Is Smith College well-known? And do people enjoy their time there?

Is Smith College well-known and well-respected by employers in the US? Additionally, do many Smith students enjoy their time at Smith?

It is well respected as an all women”s college with many famous alumni. I don’t know about employers but I know people do very well there. I know that the social work masters program (the only program where I have had a lot of personal contact with) produces very strong social workers and they are placed for their internship/practicum all over at least the Northeast to MidAtlantic corridor. I worked with a bunch of the students in Maryland the reason that I have met them.

3 Likes

Yes and yes. Smith attracts internally driven, intelligent, motivated students. The graduates are known for being confident problem solvers and creative thinkers. The high quality of the courses and professors provides an outstanding education at a campus that is really lovely. My first year is thriving there.

3 Likes

Looking at the date, I realize OP has likely made her decision already (but on the off chance you haven’t @cshwwww, do you have a particular field in mind?). But for future reference…

Nearly two years post-graduation, one geographic move, and many corporate interviews later, I think Smith’s name-brand recognition is great and moderately well-respected except among those who grew up in New England, went to a liberal arts college, or are social workers, but relatively unknown among the majority who do not fall in those three categories. So, it depends on where you want to live after graduation and your industry. Of course, going to a school without name-brand recognition will not necessarily ruin your chances at a good first job or graduate school, but you will need to work harder than those from name-brand recognition schools. You won’t be given the benefit of the doubt on school name. However, Smith’s lack of name-brand recognition among some demographics is partially offset by several advantages Smithies have in recruiting: a strong Smith alumnae network, a collaborative student body, and a national push towards diversifying many industries (it’s very efficient for employers to gender-diversify by stopping by the Pioneer Valley to recruit women and non-binary individuals at Smith and Mount Holyoke).

On the question of whether or not many Smith students enjoy their time at Smith, Smith’s freshman retention rate is 95% as of this writing, which is higher than the average of 81%. This indicates that most freshmen (at least) enjoy their time at Smith.

2 Likes

My first year is enjoying herself, but it is far from perfect. She LOVES the student community and has made great friends. The administration could be more supportive and listen to student concerns more. This is no different from any other college though. It’s definitely a school where social fit is key.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I decided on smith! I’m majoring in environmental science and I’m planning to go to law school for a career in environmental law. I heard a lot of great things about smith overall and I got to negotiate my financial grant aid with them so overall I think I made the right decision and it will be worth the extra money I’ll have to pay compared to a state school

10 Likes

Smith is considered a “Little Ivy” and one of the highly selective Seven Sisters Colleges, which are only 5 colleges now. Vassar become coeducational and Radcliffe was absorbed by Harvard University. It’s well know and decidedly respected, as being one of the most elite women’s colleges, by the intellectually posh in the states and abroad. It has educated many famous women, sports a strong alumni network, and is one of the top producing institutions of Fulbright Scholars. It is ranked #17 in National Liberal Arts Colleges.

1 Like

#13 this year!

Yes, Smith is well-known among certain circles for its rigorous academics and close-knit community. My daughter applied and was admitted, but decided she preferred a coeducational experience. One of her good friends attended though and had a rough first year with her housemates (that can happen anywhere). By sophomore year, she settled in and really seemed to enjoy her time there. She was a science major and found the Smith community supportive and collaborative.

It’s wonderful that you were able to make it work financially. I hope you’re having a fantastic semester!

1 Like