Is it a good thing to apply to a Catholic University because of URM status?

<p>I'm planning on applying to some catholic universities (Villanova, Fordham, etc.) and i've been told that I would probably have a good chance because low amount of African-Americans that frequent catholic universities. This wouldn't be the only reasons i'm applying to them, but would that be a good idea in the long run? I'm not sure if the lack of diversity would be a good thing.</p>

<p>…bump…</p>

<p>Can anyone offer any assisstance on this question?</p>

<p>I’m not really sure. I have also been wondering the same thing since I want to apply to Notre Dame. Their seems to not be that many "black catholics " in general, not only in at catholic universities, but in the country alone, they are pretty much nonexistant. I would think that being an African American applying to a catholic school would offer some sort of advantage due to the sheer lack of “black catholics”.</p>

<p>My son is both black and Catholic. He was accepted to 4 Catholic colleges: Marquette, Xavier (OH), John Carroll and St. Louis University. His stats were in the 50% range of all the schools, so I don’t think his race or religion was an influence. He was invited to apply for scholarships based on both service and diversity at Xavier and SLU. So while race did not affect admissions, it was a factor in scholarship offers. </p>

<p>Best wishes on your applications. IF you have the stats and the grades, your ethnic background will probably work in your favor.</p>