include it.

All the OOS schools are within my budget, and I am a CA resident.

Given that, starting at community college should be considered strongly, especially since your gap year plans do not seem to be the kind that would make a big positive effect in exchange for putting your education on hold for a year.

Did you have ELC? If so, did you get an offer from UC Merced?

4 Likes

Well, sorry you had to learn that tough lesson. Even so, I’m shocked that you were locked out. If it were me, or I was advising my son, I’d do what @ucbalumnus recommended and choose the community college route. CA is well set up for that path. It’s still competitive to get to the next step, but you’re a good student, and should do fine.

If you’d rather start a 4 year now, Michigan Tech, Penn State and Ohio State are all still taking applications. Washington State would be friendlier on the wallet though as it’s WUE. All have ABET accredited CompE programs. It can’t hurt to throw out applications if any appeal to you.

Good luck.

9 Likes

Forgive me for being “Johnny Correction,” but Ohio State is not accepting freshman and Penn State is not accepting apps to University Park, their main campus.

Being from CA, like I am, then University Park would be the only PSU campus that I’d recommend to my kids, but I recognize every family is different.