Kids of Harvard employees get admissions preference? Any job at Harvard will do?

I hear Harvard “employees” get admissions preferences for their kids.
What kind of employee?..any? If I get a job working at the campus book store or dormitory cafeteria, does that count? I’m basically retired but I will be willing to work anything if it gave my kids an advantage. Job at the university? or can I work the gift shop at Medical school or something?

Faculty or Professional

3 Likes

@skieurope I wonder if the employee needs to have worked for the university full time, and also for a certain period of time prior to the student applying.

3 Likes

The population is so very small that I don’t think any data analysis would be meaningful.

But my gut says you’re right

3 Likes

I work at a top 25 university that provides legacy-type preference to children of faculty and staff. Unlike other benefits (e.g. tuition assistance), it is not documented in our HR manual, which I think is the norm; no school wants to put in writing the details of who gets what type of admissions bump. There is one non-detailed statement on one obscure page on our website saying that faculty/staff children are treated as legacies. That’s the only official evidence of the policy (such as it is) that I’ve ever seen.

All of which is to say, I think it’s unlikely anyone except the admissions staff knows exactly what sort of bump children of faculty and staff get at Harvard. I suspect working 10 hours a week in the bookstore for six months wouldn’t cut it. Full-time in the bookstore for a couple of years? Maybe! I’d be shocked if it’s possible to get a clear answer on this.

5 Likes

tuition assistance. yes, I know of few professors and doctors who are willing to take a “pay cut” and work at a university (something like 10 yr min at tenured assoc lvl) in order to score a full ride tuition for their kids. It is a considerable benefit, especially if you have like 3 kids or more. Akin to working in the army. Low pay, but benefits are incredible and not to be dismissed.

There is a difference between getting admission preference, and getting a tuition benefit IF you are admitted.

4 Likes

i agree true. it was an aside.
Although the cynic in me makes me wonder if then there is a bias against employees for those colleges that offer financial assistance. Work for us for pennies and we will give you free tuition for your kids, but oh…they didnt get in…thats too bad. that be diabolical.

Well there’s this from Boston College:

2 Likes

As another aside (not really an aside since it pertains to Harvard), children of Harvard professors do not get free tuition. Or any reduction in tuition, other than need-based aid, if warranted.

1 Like

Is this in reference to your third grader? If so, even if there is an admissions preference for children of faculty, your child still needs to be academically qualified.

By the time your nine year old is ready to think about college, if there are still serious enough learning challenges, Harvard may not be a good choice.

1 Like

Just like with any type of preference, there is a pecking order. The questions on the application focus on name, title and duration of employment. So this leads me to believe that a superstar professor pulling in lots of research money will be treated more favorably than someone who works part time at the bookstore.

3 Likes

yes, i mentioned harvard to grab attention to this post, but really it is a question for any college. Another hook I propose if you have time and effort as a parent, is to find employment at potential colleges for your children.

AMAZING. such a good story. Imagine… at age 44yo, he had the first child get a full ride to BC!..and then 4 more full ride kids! hmm, maybe we should compile a list of colleges that offer admissions preference or tuition scholarships to employees and list what type of employees are applicable. That would be a valuable list.

Please understand…this isn’t a hook at most colleges. In addition, it doesn’t guarantee that any college will be affordable even IF you are an employee.

Sample of three…friend was a higher level employee at a university specifically for tuition exchange. None of the their three kids ended up attending a college that had tuition exchange…and they also didn’t attend where this person was an employee.

Re: tuition exchange…it’s not a guarantee.

4 Likes

yes i agree. Like working your butt off to have a a fully funded 529 plan for your kids, its very helpful to have unless of course the kid doesnt…
but it is a chance. Must been mildly frustrating for your friend, but gave it a shot. no harm. at least 3 kids went to college and will be fruitful productive adults. success.

1 Like

It wasn’t frustrating at all. This person took the job because it was a terrific job…not for the tuition benefit.

It is a remote chance. Really, are you going to give up current work to try and get employed by Harvard on the minuscule chance it will give your child an advantage?

You are jumping the gun. Your child is in third grade and may have no interest in Harvard.

I’m actually skeptical that this post is legitimate.

5 Likes

I have a friend who works for UPENN (and has for over 30 years). They gambled on a more expensive and selective private to up their daughter’s chances (very bright), but she didn’t get in. They live in a less expensive area of the state to have more affordable housing, but knew their only child needed to go to private school regardless.

I’ve heard that Wash U is free for children of employees. I believe the employee needs to have worked there for at least 5 years. If the student goes to another school, they get a portion of their tuition paid - I’m not sure if this is part of the tuition exchange.

1 Like