Lincoln Center vs. Rose Hill

My D was accepted EA to Lincoln Center. It is unclear to us how this impacts the Fordham
experience. Do LC students spend any time at Rose Hill campus or are they completely separate experiences? If you are accepted to LC can you live on or take classes at Rose Hill? Thanks.

2 Likes

LC & Rose hill are night and day. LC Is a high rise building in midtown Manhattan. Rose Hill is a gated community in the Bronx. They are 25 minutes apart via the Ram Van and/or train. Students can and often do take classes on both campuses, best of both worlds. RoseHill has all of the sports facilities so the football games, basketball games etc are big part of the Rose Hill campus. LC Students and Rose Hill student do interact if THEY put effort into sharing both campuses. With that said, my son spent 4 years on Rose Hill and has close friends from LC. It really is what you your D makes of it. Fordham is your college, NY is your campus.

Some takes from a Lincoln Center parent.

First, I think Fordham overall is poised to be the next Georgetown or BC - Jesuit schools that not all that long ago used favorable geography to really raise their profile and competitiveness. Last year’s admissions process was a big step in that direction. If the trend in application volume holds, which seems likely based on early numbers coming in from other schools, this year it’ll be even harder to get in.

Second, Lincoln Center is absolutely a hidden gem, a small liberal arts college in a near-perfect location with access to the resources of a larger university. The campus is small, but Central Park is just a couple blocks away–and the entirety of NYC is just outside the door. The freshman dorm is basically new, the rooms are as spacious as the rooms at any college, and the views are impossible to beat. The students I’ve met are interesting, engaged, and from all over. It’s not a college experience with football games and that sort of thing, but it’s great for a kid who wants to be part of a small community in a large city.

4 Likes

My husband is an alum of Fordham Law School at Lincoln Center. He loved living in the Upper West Side neighborhood of New York and living next to Lincoln Center, which is a cultural Mecca and offers a number of free or discounted cultural opportunities.

Hello,

I read an old post of yours where you mention that your Husband is a Fordham Law alumni. Our Freshmen daughter from Rose Hill campus recently has expressed interest to switch to Pre-Law from Pre-Health. We realize this is a big change. Our daughter has always been a solid STEM kid, though she progressively did well in Social Studies and looks like at college she has found her calling.

We are from Seattle which is just like another Silicon Valley and so most of our network is Tech or Tech related. So we are not able to guide her, from a job prospects standpoint and more importantly what’s a good fall-back undergraduate to lean on. She wants to do International Political Economy.

Would you mind talking to your husband and sharing with us some logical approaches to help further narrow this down and guide our daughter? Her advisor wasn’t much of help, and I’d prefer to seek input/opinion from someone who has been through that path. So any help/insight would be really appreciated.

Best, (a concerned Mom)

Hi, I am also a lawyer with 25 years experience at large and small law firms. I have worked with successful lawyers who became partners who have had many diverse undergrad majors, anything from biology to business to engineering. I was a political science major, which was common. Certain majors may lend themselves more to certain types of law, e.g. a science background can be helpful for environmental law; an engineering background can be helpful for construction law. On the other hand, lawyers hire experts with technical background to issue opinions so they don’t necessarily need to be experts themselves and they will gain a certain amount of knowledge over the years. Because many cases deal with injured people, there are always continuing legal education classes on anatomy for lawyers. I was a journalist before law school, which helped hone my investigative and writing skills. My husband who went to Fordham Law was a journalism major.

So in short my advice would be your D should choose the major she is most interested in and get good grades and a good LSAT score.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.