Latinx HS Class of 2021

I am starting to this thread to replicate the terrific African American HS Class of 2020 thread for Latinx students in Class of 2021, in which parents and students alike can share notes about recruitment programs, support platforms, curricula and other prospective college issues and feedback specific to Latinx students. I am sure many will benefit from the sharing of recent experiences and information on these topics. If interested about how to make the most of it, take a look at the excellent AfAm thread.

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope we can have the same kind of support as in the wonderful African American student thread.

Im super far off as my Guatemalan born daughter is high school class of 2025. I will be lurking in the background (S23 is slowly researching colleges now and older brother is already in tech school).

I have a question: from an admissions perspective (esp to Top colleges), is being a Hispanic just as “advantageous” as being a AfAm? I’ve seen a lot of posts / articles about how AfAm are being treated differently / given more leeway / more opportunities, but I don’t see as much talk about Hispanics.

So I’m wondering if Hispanics and AfAm are in the same “bucket” as far as admission evaluations are concerned, or if one is more “desirable” and have more offerings / opportunities than the other?

@sonatarhia
Academically interesting question, but I am not sure why a comparative approach is relevant to meaningful diversity. I believe the answer is probably that different universities are trying to achieve targets based on their priorities and communities. The real question is whether universities are doing enough in the recruitment of faculty and students to create environments of inclusion that reflect their communities, and the numbers of each college speak for themselves in each case as to how hard they are trying and/or succeeding.

Hispanics and AfAms are not in the same bucket. Schools get more credit and academic hay for having AfAms (much stronger lobby). Hispanicity, being an ethnicity rather than a race, is broader than a particular skin color or tone. Another factor, and this is not appreciated by most, is that the supply of high-achieving hispanic students is greater than the supply of high-achieving AfAm students. This is particularly true of hispanic females. Some selective colleges/universities, when reviewing hispanics for admission, will check what high school they went to and what their family income looks like before granting a significant admissions preference. AfAms are in enough demand that they won’t get that treatment. Schools in certain areas of the country that are looking to increase hispanic enrollment however, will not dig that deep and will grant the preference. While applying as a hispanic is not as advantageous as applying as an AfAm, it is definitely more advantageous than applying as a caucasian, non-hispanic.

2 Likes

@ScientificRocket Thanks for that informed perspective. By geographic areas in which preference is more likely, would you say those are the South (outside Florida), the Midwest and the Pacific Northwest or other areas? This detail would help better understand your very helpful point.

Just an additional thought for the discussion. Diversity is about recognizing and valuing diverse talent propositions, rather than admitting less talented students. I agree that economically more challenged applicants, regardless of ethnicity, are challenged in meeting some or various of the measures of talent that suffer from economic underinvestment, whether in the school or in test prep or in guidance. Hispanic candidates of all economic backgrounds nonetheless do bring diverse views and backgrounds to higher education, and their inclusion in it is key to dissipating social stereotypes of perennial underproductivity (and often inherent criminality) that lie as the foundation of nativism and anti-Hispanic racism.

1 Like

Whew. I had to edit my comment because I was playing into the division. Just some FyI— you can be both hispanic and black…

On another, more helpful note- my child graduated last year and some things we looked into was the national puerto rican day parade scholarship https://www.nprdpinc.org/sponsorship/scholarship/

and Society for Hispanic Professional Engineers

https://www.shpe.org/about-shpe

I do hope that you all can make this a welcoming space. Good luck to all your students.

1 Like

If you are Hispanic and have not applied for the National Hispanic Recognition Program through the College Board, go do it now! Many schools once admitted Miss St., Texas A & M, Arizona, etc, will waive complete tuition for you to attend.

We are excited to celebrate and recognize you Latinx Graduates Class of 2021

Remember that everything we do is for our Familia!

Online click counter assists you to count several things like the number of sit-ups click counter. while performing an exercise or also much other stuff. You can do all just by clicking on a mouse or a button of mobile phones.