Is there something at Bama for a really smart person? Socially

<p>Okay I’m considering bama…
I’m out of state, and a minority… I have no problem with that though, I love meeting new people
I am very social, athletic, etc etc, I won’t be considered weird…</p>

<p>I dont mean to sound all arrogant and cocky but if I went I would be really smart there…
Just comparing the averages and stuff and where else I’m applying to, I would be well above average…</p>

<p>Is there something at UA for me? I want to major in business… </p>

<p>I am social, outgoing…</p>

<p>Although I will go out on the weekends and all that, I probably won’t ever join a frat… Is this going to be a problem? </p>

<p>I’m just worried I wont fit in…</p>

<p>What say you?</p>

<p>I kinda had the same sentiment… but Bama enrolls a TON of National Merit Finalists and kids with super high SAT/ACT scores, so I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m also a minority, into sports (I play varsity basketball and am a huge sports fan), and am also majoring in business, so we’re similar there. And the Asian population is small here so I’ve always been friends with people from all backgrounds. I also don’t plan on joining a frat. About 25% of guys are in a frat.</p>

<p>If you are considering Bama, you should definitely join the facebook group for Class of 2016… there’s already a lot of traffic and in the past couple of days we’ve talked a lot and gotten to know each other and everyone I’ve talked to is super friendly and cool. It might even tip you over the fence.</p>

<p>I’m guessing you will be in the Honors College if you were to choose Bama? If so, the Honors dorms are all amazing… and Ridgecrest South consists of mostly freshmen, and is close to the business classes. I’m 100% sure you’ll find your niche at Bama. Any doubts I had went out the window once I started meeting and talking to people, many of whom are in the same boat as you and me (out of state and just generally paranoid about not fitting in).</p>

<p>Here’s the link to the group:
[University</a> of Alabama Class of 2016](<a href=“http://www.facebook.com/groups/287746491251569/]University”>University of Alabama Class of 2016 | Facebook)
We’re doing personal introductions now, so it’d be great if you could come in, tell us a few things about yourself and chat with us.</p>

<p>Good luck and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I’m sure others will have more to say but here is what I know thus far…</p>

<p>Bama’s Honors college has many high achievers like you and offers many social avenues apart from Greek life.</p>

<p>My OOS son is considering Bama (30+ AP hours and 32 ACT, 4.8 GPA) and I feel he would not be “a top student” but would find himself in good company in the Honors college.</p>

<p>Bama offers not only good scholarship money but good programs as well (University Scholars-Masters in 4 years, many double majors, generous AP/IB credits) along with top notch facilities (have you toured the Business school, computer lab and Business library?) a beautiful campus and great school spirit. </p>

<p>Did I mention the football team is pretty good? and the basketball team is ranked #17 in the first USA Today poll released today? the Million Dollar Band is top notch, the womens gymnastics team won NCAA last year, etc…</p>

<p>If you haven’t been to see yourself you need to go visit the campus :)</p>

<p>You won’t be any smarter at Bama than you will be anywhere else. And if you’re truly smart you should know that you can learn things from anyone.</p>

<p>See this is why I was apprehensive about posting this, I must come off as extremely arrogant/conceited, which I assure you I’m not…</p>

<p>What I’m trying to say is that if I went to Michigan/Harvard/Penn/Berkeley etc, I would be at the middle 50th percentile, or probably lower. If I came to UA, I would surely be near the top. I realize I can learn something from everyone, that’s not what I’m wondering about.</p>

<p>It just happens that people of similar intellectual levels end up getting along well together and become friends. That’s what I’m asking about. I’m in no way a nerd. I’m very social, outgoing, etc. I’m just wondering if the campus atmosphere is for me…</p>

<p>And thank you Tommy, that was very refreshing, good to hear someone in the same boat as me</p>

<p>Like I said, there are a bunch of kids at Bama who easily could’ve gone to those top schools, myself included. Visit the campus, check out the facebook group and talk to some of us who are in the same boat.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting the FB info Tommykirkpatrick…I will pass on to my son. Another “smart” student choosing UA over other schools.</p>

<p>Another question…</p>

<p>Will choosing UA as a business school over a school like Ross severely hinder my chances of going to a top MBA school such as Harvard, Wharton, or Stanford?</p>

<p>^^^Hardly. Read this: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1220845-ua-grad-no-27-america-s-50-most-powerful-women-business-list.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1220845-ua-grad-no-27-america-s-50-most-powerful-women-business-list.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Who YOU are will determine where you go in life. If you’ve got the goods, you’ll make it. If not, it won’t be Bama’s fault. </p>

<p>If you’re interested in UA, schedule a visit. Your questions will be answered and your anxieties quelled. My son is a NMF, not at all nerdy, majoring in business, raised in a culture nothing like Alabama’s, and he absolutely loves the school, is challenged, has tons of friends from all over the country, and doesn’t have enough hours in the day to take advantage of all the cool stuff going on there.</p>

<p>Feel free to PM me if you wish and I’ll be happy to put you in touch with him.</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Bama’s avg. ACT and SAT scores for incoming freshman take a hit from the large, but decreasing number of students admitted who are on the low end of the spectrum. If you look at the upper range of the middle percentile for the ACT for example, UA is about the same as most other top notch Southern flagships, but its lower end is a bit lower than most other top state flagships. Here are two possible reasons for that differential: high AA enrollment (the avg. AA ACT score is sign. lower than the avg. non AA score) relative to most state flagships, and high enrollment of rural students relative to other state flagships. </p>

