Is Bates open minded to more conservative ideas?

Hello all,
I’m looking at political science at Bates College in Maine; it has everything I’m looking for in a school. I’m religious, right-of-center, and very libertarian. The school is obviously very left-leaning, but it advertises itself as very quirky and accepting. Most of my friend group is LGBTQ+ and very leftist, and I’ve learned how to navigate and maintain relationships with people I disagree with. However, I’m not sure how professors and the administration would react to ideas challenging their status quo. Would I be able to succeed academically, socially, and emotionally at Bates?

@Lindagaf ?

They’d love it. And I’m sure the profs would love to chat with you about your ideas.

I don’t think most students at Bates are super interested in anyone’s political ideology. It’s not a politically active school, except maybe during elections. People have opinions, they are socially aware, really don’t care about anyone’s sexuality, and are just mostly laidback, friendly, and academically motivated students. There’s a good contingent of outdoorsy kids, nerds, athletes, and creative types. Other kids too. I wouldn’t say that Bates kids are very quirky. Some are, most are pretty normal.

Bates was founded on egalitarianism. No Greek life, right from its founding. It accepted African Americans and women years before many other LACs in the northeast. It was one of the earliest adopters of test-optional policies.

D had friends who majored in PoliSci and loved it.

You mentioned being religious. Bates has a very active and popular multi-faith chaplaincy. That might appeal to you. The chapel hosts all kinds of events. Multifaith Chaplaincy | Bates College

Obviously my opinion of Bates is based on my own kid’s excellent experience there. She was very shy and quiet. She needed the environment that Bates offers to become the outspoken and proactive young woman she is now. Bates was amazing for her in so many ways.
You can have a look at this thread if you want more insight. How Bates prepared my student for her future

7 Likes

Not sure why a “very libertarian” person would have any disagreement with someone being LGBTQ+. Would your disagreements be mainly in fiscal and economic issues, rather than social issues? These generally tend to be less hot-button “you are either with us or against us” type of issues than social issues.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your response! That was exactly what I was hoping for!

I don’t want to debate specifics, but though I’m not a fan of the government telling people what to do, I am still socially conservative. Thus, I’m concerned about being a pariah in many, more left-leaning, colleges.

I will provide a somewhat contrarian opinion to the rest of the crowd, based on the fact that you mentioned that you are socially conservative. I could see Bates as possibly being uncomfortable, given that additional information. Obviously, there isn’t any need to share in what ways you are socially conservative, but if it means that you are some combination of pro-life, against same-sex marriage, against gender affirming care for trans youth, anti affirmative action, then you will find yourself in the minority viewpoint at a school like Bates. I certainly don’t think you’d be a “pariah” but I do think that the student population at Bates would overwhelmingly share the opposite views on those issues.

3 Likes

I based my response on his statement that most of his friends are LGBTQI. It seems he is happy to have all these groups as friends. If he goes to Bates though and openly says he is against the things you mention, he is going to have a hard time fitting in, for sure.

I got the impression he was more interested in how his libertarian viewpoint might be received on campus. I don’t think that’s going to be a big issue and I think he will be able to have conversations about those viewpoints and not end up being a social outcast. Certainly he will be able to observe his religious views.

3 Likes

Several off-topic posts deleted. I don’t recall the OP expressing what their particular concern is vis a vis their own beliefs aside from being libertarian. Not do they need to on a site called college confidential.

So let’s not make any assumptions, because that needlessly derails the thread.

With that attitude and ability to maintain friendships across political divides, I wouldn’t really worry about succeeding in most places. The vast majority of faculty welcome serious discussions about any topic in their field. They may not welcome comments and arguments which are off-topic or which are set forth to generate controversy. However, from what you have written about yourself, you do not seem to be likely to do so.

With a tiny number of exceptions, I think that you would do well at any left-leaning college.

7 Likes

I guess my question would be, are you also open minded? (Whether to less conservative ideas, or otherwise.)

The purpose of college is to learn and to broaden, refine, and sometimes shift your world view based on what you learn. I don’t see arriving at Bates with more conservative views as a problem in and of itself. But to me, your question reads as if you’re not seeing your own world view as subject to re-examination, while at the same time you’re looking for others to be open to your ideas. It isn’t the views themselves, but that imbalance (if it exists) that I think might be a problem. If what you really mean is “My life thus far has led me to embrace these views; I want to see how my ideas hold up in a community of learners, and I’m willing to be persuaded but want to make sure I’ll be with peers who are too,” then I think you’ll be just fine at Bates and many other places.

11 Likes

I don’t read it that way at all and maybe OP can clarify. I read it as “this is what I believe, I don’t dislike people for what they believe and would like to not be disliked in return.”

Edited to add: after rereading your reply, I’m not sure we necessarily disagree.

My entire reason for going to college, aside from getting a job afterward, is to put my values to the test and see if they are really correct. I really enjoy having productive discussions about important topics; that’s why I’m not looking at places like Hillsdale or Pepperdine. It seems like Bates is a great place for that.

5 Likes

That is exactly what I’m looking for. I enjoy having civil discussions with people about important issues, but I want to avoid a place where I am disliked as a person for my values.

3 Likes

That sounds perfect. I don’t enjoy creating controversy, so I feel like I’ll fit in well at Bates.

1 Like

I’m totally fine being in the minority; that’s what I expect at most colleges. I just don’t want to be an outcast or suffer academically due to my beliefs. It seems like that won’t happen at Bates.

2 Likes

Such an interesting statement. If you end up at Bates, it would fascinating to read an update from you in five years time. Will your values be tested and will they be correct? Time will tell.

Do consider that word “if.” Right now, your values are correct to you, just as anyone’s are to them at that particular time in their lives.

We are all capable of shifting our views, but are we open to it and do we need to? Questions that you may find yourself seeking answers to once you get to college, wherever that may be.

Best of luck in your journey. I look forward to your update in 2028!:blush:

P.S. Professors won’t base your grades on your political views. Be prepared to demonstrate your critical thinking skills. That will be much more important.

8 Likes

I wish more people, across the entire ideological spectrum, were willing to put their values to the test!

My nonpartisan 2 cents would be that the most important single thing to be gained from a college education is nuance. I doubt that you’ll come away feeling that your values were wholly incorrect - but your takeaway may be “it’s not as simple as I thought,” and hopefully your liberal peers will feel the same way. An absolutist value system is never a mature one, no matter how noble the principles. Absolutists stances are comfortable and tempting, but rarely (as you say) productive in solving real-world problems. At this point, college campuses are one of the few remaining incubators for nuance; there sure isn’t much in public discourse!

I think a thread about which colleges and universities are particularly good at this (or not) would be very interesting. (And before someone suggests that the FIRE free speech rankings are a good proxy for cultivating nuance, I don’t think it’s quite the same thing.) It sounds as if several people have vouched for Bates in this respect, at any rate! Where else are you considering?

7 Likes

Sounds good! See you in 2028

Great thoughts! Nuance is so important in our current world, which seems so polarized.

I’m planning on applying to the following schools-

Safety:
Elon
Gettysburg
Union College

Target:
Franklin and Marshall
Lafayette

Hard Target:
Richmond
Bucknell
William and Mary