Is FAFSA form required, even for merit aid?

<p>I know, I know. Everyone says “just fill it out.” But it really is pointless paperwork in our case, especially this year. So what I need to know is: do UC’s require the FAFSA even if giving talent or merit aid? Have scoured the websites and made a few calls, but still no answer. So if anyone here knows… Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Yes, it is required (and is at most colleges that I know of). The reason being is that they want to be sure that you aren’t eligible for any federal or state funds before they give out their own $$.</p>

<p>Thanks. Although at most colleges my son is applying to, we have checked and the FAFSA is NOT required for purely merit/talent scholarships. I’m just not comfortable divulging financial information for no good reason, confidential or not. I guess for the UC’s, we will have to buck it up.</p>

<p>j-mom:</p>

<p>If your S is looking for a Regent’s scholarship, I don’t believe that fafsa is required.</p>

<p>My son is auditioning for a music program. Any scholarship he would get would be based on talent/merit. His stats alone would not put him in scholarship territory, but his playing could, depending on the school. I’m just not sure how these things work.</p>