Jacobs University Bremen Decisions!

<p>I’m from the Philippines and I was accepted although I don’t think I got a scholarship (not that I expected one after submitting multiple late requirements :frowning: ) but, does the acceptance letter indicate the scholarship you received? And would it be safe to assume that I did not get a scholarship because the acceptance letter did not mention one?</p>

<p>My letter mentions the amount of FA I am offered. But no worries, you can try to send them emails to appeal your FA application. That might give you a chance of getting some scholarship.</p>

<p>Hi! What is the minimum GPA in Jacobs. And what scores I must achieve in SAT to get a scholarship? And if you got a scholarship, must you a refund?</p>

<p>There is no minimum GPA requirement for Jacobs as I suppose. And yet on the website, Jacobs does indicate if you want a scholarship your SAT, a more important factor for Jacobs scholarship, should be at least above average. The words are vague. However a score around 2100 can give you a decent chance of getting some sort of financial support. As both the competition and the reputation Jacobs has gained mots recent years, I assume the SAT inflation in the future is absolutely unavoidable.</p>

<p>Thank you. Do you study in Jacobs? </p>

<p>Jacobs is a good school in a middle of a non-English speaking country…it really is a rising star, however be ready to pay for your room and board or take out loans for that. That for me was a NO…NO…
Best of luck to those attending.</p>

<p>@mutefish‌
Yes I am an incoming freshman this year. Super excited to be able to go to Germany. In Jacobs’ view book it says the average score of students enrolled is 600 for CR, 700 for Math and 600 for Writing. So I would say Jacobs is as selective as many US’s big name schools. Another factor you can consider when you are applying to Jacobs is its admission round. Some of the current students told me they strongly recommend prospective students to apply early in order to maximize the amount of scholarship and grants since the admission has a rolling basis. I hope that will be helpful to you. In general, Jacobs is so much cheaper than its’ peers institutes. Also there are many merit scholarships that the local companies sponsor for you to apply. </p>

<p>Trust me. Finance won’t be in the way of Jacobs! That’s one of the reasons I decided to go there.</p>

<p>Well finances is a problem for me.</p>

<p>I was offered fa and a 7500 euro scholarship, but in the end I still need to pay 5500 euros without personal expenses. That means I would have to pay like 7000 euros each year, which are nearly $10000. It’s still a lot of money in my opinion. I tried asking them if they could help me find any other scholarship, but they are very reluctant.</p>

<p>I also admired Jacobs and I really want to attend it, but given the case that they don’t want to help me get more money, I think I will deny their admission decision. It’s still very expensive for me</p>

<p>Any body applying for masters program in jacobs???</p>

<p>Any body applying for masters program in jacobs???</p>

<p>I could use one or two advice! Would love to knw if Ders anyone applying for a masters program, or perhaps got info about masters program in jacob’s</p>

<p>@origbo07‌
Hi there, sorry I can’t give you much insights about master program in Jacobs. The school website is always the best place to find out the information. </p>

<p>Thanks anyway for ur reply, m just tryna find out more about the school n how they treat students. Ve already applied for d program n I got a mail for dem sayong all my documents has been recieved, complete n accepted n I shud I expect to here frm dem bfor ending of this month or begining of June! Eveñ checkd my application page n it shows my checklist as complete and all marked good! Any way, m just anxious n wondering if it’s certain I ll get d admission since dey say dey accepted my documents. Cheers</p>

<p>Well if that is the case, wish the very best on your admission to Jacobs. From my experience so far <i am="" a="" class="" of="" 2017="">, I found the faulty that I have encountered are extremely friendly. As far as for the students, I doubt you will see any student body that is more diverse and open-minded than what jacobs’ is like :slight_smile: Good Luck!</i></p><i am="" a="" class="" of="" 2017="">
</i>

<p>Where are all these misguided information coming from.
First of all Jacobs is not that competitive. Almost every American I know that applied got accepted with full tuition.
In addition, finance is a problem to many, because you still have to come up with your room and board cost, including other expenses like books, transportation etc.
lean the facts before you applied, and definitely wait for your award letter before you commit to Jacobs. </p>

<p>@hanghang, thanks for ur wishes :D. To tell u d truth, right now @ dis point in time, everything I think about is coming to jacobs n how awesome it’s goiñ to be. The waiting period for d admission letter s really exhausting. i was told d admission letter wud b sent towards d ending of may n beginning of June. And I also hope the school football team is awesome cos if Ders anything I can be defined with, it’s football. If u can, I wud like u to tell me abouh d city of Bremen, d least accommodation prices n what’s like living in d city.<br>
Also, anybody with useful information shud please speak up. With my checklist complete n all documents marked as recieved n accepted, does it mean m one foot in already? N the course s also an admission unrestricted. Is dat a good or bad thing? Thank all.</p>

<p>Hi, could any current student at JUB give me some insights: what it’s really like to be at JUB? There are many mixed reviews and I’m pretty confused after reading all the posts.</p>

<p>Is the admission extremely selective?
I mean @freakozoid has got really impressive stats, it looks like he/she is applying to MIT :slight_smile: .
@freakozoid did you get a full merit scholarship or you earned it because of your family’s financial circumstances?
Do you know any other student with a full scholarship, well ,with less extracurricular activities than you but equally academically achievements?
Thank you :)</p>

<p>When are we supposed to get our award letter for the Early Action round?
:slight_smile: </p>

Ok, I basically created this account just to reply to this and give a fair account because I have some friends who came and were similarly disappointed, and the reality is that Jacobs is not for everyone.

For me this was a tremendously awesome decision, but that’s because I spent months researching schools and study programs, and I made my decision being well-aware of what it was gonna be like. I’m a '17.

