Is the L&S Honors Program Worth It?

There is also the Honors in the major and comprehensive honors which is both major and liberal arts. Three ways to get the designation. I also really like the lack of segregation of honors students. Plus- one size does not fit all, especially when I saw what some schools required with “honors seminars”, honors survey courses…

Honors sections of classes can involve time in grad labs, and either doing the thesis or grad level courses. Really student directed. You get out what you put in.

Does anyone know the selection criteria for admittance into the honors program? Also does anyone know how many students are accepted into honors for a dietetics major or how difficult getting into the honors program is?

There is room for all who qualify- no set numbers. But- you need to show interest by filling out the application. Your L&S major doesn’t matter for the L&S one. Likewise I’m sure for other schools/colleges. Remember, you do this for YOU, not a competition et al.

Several years ago, I asked about Honors admission for my own kid – how selective etc. He was darned lucky to be admitted to UW at all, and like all admitted L&S students, was invited to apply for Honors program. He wrote the 3 short essays, filled out the demographic information, and was thrilled to be admitted to Honors. When we asked about it here the spring of his senior year, the general response was that, if you do a thoughtful job on the essays, demonstrating intellectual interest, you will likely be admitted. There does not seem to be a quota. It really is about demonstrating interest in deeper intellectual engagement. Once admitted to Honors, you can do as much or as little as YOU choose – you can complete the requirements for Honors, or not.

Honors in the specific major has separate requirements, set by the department. So, there is “Honors in the Liberal Arts” which involves meeting the requirements for the L&S Honors program, and also “Honors” in the major. Students graduating with both “Honors in the Liberal Arts” and “Honors” in their major, graduate with “Comprehensive Honors.”

I’m a current Biochem major in both honors in the major and L&S, and honors is worth it. Even if you don’t ultimately pursue honors, the college has great advisors and events. The honors only classes are small, I had a class of 14 people where my ivy-league educated professor knew me my first semester. There really aren’t any downsides, and 97% of applicants are accepted.

As the decisions for RD haven’t come out yet, can you apply to honors after the rd decisions come out or is it reserved for ea kids

Everyone. Remember some of the top students will only have applied after they received decisions from other schools. The only advantage to EA seems to me to be finding out your decision earlier for some (many need to wait until all applications have been reviewed).

Decide if trying the Honors Program is right for YOU, regardless of anyone else’s decision. Look at the course offerings. If any Honors classes are on your radar you want to be part of it. Look at the added benefits outside of taking Honors classes as well. You can always quit taking Honors classes so no disadvantages. Just need to do the application and show interest with whatever essays et al.

I really don’t get the program. If it’s a true honors program then why shouldn’t the kids have higher scores and GPAs? And, if anyone can be admitted, then who wouldn’t want to do it? If there are no limits, then how do the break out sections with the professors stay small? If there isn’t any honors housing or earlier registration for classes, then what are the benefits again? You just have to write more papers and then get the “honors” designation on your diploma?

Our S19 is looking at mostly LACs but I’m hoping to find true honors programs (colleges, I guess?) inside larger research universities in case he would like some of the positives of a larger school. He’s been to UW for summer XC camp and loves the campus but, after reading these posts, I’m not sure the honors program will simulate the LAC experience at all.

UW L&S Honors does not simulate a LAC experience. The concept is that everyone admitted to UW is capable of doing Honors work, but not everyone is interested in pursuing it. My guess would be that most students admitted to in L&S do not apply to Honors, as writing more essays after you have been admitted to university just bores most kids. Honors sections of classes are generally capped at 20-24 students, so there are limits to the number of seats in any given Honors class. It is a course of study, not a distinct separate college within the university, as Honors may be at other schools, so no separate dorms, no early registration or other perks you may find at other schools.

For my UW kid, it was perfect – the a la carte approach allowed him to do as much Honors work as he chose (he graduated with Honors in the Liberal Arts – completing the breadth and depth requirements for Honors). Honors sections of larger lecture courses allowed him to work closely with leading professors in their fields, and Honors seminars provided even closer opportunities to work together. It is different from the “school within a school” model found elsewhere.

It IS a true Honors Program. And excellent- eons ago and now. Look at various colleges/programs at various universities (or colleges I guess). UW offers classes for freshmen through senior year- in depth classes in many fields. Just because the caliber of admitted student has risen over the decades it does not mean the courses have been watered down. By allowing all students to apply those interested whose gpa may reflect boredom in HS are not excluded. Most will not want the extra work, more intense classes.

An LAC does not simulate an Honors program. Not all (most) LACs are of the same academic caliber as UW. You see lower scores at public flagships than at some LACs because these U’s are large enough to serve both the elite and the above average college student. The numbers of peers with the same academic abilities can be greater than the numbers at top tier small schools. Percentages should not be used. Remember that there will be students capable of succeeding at the elite schools but go to their state flagship (or choose an elite OOS one). Not every top student is at the top ranked schools.

btw- there are Honors sections of classes, doing extra work to get the H after the grade on the transcript and courses that are completely for Honors with a different focus than the regular versions of material (they have separate course numbers). An Honors course could have a total of 50 or 100 students for the lecture with smaller labs and discussions. TA’s may lead labs and discussions with the professor’s oversight but these will be top tier grad students- often destined for top tier positions after their degree. Teaching Honors courses is a desired job for faculty. They get the best students who are actively interested in their class.

Different Honors designations for degrees including in the major and comprehensive depending on whether a student takes enough courses in their major and/or different areas (eg science, humanities, social science). Courses are not limited to junky seminars as freshmen or special survey courses but are in depth in specific subjects. I am most familiar with the STEM ones but know they exist for other areas.

Being available does not mean most will want to take advantage of the Honors program. It means a more intense academic experience. I could mean having the professor for your discussion section in a regular class or getting to do some time in a grad lab for chemistry as I did. Doing research for the Honors thesis like I did (in a pharmacology lab for Chemistry) or taking grad courses in math like my son did to meet requirements.

When you are looking at opportunities be sure to check beyond the general courses to meet breadth requirements and look at the courses available the final years. Look at specific majors as well. Getting to participate in a top Sociology department as an Honors student could be better than in an LAC.

btw- they are changing how regular calculus is being taught at UW. Got a newsletter from that department (had made a donation once since it was kid’s major). Less large lecture format and more working on problems ahead of the lecture time, collaboration and asking questions instead of just a professor lecture. Some topics do lend themselves to a large lecture- small group discussions are separate.

Some students can handle a large school, others need a smaller place. It requires independence and taking charge. Meaningful interactions with professors definitely occur at large U’s, especially for Honors students. The U is made up of many smaller components. Works well for motivated students.

Not sure about the “97%” acceptance rate. Of those that I know who applied to honors, 1 of 3 were accepted.

If a student does not get in as an entering freshman s/he can always apply later.