Laptop or PC for Visualization?

Hi, I got accepted into Texas A&M’s Visualization program as a future undergrad, and I was wondering whether I should get a laptop or PC for college? I know that I need a powerful computer, but i’m not sure what I need exactly. On the laptop requirements for the Visualization major (I’m not sure how outdated this is though), it first suggests laptops, but also points out the benefits of getting a permanent work station outside of class, as PC’s have greater power and capabilities.

I currently have an Acer Aspire E5-575-5493 15.6 Laptop, which doesn’t have the graphics card I need for this program. It’s fairly new, as I got it last year, however I don’t think it will be enough to get me through my more specialized classes. Does the Visualization major need the students to bring a laptop to their classes (for example, if there are not enough computers for everyone in the lab) or any work that requires portability (therefore needing to get a more powerful laptop)? Or can I just stick with my current laptop for lighter coursework (e.g. essays, internet, etc) and get a PC to work from my dorm? Or should I just wait until sophomore year to get a more powerful computer suited to my later coursework?
Thanks for reading this question.

There are some laptops that would be able to handle high graphics and CP U loads. Look into the the Dell XPS 15 if you like Windows or the Macbook Pro 15 is you prefer iOS. Both of those systems can handle a lot, although they are not cheap! I would think that a laptop would be better, but maybe you could ask at your NSC?

@TXRooster thanks so much for replying to this question! I think I’ll get a laptop, as another person attending a&m’s architecture program that i know also advised me to get a powerful laptop. I’ll look at the XPS 15 and see if that’s the computer I need. Thank you again.

Can’t speak to the program, just computer hardware - If you can’t afford a laptop with one of the 3 most recent generations of Nvidia or AMD’s graphics platforms, then just use your current laptop for officework and invest in a simple workstation with a decent graphics card for production - it doesn’t take a lot of money these days. I’d say odds of you needing either during a freshman year are slim to none.

Even modern laptops with small processes are power hungry and easily stressed when put to work. Also, a $400 laptop will act like a $400 laptop, no matter how old it is.