On Academics:
Teaching:
The teaching in the computer science department, biochemistry/cell bio and electrical engineering generally leaves a lot to be desired. There are very notable exceptions, Kohlhase, Springer and Antoulas for instance generally manage to entice students. Jaeger teaches well (I’ve been in a class he taught), but if you’re sleep deprived he won’t wake you up.
The reality is though, that you will find that since about half your courses are taught by great professors and about half are taught by crappy ones (for me it’s been 6 excellent ones, 3 average/good and 2 terrible ones), you won’t be getting too much out of lecture unless you’re in a theoretical class (read: involves serious math, where they’re usually better). Baumann for instance is really terrible. Here, you simply have to inform yourself on whether or not a prof is good to take his class or not/ skip lecture all semester but honestly I have friends pretty much everywhere else that is considered great in the world and unless you go to a Liberal Arts college where they care about teaching, professors’ ability to teach will vary dramatically because it has no correlation whatsoever to their ability to do research (what they’re hired for).
Most of my high school classes were better taught than most of the classes taught here, but as I said my friends went almost everywhere you can think of and with rare exceptions (I’ve heard Princeton’s teaching is good) this was simply reality.
However! Recently, there’s been a lot more emphasis on student evaluation and trying to get professors to teach well.
Most of my classes were very well taught, even inspiringly well taught. I knew 2 professors out of 13 classes I took couldn’t teach so I just skipped most lectures, read the book and went to tutorial/asked questions. Generally, either the professor or the graduate student in your course can help out and most tutorials are deserted so generally you have lots of access to instruction if you go (which officially is something you should do).

Quality: standards are high in some majors and lower in others, but compared to standards almost anywhere else in the world they’re +3 sigma good at least. Here I want to mention something, GEM is a business/management major not an econ major. It’s hard and a lot of work for a business major, but you can’t compare it to BCCB or Math/Physics where a pretty sizable chunk of the alumni not only went to PhDs in Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Michigan, Princeton, Berkeley, etcetera but thrived there, went to all the top postdocs and are now tenure-track professors at R1 institutions. There’s simply no comparison to be made there. That said, I have met some very good GEM/IPH majors and then it’s a really great thing because future physicists are best friends with future politicians/bankers/diplomats.

asimplestudent mentioned that the engineering facilities aren’t stellar. I would like to refute that though, because it’s making some unwarranted assumptions. Computer Science as a discipline at Jacobs and at many other institutions (Princeton, CMU, Oxford, Cambridge, Brown come to mind) is about science fundamentally and only incidentally covers some engineering components(the labs are enough for what you need them for, and most of your programming will be done by hand in exams or in your personal laptop). On the other hand, EE people have pretty solid facilities(a few good practical courses). Of course, not as great as you would get if this was a much larger place but you don’t hear complaints about that. There are complaints about courses being about theory and not practical enough, but here really things aren’t different from other universities in Germany. If you want practical skills to be emphasized in coursework go to a Hochschule or to an American institute of technology, this isn’t the place where you’re going to be evaluated on that for the most part. There’s maybe one course in the entire curriculum where you’ll see this, in CS it was software engineering lab. On the other hand, when facilities are really needed like in biochemistry they are top of the line.

Preparation: Here I’ll admit the place could do better on informing students what they’re signing up for.
The coursework is extremely hard and the workload high, and sometimes to an unreasonable extent. At the very least forget about weekends if you want a 2.0 GPA at least. I met some rare, exceptional souls who went through 3 years without pulling a dozen all-nighters and did extremely well, but it’s not uncommon for people in their first semester to pull more than a dozen and do so-so. The standard preparation of Jacobs students is an IB Diploma/Abitur. This is average, so if you’re from a country where they aren’t very academically rigorous and you plan on doing any of the sciences, you will need to be very smart and very hard working to catch up. My roommate had 3 As on Physics, Math, Chemistry A levels and almost failed out freshman year, even when he spent all day studying and almost never went to parties. Even if you had a 41 in your IB, if you try a math or physics major you could still end up with a 3.0 GPA unless you’re willing to study until you understand/solve all problems from the start. On the other hand, it boils down to your raw intelligence, confidence, resilience and work ethic. I met people who came with no background, worked for 1.0s in every class from the start and left with offers from all the top places. I don’t want to discourage anyone from coming from a perceived weak background, but you have to buckle down and work your ass off from the start to succeed academically.

Social Atmosphere:
This place is extremely small, which means you can make really good friends with a lot of people from all over the place and know everyone. However, the diversity does get unbearable at times. Like the poster who said she was a minority female studying computer science and she found herself alone or without anyone to relate to, everyone feels the same way in some sense really. This is very good for you at the end, but it can be too much to handle in the middle of everything else. People claim the Chinese, Romanians or Georgians stick to themselves but these are the rare exceptions and really, they’re doing it to survive. No one nationality really dominates here, not even Germans and the differences in social class, academic interests or whatever are really stark.
There are some very rich people here and there are people here who were refugees or homeless at some point in their life. No culture dominates either, and you will need to be able to speak your own language with others to feel ok at some point. People’s views on politics are also pretty diverse, although most conservatives are closeted (they definitely exist). Jacobs tries its best to deal with this, and there is even dedicated staff here to help with it but it can really be hard at times. If you make it through 3 years though, you will be able to make friends with pretty much any other human being out there.

To have a good time here you need to have a lot of academic preparation, independence, social skills (if you’re an introvert it’s fine), initiative (you can do research if you really want to, but most people are so exhausted by everything else they won’t), and you have to be extremely open-minded. Best of luck making your choices!