is bioengineering/biomedical engineering possibile for an african american like me?

<p>African American Female
Junior In Highschool</p>

<p>I dont remember my freshmen & sophomore courses and grades but no grades lower than a B.</p>

<p>GPA 3.97 (unweighted) 4.5 (weighted) -- top 10%</p>

<p>Junior Year (current year)</p>

<p>Calculus 1 IB (also dual credit) - A
Physics 1 IB - A
English IB - A
Psychology IB - B
Environmental Science AP - A</p>

<p>Senior Year (next year)</p>

<p>I know i will be taking calculus 2 ib, physics 2 ib and english ib .</p>

<p>My act scores... Im struggling...
Math - 28
English-26
Reading-30
Science-20 (Ironic my science score is LOW but I have no problems in the classroom).</p>

<p>My activities:
Basketball 4 years - 3 years varsity
Tennis 2 years - 2 years varsity
Cross Country 2 years - 2 years varsity
Science Club
National Honor Society
Summer Scholars: an introductory program to medicine held at UMKC school of medicine
Science Pipeline held at UMKC (engineering & medical program)
Saturday Academy (Medicine) held at UMKC school of medicine
I am about to start volunteering at a Hospital probably about 3 days a week, starting next month. I am also about to join Habitat for Humanity.</p>

<p>I really enjoy hands on learning. I am pretty sure that I am going to apply to Medical School after college. I don't want anyone to tell me that there is easier ways to medical school because I know that. I just want to know, (according to my academics) if you think it would be possible for me to do well enough in bioengineering/biomedical engineering to go to medical school?</p>

<p>your gpa is very good. I’m surprised your are not in the top 5%. it all depends where you are from and what kind of school you are from. schools from the northeast tend to do better than school from the south. so if your school is decent, you will have no problem.</p>

<p>I think you have a great chance. I am am planning on doing Chemical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering as well.</p>

<p>@Vloria oh that’s great … what schools are you considering?</p>

<p>Please note: My list isn’t the best it could be because when I applied, I wasn’t sure whether or not I wanted to do engineering and I wasn’t sure what type of engineering I wanted to specialize in so I could choose schools accordingly. Waiting for other decisions is going to make me so anxious! </p>

<p>I applied to:
* CUNY City C (Accepted into Non-Engineering because I was Undecided During Application Process)
* Columbia U (Waiting)
* Cornell U (Waiting)
* Drexel U (Accepted into Chemical Engineering with a scholarship)
* Duke U (Waiting)
* Elon U (Waiting [Applied to 3/2 program in engineering for some reason])
* Johns Hopkins U (Waiting)
* MIT (Waiting)
* Northeastern U (Waiting)
* Rensselaer Polytec I (Waiting)
* SUNY Binghamton (Accepted into Watson)
* SUNY Buffalo (Waiting)
* SUNY Stony Brook (Waiting)
* Syracuse U (Waiting)
* U Pittsburgh (Wait listed for Engineering School)
* U Rochester (Waiting)
* Worcester Polytec I (Accepted with a scholarship)</p>

<p>thanks for the feedback keep it coming please</p>

<p>First and foremost, you have an excellent academic record. I would hope that you continue on your current trajectory, because if so, you’ll be quite pleased with your schools around this time next year.</p>

<p>With regard to whether or not biomedical engineering or bioengineering is possible, I would like to encourage you not to restrict your choices in such a fashion. Though I applied to college as a likely Political Science and Economics major, I now find myself on a track to do Molecular and Cellular Biology, and if I had gone to a school where engineering was separate from the other subjects, I would not have had such freedom in my choices. Though some schools are excellent options for engineering (Columbia SEAS comes to mind immediately), there are plenty of other schools where you won’t be required to apply to a particular major.</p>

<p>@ksarmand thanks for the feedback</p>

<p>^Oh, you’re welcome! :)</p>

<p>However, if you’re having difficulties with standardized tests, I’d encourage you to try your hand at the SAT and perhaps change the way you’re preparing for the ACT. Check out the SAT/Test Preparation Forum - there’s some really excellent advice there.</p>