Is it weird coming to TAMU Out of State?

Hi! I’m from Tennessee, and Texas A&M is one of my favorite colleges on my list. However, I am concerned about the very low number of OOS students- less than 5%! Is is weird coming to TAMU from another state?

My son is experiencing huge culture shock. However TN and TX share a closer culture (we have family in both states) than where we are from, so you may not feel as out of place as my son does. If you love team spirit and love football, you’ll probably love A&M as Texans are very friendly and helpful.

If you are considering the Corps, then please read my other thread. Being out of state adds additional layers of stress for cadets. You have less opportunity to see family, or go home on free weekends. These breaks seem to help the Texas cadets cope.

Hi, @katydeli! I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to assure you that if you choose TAMU, even though you come from Tennessee, you are still and Aggie through and through, and you will be treated as such. J-Dough is right that coming home is not as easy, and that can create a certain amount of homesickness for some. However, my son was not able to come home all semester until November, so we went to visit him a couple of times, and that worked out so well for all of us. He was not homesick, and he just made the most of his quiet weekends on campus to stay on top of his studies, which ended up being a very successful semester. Just be prepared to do a little two-stepping with the new friends you make, and you’ll be fine!! Best of luck to you!!

Aggies are very friendly & welcoming. They are also polite, family oriented, respectful & spirited. It is easy to fit in, my two had no problems. Their friends became like family. It is NOT a commuter school, so lots of people are there every weekend. Some do makes trips home, but don’t be surprised if they invite you along! My kids had offers all the time & ‘mothering’ in Texas is quite the tradition, always room for one more! We visited them as well & have since ‘adopted’ many of their friends as part of our family as well. Parents are VERY welcome here & are encouraged to join in the fun :slight_smile: