List of Direct Entry from High School BSN Nursing Programs

Hi there,

Just curious- did URI explain the “fine print” indicating that progression in the program is “competitive” even if a student meets the required GPA to progress?!

https://web.uri.edu/nursing/files/2019-Current-NUR-4.5-r-CS-fillable-1.pdf

My daughter was admitted to URI Nursing last year, and this fine print was enough to scare her away.

Although our tour info session also verbally “confirmed” the program is direct entry, and he said the “nursing students are guaranteed a seat for four years” (while their program is now 4.5 years), I remain extremely leery of all of it, for future applicants. Sounds a bit shady to me.

Well worth further inquiry when seriously considering this program!

Good luck!

Yes, this list of direct entry nursing programs would be much more useful if the weed-out / progression requirements were listed with each school.

1 Like

Totally agree! I am coming from having gone through this last year. It’s crucial to get as much info as possible to make the best decision on a nursing program.
Some are bait and switch.

1 Like

But I’d also like to add that the URI fine print is NOT the usual weed-out requirement. It’s unlike any other I’ve seen. It’s MUCH more like a non-direct entry. It states that even if you meet the GPA requirements, it remains competitive to progress through the program because “seats are limited.” How can that be considered direct entry?

If weed-out is competitive, then it is functionally equivalent to pre-nursing with competitive secondary admission to major.

Note that weed-out by grades or GPA is functionally equivalent to pre-nursing with secondary admission to major by pre-announced grades or GPA.

1 Like

They never addressed that, but should my daughter decide this is a fit and she gets in, I will definitely have her inquire. Also, I didn’t realize that it was now 4 1/2 years. Thank you for pointing this out! I really appreciate it.

1 Like

How do you research admission chances for these programs? College counselor does not have data on admissions specific to these programs. Help!

3 Likes

Mount Carmel College of Nursing in Columbus, Ohio is a direct-entry BSN program. www.mccn.edu

1 Like

how is it going with your daughter in the program?