Is online high school considered homeschool?

Hi I’m a homeschooled student and I want to know if private online high school considered homeschool when I apply to universities? I’ve started homeschooling since middle school. I enrolled in private online high school since the first term of Grade 12 this year and will receive a diploma when I graduate from this school. But how should I write about my education in college application? Am I still considered as a homeschool student when applying for college? I spent more time in homeschool and only part of time and a few courses in private online high school. I will get a homeschool diploma and the diploma from this accredited private online high school at the same time. I learned most of my courses in my homeschool, and I just want to take some extra courses in this private online high school and receive an accredited diploma. And I took courses in this online high school and my homeschool at the same time, so I’m not completely rely on this online high school. But it makes me confused that whether I am considered as a homeschool student or a private high school student when I apply to college?

I’m guessing that technically, you are not a homeschooler if you are currently enrolled in private online school. Does the private school have your homeschool records and did they accept your homeschool credits? If so, that would facilitate things a lot. If you are graduating from a private school, you will list the name of your private school on your application and they will need to send your counselor report and transcripts to the colleges, etc. For schools that require teacher letters of recommendation, these will likely also need to be submitted by the school, though you can use a community leader, coach, etc. for one of the additional references.
I would suggest explaining your educational background in your essay or in the “additional information” section. My son is graduating from an online public school, so technically not a homeschooler either, but one of the colleges he applied to requested a homeschool supplement from the parent, guardian, or learning coach. I used it as an opportunity to highlight all of the advantages of online school (e.g., increased level of independence and time to pursue academic interests in more depth, more time for community involvement, lots of opportunities to work with people of all ages, volunteer, etc.)

1 Like

Hi Thanks for your help! The private online high school I attend did accept my homeschool record and credits. I will receive both my homeschool diploma and my online high school diploma. I will receive an online high school transcript and incorporate its courses and credits into my final homeschool transcript since I will continue to study my homeschool courses. But I wonder whether I should ask my homeschool guidance counselor or the guidance counselor of the online high school to help me submit my school report, transcript and recommendation letters? I think my homeschool guidance counselor (also my tutor) knows me very well, because we has known each other for a long time since I was a middle school student. But I think the guidance counselor of the online high school is usually busy and we don’t have much contact, so I’m worried that she may not know me as much as my homeschool guidance counselor… If so, should I apply to colleges as a homeschooled student?

Apply as a homeschool student.

Yeah, that guidance counselor report carries a lot of weight. In that case, it would be better to select the counselor who knows you better, if at all possible. You can still submit the grades from the online school. In fact, most colleges will specifically request official grades from any colleges, other schools, etc. So it sounds like overall it would be to your advantage to apply as a homeschooler since that guidance counselor know you best. One caveat: many colleges strongly recommend or even require standardized testing for homeschoolers, so that is something else to bear in mind.

Thanks for your advice! I know that standardized tests are important but I’m also a little worried about this…Currently I live in Asia and I can’t go abroad to take AP exams in May due to the serious situation of COVID-19. But I wonder if AP is really important for my application to top universities like Ivy, MIT and Stanford? I hope to take other exams like SAT, A-Level. And I also know that there’s a type of exam called CLEP…So I wonder if I can have a chance to take CLEP tests, can they be used to replace AP and demonstrate my academic ability in different subjects? Is this helpful for applying top schools if I really don’t have a chance to take the AP exams?

Based on our experience I think ACT/SAT and CLEP will be enough to validate your homeschool/online school record. My daughter is homeschooled and she submitted ACT scores to all schools but did not submit AP scores. She also took a lot of dual enrollment/community college courses. She was accepted to Univ. Southern California, Washington & Lee, Santa Clara and others (16 acceptances). The only rejection she got was Claremont McKenna. She didn’t apply to any Ivies. I believe that her Letters of Recommendation and essays were the most critical part of her application, but that the ACT (although not a top score -33) and dual enrollment classes were also very important.

It depends on your state. In NC you are a homeschooler even if you take all classes from an online accredited school. You’ll use the homeschool code on common app and your parent will have to make a school profile and can explain your schooling history there. Your homeschool transcripts can pull all your grades into one place but then you can also upload the transcripts from the online school as supporting evidence.