Laptop suggestions?

Does Purdue require a certain type of laptop for CS students? If not, does anyone have any good suggestions for laptops for Computer Science at Purdue?

We emailed the CS department with that question. This was the reply:

A laptop or tablet is not required for any Computer Science class at Purdue (although, most students choose to bring a laptop or tablet for their coursework.) CS majors at Purdue have full access to our Windows or Linux computer labs in the Lawson Computer Science Building. Students are welcome to bring whatever laptop they are most comfortable using. Our Computer Science program is both PC and Mac friendly; and we do not endorse one over the other.

https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Support/KB/Docs/StudentLaptopsuggesti

Thank you both!

While both the “you don’t need one” and the minimum requirements are factually correct, they would be very poor choices, IMHO.

No one wants to go to a computer room on campus every time they have homework, need to check email, want to surf the web, etc.

A ‘minimum’ computer will be very slow and possibly unable to deal with latest software releases in 2-3 years.

I did for my daughter what I do at home. A high end, but not extreme, unit that will comfortably last 4+ years. For me, that’s an i7 processor , 16GB of RAM and at least 256 GB solid state drive. I think it was $1200’ish 2 years ago.

And get the complete care/next-day/on site 4 year service. My D dropped hers and they replaced the lower cover, hinges, motherboard in a few days on site. One of her roommates didn’t, and she was without a laptop for 3 weeks.

And don’t owe backup software - I stuck with Carbonite even after their changes.

There are many options - ours was from Dell.

Don’t forget a good graphics card. Many engineering students get gaming laptops because they meet the needs pretty well.

@RichInPitt great tip. I normally don’t get the extended service repair. But it does make sense for a college student who will be moving the PC all over campus. Not having a PC even for a few days could be a hassle for a college student. I hadn’t though of the service angle for a PC to be use in college . Great tip. Thanks!