Lessons I Learned This Year

<p>Having (nearly) completed my freshman year, I thought I’d compile a list of the most significant things I wish people had told me, or that I wish I had listened to when people did tell me.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>ENJOY BAMA BOUND. It is the time when everyone is on equal footing, because hardly anyone knows each other and everyone is nervous. Some of my very best friends are people I met at Bama Bound, and there are many others whom I still stop to talk to every time I see around campus. Get to know as many people as possible, because having familiar faces is always nice.</p></li>
<li><p>Don’t judge your roommates too quickly (or anyone for that matter). Don’t assume you have nothing in common with your roommate(s) just because it seems that way at first. My relationships with all my roommates turned out completely opposite of what I expected.</p></li>
<li><p>Don’t let the fact that you are or are not rushing define you. It seems like a huge deal at first, but it’s not. I have a lot of friends who dropped out of their sorority as the year progressed, and I ended up dropping out of mine at the end of the year; this hasn’t changed any of my friendships at all. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is judging someone based on whether they are rushing or not. Everyone has their own personal reasons for the decision that you very well may not understand, but that doesn’t mean you cannot end up being best friends.</p></li>
<li><p>Learn how to use MyBama and DegreeWorks. Can’t even tell you how much of an advantage this is. When I tell people I’m taking two online classes this semester, most people stare at me blankly and ask how one signs up for online classes. Knowing all of the functions of MyBama allows you to find the very best class option for you personally, something an advisor (who may barely know you) doesn’t necessarily know.</p></li>
<li><p>If you are absolutely, positively certain that your major won’t require a certain level of math, keep in mind that regardless of which level math you place into, Math 110 fulfills the core requirement for Arts & Sciences. I’m sure some parents will disagree with me here and want their child to challenge themselves and take as high level math as possible, but I have to say that taking Math 110 (instead of 115, which I placed into) saved me a LOT of time that allowed me to focus on my other classes, which are actually relevant to my major. Obviously this is a personal decision; just saying that this helped me out a lot.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Thank you, Regina for sharing your insight with us. I really appreciate it. Would you mind share what your favorite class has been your freshman year? Also, are there any items that you use in your dorm room that you highly recommend? In terms of Math 110- I have written down that my daughter should take Math 112, even though she placed higher. Can anyone give an opinion on this? She is an English/Spanish major.</p>

<p>DD tested into Math 125. Against her adviser’s advice and ours she took it. She had pledged a sorority and had a very intense schedule which included Bio… plus lab, Chem… plus lab a computer class and a 1 hour seminar for pre-med kids. The Bio and Chem classes were for med majors…they seemed quite intense. It was not uncommon for her to have 50 or more math problems a night! I would echo what is listed about…take math 110…especially if you are planning on getting involved on campus. </p>

<p>In fact I would go as far as to say take a “comfortable” schedule first semester. I know that many kids are coming off lots of AP’s and a successful high school experience. My DD came in with many AP’s and a high GPA…she was organized and a motivated learner. Even with all that she had going for her …juggling everything that she was involved in and classes was tough. Go slow…all of those wonderful classroom experiences will still be there…</p>

<p>If you’re certain that your major won’t require Calculus then don’t take it. If your major requires Calculus, but you’re not yet strong enough to do well in it, then take the pre-req even if you tested into Cal. </p>

<p>Ahpimommy…is your D pre-med? I was thinking she was studying to be a Registered Dietitian. </p>

<p>Yes, I agree that a student should take a lighter course load fall frosh semester. There are a lot of adjustments that semester, and balancing those with a challenging course load can ruin a GPA. Then, after that, a student can take a more challenging load BUT always balance the load with a lighter course or two.</p>

<p>m2k…she WAS pre-med…after first semester freshman year she is NOW a Nutrition major :).</p>

<p>Thanks Regina, your words of wisdom are appreciated. I’ll have my son read your post when he gets home from his track meet tonight. You have confirmed everything that his sister (a sophomore at a Big 10 state flagship) has told him. </p>

<p>Freshman year is a huge adjustment for ALL types of students, even the most diligent. Although my daughter is at a different university, the lessons are the same. Don’t take a heavy load first semester. Don’t assume that you can manage several science classes with a tough math class and some gen-eds mixed in just because you had an A average and APs in high school. My daughter made that mistake and is going to retake a Bio class this summer to boost her GPA. She took Chem, Bio, Calculus, and two gen-eds, plus an online course her first semester. She was very organized in high school but she had no idea how to manage her time in college. She also had major roommate troubles and was homesick (even though her boyfriend was there). The good news is that she figured it out second semester and is finishing up her last gen-ed. She is sooo looking forward to her Junior year!</p>

<p>Future freshman, listen to Regina, she’s been there!</p>

<p>Thanks Regina! That’s helpful advice. I’d love to hear more advice from students - it’s a great benefit to the incoming freshmen.</p>

<p>BTW, I love your screen name. It makes me want to go watch Friends reruns.</p>

<p>DD2 visited UA, GT, UNC-CH, NCState and USCarolina over spring break, and just came back raving about UA. It is now neck and neck with GT (DH’s Alma Mater - don’t hate). </p>

<p>Without the helpful threads started and posted to by all the current students, alums and UA parents, she wouldn’t have even thought to look at UA. Thanks to all - and please keep it up! Now that DD is seriously focusing on UA as a possibility, our family needs the info from you knowledgeable UA posters more than ever.</p>

