Is it hard to maintain a 3.0 GPA in nursing school?

<p>I am going for nursing, and a 3.2 (freshman year at their school) is required to get into the nursing program. A 3.0 is required to stay in the nursing program. Anyway I was just wondering if it was that difficult? </p>

<p>Do you have to spend all your free time in order to get a 3.0 GPA?
or
As long as you apply yourself you'll get a 3.0 GPA?</p>

<p>I believe the answer depends upon the college. If you are in a college with highly competitive admissions and have to take classes competing with a room full of pre-meds in a hard science class, it will be harder to get an A or A-. </p>

<p>If you are attending a college where you are in the top 25% of students in aptitude, it will be easier to maintain a higher GPA. That situation may also earn you a merit scholarship, which may also require that you maintain a minimum GPA to keep the aid. That is why it may not always make sense for a nursing student to attend a “reach” school to which they barely earn admission. </p>

<p>Some colleges separate out their nursing students into their own sections for science class. </p>

<p>It is often said that nursing students work harder and longer hours than most students in most colleges. </p>

<p>If you don’t have a good aptitude for science, you will have much more trouble making it through with a sufficient GPA. A good test of this is to take AP bio in high school .</p>

<p>Also, please realize that some colleges that involve applications into the nursing program during the first or second year of college may have a minimum GPA, but the actual average GPA may be higher to earn admission, because there are few seats for the demand. There are some flagship university programs where people have reported that a 3.7 was often needed to be accepted as a nursing major. I’d ask questions about how many applications there were last year, and how many were offered admission. To cover yourself, you may also wish to apply to a couple other colleges as a transfer. That also is a good reason to try to get into some direct entry nursing programs, if they are available to you.</p>

<p>^^ Like Charliesch said, it depends on the college & that particular college should have info for you.
For ex: my D has a good friend who was a " pre-nursing " student last year at another state college &
got accepted into the Nursing Program.
That nursing program said they had over 470+ applicants for only ~60 seats, and
the admitted students college GPA ( not high school ) was close to 3.8 ( average)</p>

<p>My D’s friend who got in & said they had to take all the science classes w/ the rest of the college. ( Very large class size & that college made the A & P a weed out class ).
Is it " easy" to maintain a 3.0 ? I don’t know …my D has asked her friend many times & she said she has no problem even though the science classes was hard & has time to do other things. </p>

<p>So I am assuming that in order to get in a 2+2 program, a pre-nursing student will need a GPA that is higher than the minimum in order to get in. …And some programs only count the Nursing re-reqs GPA , not the electives…so ask the school you’re interested in how they do it.
Good Luck</p>

<p>Ditto what @charliesch said. Does the 3.0 guarantee you a spot or is that what it takes to be considered? Ask. How many spots are there and how many applicants? If you can get a GPA for students actually admitted to the program, so much the better. </p>

<p>How difficult to keep a B average? Depends on the school, the class, and even the section. </p>

<p>Hey @acrot96‌! I’m currently a sophomore nursing student at UConn. My high school grades weren’t the best, as I had a couple of C’s and graduated with a unweighted gpa of 3.2. I just finished the semester with a 3.63, and this semester was considered one of the ‘hardest’ semesters at my nursing school. So it’s not hard to maintain a 3.0, as long as you put your mind into your studies. Yes, it will be hard and you will struggle, but the most important thing is to not give up and keep your head up! Good luck!</p>

Our daughter was just accepted into UCONN. We did not have UCONN on our radar, since it is such a large school and our daughter thought she wanted a smaller, more personal environment - where she felt she is more than a number. Well, private schools (even with merit scholarships) are extremely expensive and our daughter is now considering UCONN. Do you have any information on the program to pass along. We have been searching the internet for reviews and aren’t finding enough to give us an idea of how the nursing program is. Your comments were the first I have seen to address the exact issue we are worried about. She has a 3.5 GPA in high school and her worry is how she will perform at UCONN - with large classes and higher GPA students surrounding her. Any additional insight you can provide would be very welcomed. We will attend the admitted student day, but we are looking for some honest feedback along the way.