<p>With that said, given Bama’s size, currently 32, 000, there are thousands of really really smart top notch students on campus, as well as some low achievers, who are in decreasing numbers as the admissions process becomes increasingly selective at UA. UA only accepted 53 per cent of applicants for this Fall’s class. It accepted around 80 per cent about ten years ago. With the campus bursting at the seams, they will have to become even more selective, so don’t worry about the avg. being a bit lower.</p>

<p>enlightened- definitely check out the fb page! several of us are brains. and im in the same boat as you are, too. but the honors college is great, and so are the people. come say hi on fb :)</p>

<p>Short answer: Yes, there are lots of things at Bama for really smart people.</p>

<p>Long Answer: Some of the most intelligent people I know have low ACT scores and/or are not in the Honors College. That said, the Honors College functions primarily as an advocacy organization for top students. I say this because many people have the false impression that the Honors College is the place where all of UA’s “geeky/nerdy” students go to be walled off from the rest of campus. The reality is that most honors students are heavily involved in activities outside of the Honors College and fit in seamlessly with the non-honors student population. </p>

<p>As a business major myself, I can confirm that that the Business School highly values and rewards success. As a top student, you will be highly encouraged to participate in programs such as the Business Honors Program and the University Scholars Program, of which the latter allows one to earn both bachelor’s and master’s degrees at the same time.</p>

<p>*Ok first of all let me say that my GPA isn’t great, maybe a 3.75 unweighted but I’ve taken a lot of AP courses, and I know GPA is very important for top colleges.
So this probably puts more weight on my test scores.</p>

<p>My top 4 college choices are:

1. UPenn - Wharton
  2. Cal - Berkeley
  3. NYU
  4. University of Michigan - Ross</p>

<p>My ACT is a 35. My SAT is a 2290. *</p>

<p>if I went to Michigan/Harvard/Penn/Berkeley etc, I would be at the middle 50th percentile, or probably lower</p>

<p>If you went to H or Penn, maybe. If you went to NYU, UMich or Cal, I doubt it. Those are large schools.</p>

<p>NYU middle quartiles
SAT Critical Reading: 610 - 710<br>
SAT Math: 630 - 740
SAT Writing: 620 - 720
ACT Composite: 28 - 31 (So, top quartile has an ACT 32+)</p>

<p>UMich middle quartiles</p>

<p>SAT Critical Reading: 590 - 690
SAT Math: 640 - 750
SAT Writing: 610 - 710
ACT Composite: 27 - 31 (so the upper 25% is an ACT 32+)</p>

<p>The upper 25% at Bama is an ACT 30+ (which is 96th percentile and above)</p>

<p>I’m not using the SAT because Bama doesn’t super score, so that can be misleading to use when comparing to others who do. If NYU and UMich super score the ACT, then those numbers will be off as well,</p>

<p>You would not be the only one at Bama with high test scores I can assure you. </p>

<p>Each Frosh class has about 500 students who get the Presidential Scholarship. Bama has about 600 National Scholars on campus. Bama enrolled 182 NMF frosh this last Fall.</p>

<p>What you’ll notice at Bama is that the high stats kids are largely concentrated in about 10 areas of study…STEM majors (eng’g, math, physics, bio, chem), business majors, the challenging humanities, and some others. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t high stats kids in other majors, it’s just that they’re more concentrated in those areas.</p>

<p>Those who are in majors that are more “right-brained” may not have - on average - high test scores, but their talents don’t require the ability to do upper division math and they can do things that the “smarties” can only dream about. You won’t likely be taking their classes and they won’t likely be taking yours.</p>

<p>You should visit Bama…you’ll be pleasantly surprised. :)</p>

<p>BTW…you’re OOS for UMich or Cal or both. You might get some merit money from Mich, but expect to pay full freight or near full freight if you’re OOS for Cal (Haas). And, as many know, NYU gives lousy need-based aid, although Stern might give you some merit.</p>

<p>Enlightenedespot, this is a legit question and doesn’t make you seem cocky. This is a huge choice and I think a 1 shot deal for some major scholarship money. I am assuming if you find UA isn’t for you and you transfer out, you won’t be offered the same scholarship money as when you are an incoming freshman. I have the same concerns for my D and we are going to visit. Hopefully the visit will assure us that this is the school for her. There are definitely a lot of opportunities on paper. Plus I love the personal testimonies that we get here. Hopefully UA will live up to our expectations.</p>

<p>I am in state for Michigan so naturally everyone around me wants me to go to Ross, but reading all of your posts really make me want to come to UA even more.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for all your information. If you have anything to add, please keep posting, or private message me if you like, once again thank you…</p>

<p>My older D is an NMF at Bama; my younger D is a HS junior & in the middle of looking at schools. One thing I’ve said to younger D: each year about 1000 freshman enroll in one of the UA honors programs. The minimum ACT score to enter those honors program is a 28. So you have 1000 students each year in a very supportive program that have ACT scores from 28-36. If you look at the numbers for a lot of highly ranked LAC’s, their incoming freshman class often numbers less than 1000 students and their ACT bell curve closely mirrors that of the UA honors programs. All this to say that yes, you can certainly find things at Bama for a smart person :)</p>

<p>This is a lot like asking if there is something at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton for a really smart person. The only difference is the football is much better at Alabama.</p>

<p>Honestly it sounds harsh but the Honors college kids stick together a lot of the time :stuck_out_tongue: If you are in honors housing and go to the honors college events during orientation, you will meet the smartest, most interesting people you’ve ever come across. You will feel academically stimulated in everyday conversation with the people you meet here, have no fear!</p>

<p>Roll Tide Roll</p>