Just got home from moving in my freshman!

<p>Really, I am so pleasantly surprised to hear all this. Our GC recommended UM to us last week and my husband brushed it off saying - no,no, its a party school!. I came home went straight to CC and read up all your posts, looked at the college website and ratings, I am so glad.</p>

<p>Its amazing isn’t it? sometimes you just never know!</p>

<p>The school really is amazing! My daughter says she sums it up in one word “Awesome”!! Each week she tells me more and more about the incredible things the school has to offer and how happy she is. </p>

<p>The ridiculous “party school” #1 ranking from Playboy really was unfortunate. Of course there is partying at Miami, as at practically every other college in the US, but they are by no means #1. That ranking was based on factors like “total days of sunshine” and “brains”. They also counted South Beach which is far from campus and not easily accessible. </p>

<p>The U.S. News and World Report party school rankings just came out recently and Miami was not even on the list! The partying happens off campus and the administration has a strict no tolerance policy in regards to on campus partying. It is very easy for students to have a great time on campus, with lots of activities that do not involve vomiting!</p>

<p>That is so nice to know. We had a school meeting today where the counselors talked about the alcohol issue and how scary things can get with the 18yr olds out there!</p>

<p>Is there merit aid at UM?</p>

<p>Tons of merit money available to good students.
[New</a> Freshmen / First Year Students | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/index.php/ug/scholarships/freshmen/]New”>http://www.miami.edu/index.php/ug/scholarships/freshmen/)</p>

<p>Found the page, thanks. How is the student body at UM - I have read on certain blogs that a lot of kids are snobbish because they have bought their way in by paying full tuition even with low grades. Sorry for stereotyping but just wanted to ask the current parents what the reality is.</p>

<p>My DS says that he has not met one kid like that sterotype. He is surrounded by kids with jobs on campus and who are there with merit scholarships and financial aid…I’m sure there are those kids out there, but he has not met any and has enjoyed the friends he has made. I’m sure there are those kinds of kids at every school, but most students gravitate to the kids with the same shared values. I’d say, take a visit and see for yourself…he could not be happier!</p>

<p>I completely echo DinDune. This is what I was worried about too when I was reading those blogs at about this time last year.</p>

<p>My daughter has met nothing but bright hard woking (and fun loving) students from around the country and the world! Lots are on Merit scholarship, financial aid, work study, etc. </p>

<p>It is unfortunate that this stereo type is out there because it is not true any more so than at any other university. There are always going to be some rich snobbish kids. Miami has a wonderful and diverse student body and my daughter and I could not be happier with her experience thus far.</p>

<p>Lets see…Go Canes! Ooops wrong forum.</p>

<p>Amazing weekend, happy son, what more can we hope from. Son is on floor fill of Singer Scholars and Foote Fellows. Very pleased with the diversity of the floor.</p>

<p>Has met freshman and upper class that have been very supportive.</p>

<p>We had a great weekend including high fiving Sebastian the Ibis and hugging President Shalala. OK, we are true fans! Nough said.</p>

<p>It’s interesting to read these posts since I am a UM graduate, BBA 1978, MBA 1979. I see that some of the old dorm buildings are still there, such as Pearson. Is it’s twin, Mahoney Hall still next door? I see that they pushed back Greek rush to the spring. That’s a good idea. I rushed the fall of my freshman year (SAE) and that was a mistake. Frats require a major commitment of your time. I wouldn’t do it until my sophomore year, if I could redo it. </p>

<p>I also see that the football team is back on the top #25 rankings list. Go Canes!</p>

<p>Glad to see everyone had fun at Family Weekend…Son’s little cousin went and now can’t wait to go there (OK, he is 11). He got to talk to an Iron Arrow member, tell President Shalala to save him a spot and get TONS of pictures with UM Cheerleaders (yes, again, he is only 11!)</p>

<p>Great weekend and the game was incredible. </p>

<p>SRQDad- Son was on the Singers Scholarship/Foote Fellows floor freshman year. Met his best friend there. The Foote Fellow seminars and trips are awesome!! Miami really treats these kids well. Glad your son is adapting so well!!</p>