<p>meremom…glad to hear that your D’s visit went well. Let us know if you need help with anything.</p>

<p>this was posted on FB or in another forum, and thought I would share here: </p>

<p>[Top</a> 10 Things I Wish I Had Known Before College - YouTube](<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube)</p>

<p>Good advice from regina! May I also add that you should take advantage of tutoring services at the first sign of trouble? It is hard to catch up once you are behind.</p>

<p>

My absolute favorite class has been EN 205 with Brooke Champagne. If anyone ever has the opportunity to take a class with her, definitely take it. She is a great prof, hilarious, and very cool; really connects with her students. I’m taking EN 208 with next semester, and made a bunch of my friends sign up for it with me.</p>

<p>For the dorm room, I recommend a lot of Command products (I think I have every product they make) for hanging and whatnot. A small-ish bookshelf is also a HUGE convenience – I use it for school books, non-school books, and displaying picture frames and other stuff. And as I am right this second in the process of moving out, my biggest tip would have to be don’t buy too much stuff. I did very badly in that area!</p>

<p>I would have her look at the course descriptions for Math 110 and 112. 112 isn’t necessarily more difficult; it’s just a different topic. Let her decide which appeals to her most based on her interests and previous math experience. (I took AP Stats in high school, and Math 110 is a lot of probability and stats, so I chose to take that.)</p>

<p>I’m an English and French major, so I’d be happy to help you out in if you have anymore questions…I know English majors aren’t exactly abundant on here!</p>

<p>

It truly makes my day every time someone gets this reference! I think most people just assume it’s my real name. :)</p>

<p>Thank you for your honesty and wisdom!
Yes, it’s hard for us parents, with over achieving students, to take a back seat to our new young adult children. I’ve learned and continue learning that things aren’t always what they seem.
DD, graduating HS in a few weeks, was encouraged (pushed) to take the most rigorous classes from day 1 in high school by me (and Dad) and the counselors. Now, I know better! Every Freshman year is an adjustment, whether high school or college. I’m sure the latter is a bit more intense :wink:
However, her mentality is, “I must challenge myself”. It’s hard to turn back time. I will definitely have her read this thread. Thanks again for your honest and to the point input!</p>

<p>

I can certainly understand the need to challenge oneself; I’m the same way. If a class is easy, I get bored and often end up doing poorly. I’m generally much more successful in a challenging class. However, everyone should be careful not to overwhelm themselves! I had a ridiculous first semester; I started off with 18 credits, and by the drop deadline, was down to 11…not even a full-time student. This semester I’m taking 16 credits of more difficult classes and my GPA is about a full point higher, so definitely never let one rough semester leave you discouraged (as it did for me for a while).</p>

<p>I thought Phoebe was your real name.</p>

<p>GO to the study sessions before the tests!! Many classes have a study session or two the week of the test. They’re only for an hour or two so it’s not gonna kill you to attend. Quite often some of the exact same questions brought up in the session are on the test (word for word). Remember it’s not just the questions that you ask but the questions others may ask as well. </p>

<p>I firmly believe the sessions are worth at least an extra 5 points on a test for most students. And UA uses a +/- system so every point counts. You’ll be amazed how much just that next higher half grade affects your GPA.</p>

<p>Find out where your mid-term grades are posted first semester to make sure you are on track.</p>

<p>Pledging will consume more time than you think, so take a lightish schedule.</p>

<p>Some (most?) engineering majors require a ‘heavy’ load 1st semester/year - this is NOT by choice (i.e., doing it to challenge themselves). For example, most eng’g majors will be taking 1 or 2 science classes, 1 calc (or above), and 3 smaller core eng’g classes, and depending on if they passed some APs, they will add English to that mix as well.<br>
If anyone in eng’g specifically has advice for surviving that first year, please weigh in.<br>
Again, taking a ‘heavy’ load is unavoidable for a lot of these eng’g students, and I’d appreciate hearing of their experiences, if any are on CC. Thanks!</p>

<p>Good question, Aeromom. We were thinking about moving EN 103 to second semester to lighten up the first semester load, but I think S will enjoy having a non-technical class in the mix. There really is no option to postpone any of his other CS/ENGR classes - but it comes out to 7 classes for 14 credits (more if he adds in a music ensemble.)</p>

<p>Actually looking at some of the UH options available, would it be better to have something like UH Arts and Parody (3) first semester and move EN103 to second semester? Would Arts and Parody be a lighter load than EN 103? Is EN103 offered second semester?</p>

<p>*Some (most?) engineering majors require a ‘heavy’ load 1st semester/year - this is NOT by choice (i.e., doing it to challenge themselves). For example, most eng’g majors will be taking 1 or 2 science classes, 1 calc (or above), and 3 smaller core eng’g classes, and depending on if they passed some APs, they will add English to that mix as well.
If anyone in eng’g specifically has advice for surviving that first year, please weigh in. *</p>

<p>Both of my kids were eng’g majors at first (one later changed to Math). It is possible to take a lighter load as a Fall frosh eng’g major if…</p>

<p>1) you come in with AP Chem credits
2) you come in with AP English credits
3) you come in with AP Cal 1 credits.</p>

<p>Being able to skip one or more of the above can make fall semester easier.</p>