Is UGA becoming the MIchigan of the South?

You actually make my point earlier that UV is much more similar to UM than Georgia is to UM.

FYI - just looked up Phillips Exeter Academy matriculation the last 3 years:

University of Michigan: 17
University of Virginnia: 13
University of Georgia: Zero

Phillips Andover 2018:

University of Michigan: 3
University of Virginnia: 9
University of Georgia: Zero

@socaldad2002 Actually I think @Peterbeez is making the point that UVa is much more similar to an Ivy League school than UMich. But I thought Harvard was the MIchigan of the East. :lol: (I’m kidding!)

All of which is interesting since UMich (#25) passed UVa (#27) in the USNWR rankings behind UCLA and Cal as the top US public school. I wonder how that may or may not change historical preferences as we proceed into the future.

Yep, Forbes ranks Michigan #20 and Virginia #33, for what its worth.

Have you been to campus recently? The student union is being completely remodeled and is gorgeous old architecture. The East and West Quads are beautful old brick buildings. West Quad has beautiful courtyards that remind me of the Ivy League schools, like UPenn. South Quad is very nice, but the exterior isn’t as gorgeous as East and West Quads. The remodeled IM building is also beautiful. The new Biological Sciences Building? The Ross Building? Stockwell looks like Hogwarts. I can go on, but won’t.

Midwest workman-like? Sorry I don’t see it. I’ll have to disagree. If you like a mix of grand brick buildings and also newly designed modern architecture, then you’ll like UMich.

Well UGA plays GT this weekend, and the Falcons play the Saints. Busy weekend!

Looked like this thread was starting to become another rankings thread. Please, no.

Yes for the 500 kids capable of uva and Michigan out of New England exclusive prep schools it’s not a comparison.

For the rest of the known universe UGA is an intriguing option for many top students. If admitted to all three and the money is the same. UGA will get a few, of any, of these students. However the thousands of students just a fraction beneath these students would love to go to UGA if they could.

And remember many in state uva and umich students would not be accepted at UGA automatically. So it’s not like they have such different levels of actual student talent.

However the actual prestige and branding competition between these schools has UGA with some work to do out of state.

Not to throw a monkey wrench but how does UF compare in terms of difficulty to get into compared to Georgia, UVa, Univ Mich and UNC.

If you were to rank them all in terms of difficulty to get into using grades and SAT. Not which one is better.

Oos of state. Uva and mich one tier. UGA close behind. UF is so focused on in state by law it’s hard to compare.

For instate students they are all very difficult relative to the number of students who could consider them.
High stat and top tier students.

I do not think UGA is currently trying to severely increase the number of applications it receives, instate or OOS. They said in their admissions blog that it for this reason that they are not choosing to join the CA, and only recently joined the Coalition.

I’m pretty sure florida does not have a quota for in state v out of state. Still Curious on everyone’s thoughts on which they feel is harder to get into and ranking those schools in order of difficulty Again not which is a better school. For no other reason than curious on people’s experience

Just a comment from someone in CA – there is no real comparison between Michigan and UGA in terms of repuation and number of kids who apply. Michigan seems more in line with UCLA and Washington (UCLA a little higher and Washington a little lower). I don’t know anyone who has UGA on their radar. Though through our own research it does seem like a great school and we almost applied.

@jhmoney As far as difficulty in for admissions Michigan and UVA are peers and UGA and UF are peers but just slightly behind All of them are difficult to get in and none of them should be considered safety schools.
One thing to consider from the perspective of an applicant is that Michigan’s application is extremely time-consuming when compared to UGA and UF when it comes to essays.

It seems that Florida is trying to increase the OOS applicant pool which might make it even more competitive. Also, they just switched to super scoring which again might open it up to many more applicants. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in this year’s admissions cycle. Another thing to note about UF is that they also have some other alternative programs (Pace?} and a lot of their classes are held online. which is not ideal.

My dd is an OOS (NY) somewhat higher stats student and was thrilled to be fortunate to be admitted early action to UGA. Prestige and ranking by USNWR of a school has had little to do with her decision making process. She wants to be happy where she lands and have opportunities to be challenged and thrive. She knows a bachelors is not the end for her- and wants to be able to afford grad school and beyond. While she excels in stem, she did not want to go to a school that considered humanities to be merely an afterthought.

UGA is well loved by the people who go there and have graduated from there. It seems UGA will accept most (if not all) of her college level credits. It also has the double bachelors/masters program which will hopefully allow her to graduate within 4-5 years with both a masters and bachelors. The honors programs and other academic programs look fantastic. The town is rated highly. Merit money was a possibility and was offered. She now has an excellent and somewhat affordable out of state option in hand. All reasons UGA became a good possibility for her.

