Jacket Recommendations for Madison Winters

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>I just got into Wisconsin this week and I'm thrilled! My dad has offered to get me a nice winter coat as a "congratulations" gift (I definitely haven't needed one in California). I'm curious what the average female student wears in the winter. I was looking at a big puffy North Face jacket, but my dad told me I should look for something longer. Is this true? Do I need a hood?</p>

<p>Here are the two I'm looking at for now. Would either of these work? Any suggestions for others? Thanks!</p>

<p><a href="https://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=207&catalogId=10001&productId=128672%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=207&catalogId=10001&productId=128672&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The</a> North FaceWomen'sJackets & VestsWOMEN'S ARCTIC PARKA</p>

<p>I have also been looking at this one</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&productId=172758[/url]”>https://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&productId=172758&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The shorter one will be more useful. You might want the longer one a few really cold days but the rest it will be too much. Much easier to add a layer plus good earmuffs or other headwarmers. And don’t go by the first cold day. You do get much more used to it and after a few weeks 20 will feel comfortable and 40 will be T-shirt weather. It’s a cold below 0 wind that really hurts. That’s only a few days a year. I learned to avoid open spots and cut through warm buildings.</p>

<p>Thanks! I’m also curious what shoes people wear in the cold/snow.</p>

<p>I live in Madison. I’m a guy, but I just wear regular sneakers or moccasins in the snow. I have a kind of heavy winter jacket with a hood for really cold days and a bunch of sweatshirts for normal winter days.</p>

<p>From what I see for girls, a lot of them wear Uggs or those kind of boots</p>

<p>Wisconsin is a lot colder this year than it was five years ago. Be prepared for snow and cold weather from November through Feb/March. Wear more layers as you will be walking in the frozen snow for 10-20 minutes and then walk into a hot room.
We moved from the Bay Area to WI five years ago. Still trying to get use to the weather…Summer is gorgeous.</p>

<p>Rather than get a long coat which is less versatile, I recommend getting a good pair of long underwear for under your jeans - the ones from Smartwool are great (but expensive) but other brands are good too - check the outdoor type stores. Two layers on your legs plus the shorter of the coats you linked to would be fine unless you plan to spend a long time at a time outdoors.</p>

<p>I don’t agree. I’m a student at Madison and everyone wears those long North Face coats, including me. If you aren’t used to the cold (you see all these gung ho people from Wisconsin wearing hoodies in 20 degrees) you’re going to want it to be longer for sure.</p>

<p>North Face/leggings/uggs is the way to go for warmth without looking like a dork and 70% of all girls I see are wearing something similar.</p>

<p>wiscoplease:</p>

<p>RoxSox is right - very popular is The North Face Metropolis (The North Face Nuptse is too short, really short). I plan to get my daughter the Metropolis jacket for next year. The most popular color is black. Depending on your size, a lot of smaller girls can wear the child large or child XL which saves you money ($199 versus $279).</p>

<p>[The</a> North FaceWomen’sJackets & VestsWOMEN’S METROPOLIS PARKA](<a href=“http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/womens-metropolis-parka.html]The”>http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/womens-metropolis-parka.html)</p>

<p>No, no - unless you want to look like an old lady, don’t get that real long coat. Go the route web2094 suggests. There are so very few days (under 15 degrees and windy) that you would want the full length coat.</p>

<p>people people people, please settle down. it’s very simple and all of this research does not need to be done. I have lived in Green Bay, WI for the majority of my life and I don’t even plan like this. I just have a simple Columbia like this
[Columbia</a> Cascade Summit Winter Jacket](<a href=“http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens/coats/shopbybrand/columbia/PRD~630459/Columbia+Cascade+Summit+Winter+Jacket.jsp]Columbia”>http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens/coats/shopbybrand/columbia/PRD~630459/Columbia+Cascade+Summit+Winter+Jacket.jsp)</p>

<p>I use it most of the time during winter. The only exception is when it is very cold (10 and below) and when I ski, I will wear my $30 fleece underneath with the Columbia on top. This fits me well. I do not believe there is a need for a long coat that covers some of the legs. I wear jeans everyday during winter and my legs do not get cold.</p>

<p>Finally, yes I do sometimes wear only a hoodie during the winter haha, it’s not that bad people. Madison isn’t in Canada now.</p>

<p>Lastly, I wear my Nike basketball shoes everywhere, even while having the occasional snowball fight. They dry overnight and are very durable. You do not need to wear boots to class, that’s ridiculous. The only time you will need boots is while sledding or walking through snow over an extended period of time.
Also, always bring a hat and gloves!</p>

<p>Sorry–I couldn’t help it.</p>

<p>Recommending that long coat kind of makes you a coastie. (Just in case people would like actual examples of where the term is playfully used).</p>

<p>LAYERS, people. Bulky is obnoxious (and annoying to be next to in lecture).</p>

<p>Good one. I recall seeing some men wearing long wool overcoats in the late 80’s-very coastie.</p>

<p>Columbia is sold in many stores around the state. I suggest waiting for the winter coat purchase until next season, once you are at UW and have a chance to discuss with others and see what they will wear, bringing it after Thanksgiving or buying it locally when the supply and newest styles are most available.</p>

<p>Thanks everybody! I think that I’ll go with a shorter jacket for now. If I need something else, I may have to beg for it when I go home for Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>Long coats are very in right now - my daughter is so happy to be wearing hers now in 30 degree weather here at home and can’t wait to stay warm in it during sub freezing temps in Madison next year. For Christmas we got her the REI version of the North Face coat. She’ll also take a short jacket for the fall and those warmer winter days.</p>

<p>It is fashionable to look and be warm in Wisconsin. Anything goes when it is arctic outside. I’d get two coats (long and short),warm gloves, warm ankle high boots (you won’t be treading through snow and you don’t want to melt in class), moisture wicking socks and a cute scarf and a practical but fashionable hat. Don’t forget, if it is really nasty outside you can take the campus bus to get you quickly across campus. When the temps hit about 20-30 this time of year it feels like Spring and the native upper midwest kids will be out in sweatshirts and shorts. I grew up in Chicago so I was one of those crazy kids but not everyone subscribes to 20 degrees being Spring.</p>

<p>It’s amazing how one can acclimate. But anything under 20 with lots of wind is pretty nasty. With no wind even 0 can feel OK.</p>

<p>No, 0 is still nasty without wind chill added (those teens with wind bring the felt temps to near 0). Bottom line- wait until you are at UW next fall and can talk with current Wisconsin students who know the effects the weather has on your campus life and what works. The sales will be there and there will be a much better selection then. Also keep in mind that it doesn’t matter how fashionable you are- no HS popular crowd opinions that matter. You will find those who care and those who don’t care about and/or can’t afford fashion. Anything works.</p>