Is UGA becoming the MIchigan of the South?

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Please keep in mind that the Terms of Service state that CC is not a debate site. I edited and deleted several posts. Please move on.

@jhmoney

Florida caps oos admissions to 10 percent of UF spots. It’s actually closer to 5 percent. It’s incredibly popular in the state and is excellent in all disciplines.

“Non-Florida resident enrollment is capped at 10% by Florida Board of Governors regulations. The Board of Governors oversees Florida’s 11 public universities, including the Univ. of Florida.

Florida’s state universities look at new revenue streams - St. Petersburg Times”

With all the editing of the posts, @Publisher’s one line just jumped out. Aside from my grandmother’s homemade chocolate cake, I don’t know anything that is perfect.

As a UGA grad that no longer lives in Georgia who also has a parent and numerous family members that graduated from UofM I need to clear up a few things.

Is UGA on the same level as UofM? Nope. UofM is more established and has had an engineering school for over a century. Keep in mind the impact of engineering on salaries, stats of applicants, etc. GT and UGA combined is a better comparison to UofM.

Is it fair to compare UGA’s engineering program to UofM’s? This is probably the most glaring sign of the homerism that debate threads devolve into. UGA and GT were not allowed to offer competing degrees until very recently. Also UGA’s engineering program has to compete with GT’s. Overwhelmingly instate kids pick GT for engineering.

What about endowment size? UofM has been able to weather difficult times in the state of Michigan because of that endowment. It will continue to do so. On the other hand UGA has incredible support from the legislature, so it will continue to be a strong school. Both have money and that matters.

What’s missing from this thread is that there is a ceiling for public school “cache”. UofM and UGA are never going to compete in cache with Northwestern, Duke, Stanford, Princeton, etc. Instate kids have a really hard time passing on the UCs, UofM, UVA, U Dub, Wisky, UGA, GT, and UF, but when they do it’s for an elite private school.

Also there has been a very large exodus of UofM grads from Michigan. I talk/interview to UofM grads all the time at work or at my kid’s events. UofM grads are everywhere. UGA grads are in Atlanta.

Finally, I volunteer at my kid’s school to talk to students about UGA and GT. I didn’t ask to do this, but was recruited because of the level of interest. IMHO value is driving the interest, but there is also a fear of going to school in the deep South.

The original question was is uga BECOMING the michigan of the south. I can see how it’s on that path, but also I don’t think it will become equal. The state legislature has made it very clear that UGA has to take students from all over the state instead of the best HS, and that will limit the quality of the applicant pool. If UGA could take mostly kids from the northside of Atlanta things would be different.

Never is a long time. UMich already does compete with those schools in many areas depending on major, for example CS, Business, Engineering and others.

1 Like