As a parent, I cannot speak highly enough about the admissions representatives (in particular David Graves) at UGA. The immediate feed back to questions, the constant updating of information on the internet as well as the honestly, humor and compassion shown, all make me feel good about my daughter potentially attending this school.

We also looked extensively at Michigan as we did many other flagships. It seems like a fantastic school. She chose not to apply there for many reasons, including the significant OOS cost as well as the weather, lol. If she was accepted, Michigan would cost us approximately $30,000.00 per year more than Georgia. In an apples to apples comparison of the two schools, my question would be: Is Michigan worth approximately $30,000.00 more per year?

For what it is worth, a couple of other students in her public school have applied to Michigan. I do not know if anyone else considered UGA. Heading south for college is just not something heavily promoted at their school. Their loss, imho.

1 Like

@gone2mrrw funny thing. I was saying same thing to my wife. Of the 10 schools my daughter applied to, Georgia has had the most communications and open details around the process. I am impressed on how they communicate to applicants. A lot different from the 9 other schools.

@gone2mrrw. Love your name. Very creative.

Big congratulations to your daughters acceptance.

So whether it’s worth going to Michigan for $30,000 more. It’s a great question when comparing just about any 2 schools. It’s a lot of money. Guess what else can I do with $120,000? Even if I saved a quarter of that to put in an investment account for my child and put the rest in my retirement account
 Hmmm

But
 I would normally say no. But I will say it depends on what they are going into. I honestly don’t know what Georgia is known for academically. For engineering and Business I would think it could be worth it. For Liberal arts most likely no.

https://news.uga.edu/uga-ranked-16th-by-us-news/

They were 13th the year before. Never really understand these rankings.

As I learn more I really like what I am reading. Here’s another ranking https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

UGA’s strong programs are their Journalism and Business schools. For northerners coming to the south, speaking in very general terms, they may feel they “find their people” moreso at UF than UGA. IMO, UF is harder to get into, especially for OOS-drs, and UF may ofer admission to have a freshman start in the summer or online (meaning traditional fall admission is somewhat harder to secure).

@Setter4life : It may be helpful to examine two well established college resources–US News & the Fiske Guide To Colleges–in order to answer your question.

While the University of Georgia is clearly moving up in the national rankings, now #50 National University compared to #25 for the University of Michigan, the University of Virginia at #28, UNC at #29, & the University of Florida at #34 are much closer to Michigan than is Georgia.

The US News Peer Assessment Scores are:

Michigan–4.5 (same as Northwestern, Duke & Brown)

Virginia–4.2 (same as Georgetown & Notre Dame)

UNC–4.1 (same as the Univ. of Texas & Emory)

Florida–3.8 (same as UC-Irvine & Tufts & Ohio State & Purdue)

Georgia–3.6. (UC-Santa Barbara & Wake Forest University & the University of Pittsburgh also have Peer Assessment scores of 3.6)

The Fiske Guide To Colleges gives academic ratings of up to “5 Pens”.

Michigan has a 5 Pen academic rating as do Northwestern, Duke, UC-San Diego, UCLA, Virginia, & all of the Ivies and many more colleges & universities.

The University of Georgia has a 3 Pen rating for academics from the Fiske Guide as do Syracuse University, the University of Maryland, Fordham University, Florida State University, Iowa State University, the University of Missouri, & Michigan State University among many other colleges & universities.

The University of Georgia has an outstanding Honors College and a very small number of super elite students known as Foundation Fellows.

Georgia’s popularity & selectivity are significantly enhanced by the offer of free tuition to many Georgia residents through the Hope & Zell Miller scholarships. (Similiar to the University of Florida’s Bright Futures scholarships.)

By design, the University of Georgia is trying to retain in-state talent while other schools–such as the University of Alabama, the University of Mississippi, Arizona State University, & the University of South Carolina–use scholarships to attract out-of-state academic talent.

In short, Georgia & Michigan are not alike other than in terms of total undergraduate enrollment numbers (28,000 versus 29,000 fulltime undergrads).

Simply put, Georgia & Michigan are in different leagues academically & with respect to perception nationally.

The USNews rating may be seen as largely a magazine seller. It’s flawed. And books like Fiske can be helpful but a year or so behind the times due to the publication dates and prior data gathering. Ruggs recommendations is an interesting resource.

@jym626: Do you know of any perfect system for rating & ranking colleges & universities ?