JBHE 2010 Survey of Black Freshmen at the Nation's Highest-Ranking Universities

<p>Maybe a good reference to you 2015ers...Good luck!</p>

<p>JBHE:</a> Poll of the Week Archive</p>

<p>I just saw this. Those are some interesting statistics. It would be a bit more useful though, if more colleges opted to provide some more data.</p>

<p>Thanks. Interesting to compare UCLA and UCB.</p>

<p>What is really amazing is that over 14% of Amherst and Columbia’s freshman class is black. Not to mention huge gains by Swarthmore, Vassar and others. It seems to me that success breeds success. So perhaps now more and more black students will be in these liberal art schools.</p>

<p>Maybe I should add Cornell to my list …</p>

<p>Wowie booza. Look at MIT and Stanford matriculation rates. That’s scary! In a good way!</p>

<p>Notice, however, the stats for Cal Tech, and the UCs (Los Angeles and Berkeley), schools which are prohibited by law from considering race in the admissions process.</p>

<p>^It’s true that the UCs aren’t allowed to practice Affirmative Action, but CalTech, which is a private university, can practice Affirmative action, but it seems that they choose not to. They also choose not to recruit athletes, and as far as I know, legacies.</p>

<p>Just FYI here is also a list of black acceptances, yields, shares of freshman class at the liberal arts colleges;</p>

<p>[JBHE</a> 2010 Survey of Black Freshmen at the Nation’s Highest-Ranking*Liberal Arts Colleges](<a href=“http://www.jbhe.com/2010survey-liberalarts.html]JBHE”>JBHE 2010 Survey of Black Freshmen at the Nation's Highest-Ranking Liberal Arts Colleges)</p>

<p>The interesting thing that stands out is the typcially higher rates of acceptance at LACs. It seems generaly a lot easier to get into top LACs than top Us. Even with all the redactions in the U list black acceptance to the Us runs 8.3% at Harvard (probably similar at Princeton, Stanford, Yale ) to 41% at UVva. for the LACs the low figure at Washington & Lee is 17.8% and the high is 52% at Trinity. Far fewer LACs in the sub 20% acceptance category. </p>

<p>I’ll see what they want, but come college time for my kids, I hope they really really like small rich LACs!</p>

<p>Wohooo, UVa is 41%! Duke doesn’t say, but that makes me happy about UVa. :)</p>

<p>Ooh, thanks for the link, BigApple. Was wondering about the stats for liberal arts colleges but was far too lazy to look for them. :p</p>