Is there no hope for non-honors students who intend to do STEM?

<p>I am just getting a feeling that because I am not among the best, but average, that I have no chance of making it. I want to major in Computer Science, but I am scared of all the “weed-out” classes that I will have to take. I am in the process of teaching myself math and some concepts of CS by myself before school starts next year. </p>

<p>(I am not able to get into Honors housing because I have low test scores, but the accepted GPA. )</p>

<p>Do you think a student who is not among the brainiacs of the school can make it in STEM majors?</p>

<p>Depends on your tenacity and level of motivation. If this is too difficult for you, then you may want to look in other areas. But if you’re willing to work your bum off and go to tutoring, and take workshops; you may be okay.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply :). I wish this WASN’T the major I wanted sometimes. I have nothing to fall back on. But I will try as hard as I can.</p>

<p>There are many kids that are more successful in college than a test score might indicate. I am a firm believer that learning to work for what you want early in life leads to a more successful life. Some people just do not test well. Work for what you want, be realistic about what course load you can handle (it may only be 4 classes instead of the traditional 5), and don’t spend too much time comparing yourself with others.</p>

<p>MIS might be a better fit if CS is too hard</p>

<p>Believe in yourself. You can do it! There are plenty of non-honors kids in engineering. Plenty are very successful because they will take the time to do coops, work while going to school, and stretch out their courseload over more than eight semesters. My son is in his final year of engineering, and meeting many kids he’s never met because they weren’t in honors, or lived in the dorms. They’ve been doing internships, working during the school year, and will probably have jobs when they graduate. Many of son’s high school classmates are in the engineering program at their state flagship, not in an honors program, and had jobs in the fall before graduating this year. You can do it!</p>

<p>I got around a 30 in English, 26 in reading, 25 in science, 27 in combined reading/writing (7 on the essay) and only a 19 in math.</p>

<p>Ok…so math is your weak area. What in math gives you problems? </p>

<p>Since Math is an issue for you, I want you to look at Management Information Systems as a possible alternative major. MIS is very strong at Bama.</p>

<p>The above would be a good alternative major for you.
All that math that is in CS isn’t req’d. All you’d have to pass is Math 121
That said, the moment you start any math classes, get your hiney signed up for tutoring at the tutoring center. It’s free. You sign up for sessions online. Don’t miss your sessions. Try a couple different people to find the one that is best for you.</p>

<p><a href=“Home - The Culverhouse College of Business”>Home - The Culverhouse College of Business;

<p><a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama;

<p>Edited to add…I now see that MikeW has also recommended MIS. :)</p>

<p>tutoring…
Center for Academic Success at Bama</p>

<p>[Center</a> for Academic Success - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://www.cas.ua.edu/default.asp?mobi=non_mobile]Center”>http://www.cas.ua.edu/default.asp?mobi=non_mobile)</p>

<p>Wontgetin…have you visited Bama yet?</p>

<p>I can’t speak knowledgeably about computer science, and let’s just say mathematically there’s a reason I have never taught higher than second grade. But don’t count yourself out because you don’t test well and you’re not in the Honors College. How are your work habits? Are you persistent, and will you be ok with possibly having to work harder than others around you? As a teacher, what I observe is that those kinds of kids often do better than innately intelligent kids with good test scores.</p>

<p>The way I understand Computer Science is you either get it or you don’t. As a chemical engineer, I can attest to this. I can do math and science - but can’t program my way out of a paper bag. My brain just can’t wrap itself around programming logic, for some reason.</p>

<p>If you have done some programming and know that you ‘get it’ and like it - you may get through the CS curriculum requirements without any problem. The difficulty will be if you struggle in math because CS is math-intensive. If you can commit to getting tutoring, if necessary, in the math courses…you might do fine. </p>

<p>CS is very challenging, though. My son is pretty strong in math with some programming experience from high school - and the CS curriculum at UA is no walk in the park for him.</p>

<p>* The difficulty will be if you struggle in math because CS is math-intensive. *</p>

<p>Right. Cal I, Cal II, 301 Discrete, 302 Discrete, Stats, Linear Algebra</p>

<p>Lots of math. That’s why I suggested MIS instead.</p>

<p>@mom2ck, nope. I will be visiting in couple months. We are just waiting for school to be a little less busy.</p>

<p>@Whitlo, I honestly have no idea how my work habits are but I know if it is something that I am already confident with, such as anatomy or art or astronomy (very random examples lol), then I tend to go above and beyond. </p>

<p>In terms of math, I don’t know what gives me trouble. I guess studying the new concepts would be what I have a problem with. Everything seems so…different. With other subjects I could easily get by with a good memory. I could memorize 100 english words in 2 days with minimal studying before I could remember and execute 10 math formulas in a week. And having no prior interest in math before now doesn’t help. </p>

<p>No one in my family, immediate or extended, has ever majored in a STEM major so no one around me has ever been positive about math. As a matter of fact, the only STEM majors I know are teachers now that I think about it.</p>

<p>I am not completely terrible in math though. I usually get a B in normal math classes, and an A/B in honors physics.</p>

<p>well, keep an open mind about other majors. Look over MIS. MIS careers pay very well.</p>

<p>Have you taken pre-calculus in high school? Different schools call it different things but it is advanced algebra and trigonometry. If you did well in this class and actually understood it you can handle calculus. If you didn’t understand it well you may want to consider taking precalc at UA. I would expect that your advisor can help you with this.</p>

<p>Does UA have a math placement exam that entering freshman must take?</p>

<p>There is some kind of math placement. I know my son’s freshman roommate was an EE major and couldn’t get right into calculus. He didn’t have very good study habits, and I had my doubts he’d stay in engineering, but lo and behold, he is in his senior year, still in EE, will graduate either in May or maybe in December, only one semester later.</p>

<p>Again, please believe in yourself. Don’t give up! You can do it!</p>

<p>Does UA have a math placement exam that entering freshman must take?</p>

<p>Yes, but not all are req’d to take. Some students’ test scores or AP credits will allow skipping the test.</p>

<p>New Freshmen:
The University places freshmen students in their first UA mathematics class based on previous college mathematics credit, ACT/SAT Math Sub Score, ACT Math Subject Calculation or the online Math Skills Assessment. If you choose to take the online Math Skills Assessment, you must complete at least one week prior to your orientation session to ensure the score has been posted to your record.</p>

<p>No. I’ve never taken Pre-Calc. I was going to try and take it over the summer at my local community college after I graduate but I didn’t know if I could do that because I am already going to UA</p>

<p>You can do that if you want. It won’t matter that you’re going to UA. When will you be going to Bama Bound?</p>

<p>Thank! I am not sure. I was looking a the dates but I didn’t know if there was a specific one that I was supposed to pick. It will probably be after May when I graduate.</p>

<p>You can pick the one that fits into your schedule. They’re all after May 1.</p>

<p>You’re in Calif, right? Is graduation around Memorial Day?</p>

<p>Look at your local CC and see how their summer classes run. They may have two sessions. If you go to BB before you take your summer math class, you may have to either later change your math class.</p>