Junior Visiting Vanderbilt

Hi everyone! I am a current junior from NYC who is planning on visiting Vanderbilt University next week! Could any current students give some recommendations for where to eat/visit/etc?

1 Like

You might get some responses…but the number of enrolled college students who spend much time on CC is pretty small- and usually they are looking to transfer!

two suggestions: if any alums from your HS / friends or friends of friends / extended family are attending Vandy, reach out to them -even if you didn’t really know them! You are likely to be surprised by the generosity you find.

Otherwise, the obvious place is the admissions office, who are certain to have info available. It’s short notice, and they may say no, not until after May (b/c they are trying to take care of newly accepted students), but Vandy does have a sit-in-on-a-class option.

Depends what you want to do - nearby - as in - really right there - you’ll have the Parthenon. If you like to hike and many Vandy kids do, not too far (like 15-20) is Radnor Lake…give yourself 90 minutes.

If you want to eat adjacent, you’ll find your typical stuff - like your Panera, Chipotle, etc. But eat on campus!!

For “Nashville” you might try Ellison Place, Amerigo (Italian), Martin’s BBQ, Midtown Cafe…and more. A bit further - Pastaria.

Just yelp when you’re there.

Good luck.

We will be going next weekend too, never been to Nashville before! Going to see the Parthenon and hopefully try Biscuit Love for brunch! Also looks like Hattie B’s is the place for fried chicken!

1 Like

NYC mom here and when we visited, we ate in one of the campus cafeterias (ask admission) it was fun to be among the students. We stayed nearby so went to Mellow Mushroom for pizza and then down to Broadway to see the nightlife. You can’t go wrong walking around…

Skip biscuit love.

Milk N Honey, Pancake Pantry, Butter Milk Ranch.

Biscuit Love is - generic, chain- or franchise.

Mellow Mushroom always fun - but also a chain - started by college students or recent grads years ago.

Definitely eat on campus - for quality and people watching - and asking questions.

Our applicant wanted to be where the students were. Being from NYC, eating in a restaurant that was a chain (Mellow Mushroom) was kind of fun, since we are surrounded by such great food in NYC, finding phenomenal cuisine in Nashville wasn’t a goal of ours. We wanted to see students interacting.

3 Likes

We have gone go Mellow Mushroom in Winston Salem and had no idea it was a chain, it was great!

1 Like

We loved it!

I think the Mellow Mushroom near campus closed unfortunately.

Sun & Fork near the bookstore is very popular with students.
My D likes Velvet Taco, Cava and Taco Mama.
Second Hattie B…prepare for the line…there’s always a line. :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions! I ended up wandering around Hillsboro and ate at a brunch place as well as a burger restaurant the next day. Restaurants were super good and the campus was very impressive!

3 Likes

Agree! We were very impressed and it has moved up the list!