Looking for liberal arts in a lively community

Hi! Looking for some more schools to add to my college list for this fall!

After going on some tours, there’s a few things I definitely want:

• Liberal arts
  • Rigorous and more selective
  • Small/medium size (no larger than 8k)
  • Close-knit community
  • Integration into a lively local community while still being a campus (preferably not a “college town”)

Some of my favorites so far have been Brown, Tufts, and Barnard, but I know those are all super selective, so additional suggestions would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think Macalester College and Occidental College would be worth investigating.

2 Likes

William and Mary is a public liberal arts school. Also consider Wake Forest, U Richmond. All have the size and college feel you mention.

2 Likes

Good suggestions above. You might consider Brandeis as well. Perhaps Fordham - Lincoln Center campus would be a safety (they have non-binding EA).

2 Likes

Reed, Haverford, Sarah Lawrence, Pomona, Pitzer, Trinity, Colorado College

1 Like

Actually, I think either the Lincoln Center (~2k students) or the Rose Hill (~8k students) campus could work, and would a likely/safety for a high stats student.

2 Likes

My first thought was Brandeis, too. Other possibilities to consider would include:

• Case Western (OH)
  • Clark (MA)
  • College of the Holy Cross (MA)
  • Loyola Marymount (CA)
  • Macalester (MN)
  • Occidental (CA)
  • Trinity (TX)
  • Tulane (LA)
  • U. of Richmond (VA)
3 Likes

Davidson!

Wesleyan

Trinity (CT)

My S has similar thoughts except for the college town part (he doesnt care). He loved Brown and Williams. He has U Richmond, Fordham, Davidson, Wake Forest, U Tulsa, Conneticut College, and Vanderbilt

Rhodes, Gettysburg.

Bates fits your criteria. The town is not particularly lovely, but it feels “real” and students are actively involved in the community. It’s a reach, but not quite as reachy as the others. Wesleyan is another reach and fits your criteria.

Some matches might be Connecticut College, Holy Cross, University of Rochester, and Whitman College in Washington state. Clark U, Ithaca College, Muhlenberg, and Hobart and William Smith might be safeties.

Sewanee?

Northwestern University has about 8,100 undergraduate students–although the liberal arts school probably enrolls about 2,000 to 3,000. Hard to estimate as anyone can double or triple major in any college/school within the university. Very easy to switch majors if one desires to do so.

Northwestern is located in an upscale suburb of Chicago–Evanston–which is not a college town. Very smart, hard-working, down-to-earth students.

U Penn in Philadelphia is another to consider.

Washington University in St. Louis.

Vanderbilt University in Nashville.

Maybe Tulane University in New Orleans.

Emory in Atlanta.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.