Looking for schools that meet need

Don’t compare ASU to UA, compare Barrett to UA. Whichever discipline your son chooses, Barrett will win every time, even in the sciences. ASU is one of the largest/strongest research universities in the country, and Barrett ties its students directly to the brain trust of the larger U. Barrett is also considered stronger than UA’s honors program by a wide margin.

3 Likes

I’ll have to do this later, I’m at work now and can’t do it right away.

1 Like

Yes, but that is only for the 2 CO schools he will apply to, and he doesn’t want to go to either of them. I’m hoping other schools have free app days as well

OOH, I did not know that (about doing the virtual admissions sessions and possibly getting the app for free) - thank you!!

1 Like

I will leave the FA discussion to other posters- who are VERY wise in this area, so OP you are in good hands.

A couple of thoughts though about “Business”-

1- He does not need to major in Business, and therefore, does not need to eliminate schools he’s excited about which are affordable just because they don’t have a Business school or major. Down the road he can get an MBA if he’s so inclined (especially if he’s working for an employer who will pay for it) with any major. I was a Classics major- and ended up in what was then a top 5 MBA program for what it’s worth.

2- If he’s numerically inclined and is interested in public health, health policy, any of that nature, a statistics major will make him HIGHLY marketable across a wide range of fields (and gives him flexibility to do something else entirely if he decides to take a different route.

3- There are some really good 1 year or 1 year plus Master’s and certificate programs in data analysis, again- great prospects in health, but lots of other options as well. And a much shorter route to a well paying career than med school!!!

4-Do some serious thought on taking out of your 401K/IRA. Your kid can always get a loan for college (even if you don’t want him to borrow and that’s not the plan right now). NOBODY is lending you money for your retirement- nobody. The current limits- 27K in total for four years of college- mean that a kid who knows how to live frugally (which sounds like your kid) AND can get a job after college, can pay back the loan without living in a cardboard box.

5-Give Rice another look if it might be affordable. I have never heard comments like the one you posted about fit- and I think the college system does a great job of building connectivity and community among kids who might not ever meet on another college campus.

Your kids sound great!

6 Likes

https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/programs/AreaOfInterest/04/undergrad/false lists the business majors at ASU. You can filter by campus; the main Tempe campus as a number of business majors available.

Does he have National Merit or College Board Recognition (what ASU calls “National Scholar”)? If so, then ASU scholarships may be quite good. But they may not be as good otherwise: https://scholarships.asu.edu/estimator

UA list scholarships here: Types of Aid: Incoming First-Year and Transfer Tuition Scholarship Awards | Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid

2 Likes

Hey, just wanted to mention that Dartmouth is need-blind for US citizens. Plus, students from families whose household income is less than 125 k per year get full scholarships, without loans. So, your son’s odds may be better than you think.

2 Likes

We won’t find out about the National Merit until fall. I know he’s a contender. He did ok, not great - it was early this year after not being in school for 7 months and… he’s in top 1% but it depends on what the cutoff is for CO… I don’t think he’ll make it but who knows… UA has better merit aid plus has the IB Scholarship. I think, right now, UA is going to come out ahead financially BUT ASU may be the better fit… so he will apply and once offers (hopefully) come in, he will have to see where he best sees himself.

Compass Education is projecting an index score range of 215-221 for Class of 2022 National Merit status in Colorado. Class of 2021 Colorado index score was 217.

Sorry just one additional thing. If your son is certain that Dartmouth is his first choice, then he should apply early decision. The chances of getting in are significantly higher (though not as high as the difference in acceptance rates might suggest), and should he be admitted, he is permitted to decline for financial reasons if the aid package is not substantive enough. He would also be able to appeal his aid package and potentially get a higher number, and if the result of the appeal is unsuccessful or not enough of a raise, he could decline his offer at that point as well.

@LSilkes

2 Likes

That seems unlikely for the OP’s student, because:

@Mwfan1921, he falls within the range of what it’s been the last few years. He’s right at 217. But no one knows what the magic number will be until it’s released and that is not until fall, unfortunately.

1 Like

Dartmouth is not his first choice, not by far. He is likely not going to do ED anywhere, it’s too risky for us. EA he may do, ED not.

1 Like

A lot of schools will provide a fee waiver if you apply for aid or you can ask the GC for fee waivers or you can email the school and ask for one for the app and css profile.

1 Like

Well the cold and location can’t be helped, but I would mention there are multiple buses to Boston and NYC every day if any students want to go. And the fall and spring are lovely and not that cold.

In addition, I know many students at so-called city colleges, and, with the exception of NYU, they spend very little time in the city simply because so much is happening on campus itself. Dartmouth is no exception.

But, in relation to partying and greek life, there is NO requirement to do those to have an active social life at Dartmouth or to enjoy it. Here is a repost for your convenience @LSilkes :

Hey! To be clear, every elite school had a frat centric or finals club centric social atmosphere of something of that nature like 40 years ago. It was just very white guy dominated at the time. Dartmouth is only known for it due to the Animal House movie, based on a now ended frat.

In the last few decades, finals/eating clubs and frats have reformed at top institutions, and Dartmouth has really led the way on that. We had to, since that ridiculously overexaggerated movie made us unfairly well known for greek life.

As a result, unlike most schools, almost all parties and events at frats have become open to everyone with a Dartmouth ID. This is important, since these spaces cannot be dominated any longer by the same demographic. Places like finals clubs at Princeton on the other hand, are largely exclusive i.e. you need to know someone on the inside to get into events.

Furthermore, a lot of frats have changed or popped up which are very different from traditional frats. Many are just like student societies, focused on social justice, or playing board games or video games together. The general use of the term greek life does not really represent the majority of societies we have here. Several are gender inclusive.

Also, most students involved in greek societies don’t live there, also unusual. Most live in college housing. As a result, people’s involvement in greek societies generally only represents a fraction of what they do at Dartmouth. So, it’s quite easy to have an active social life at Dartmouthwithout rushing a society. I don’t plan on it, for example, and I’m not all worried. I will always have access to parties if I want it, and besides there are tons of other things going on in the weekends, like movies, theater productions, game nights etc. These are all very well attended, and I’ve often chosen not to go to a party to attend some of these

Of course, like any college, the party scene is alive and well. So the majority of your daughter’s friends will be going out on the weekends. But as I said, there’s always other options, and plenty of people who don’t choose that. But people at these schools are a lot more interesting and less traditional party people than in high school. I never partied in high school but now I do on most weekends for one night at least. And the first few times, I didn’t even drink, and there was NO pressure on me to do so.

Hope I helped, let me know if you have any more questions!

May I ask why you consider it risky (in general I mean not for Dartmouth necessarily)? I already explained that there is a significant admissions advantage to a top college, and you are freely allowed to reject ED offers of admission for financial reasons without trouble. Plus, you can EA any public school simultaneously so I really don’t see the downside.

I wouldn’t bother applying to UT because it will not be affordable as an OOS.

We have typical assets and the NPC results for us and others we know ranged from accurate to not accurate at all.

We didn’t discourage our son from applying to any school based on the NPC, but he was aware prior to applying what our budget was and that he could only choose a school that came in at or below.

1 Like

@Gogreen19 need blind relates to admissions, not financial aid. It means the college doesn’t consider your level of financial need when they review your application for admission.

This family owns a second investment property which WILL be viewed as an asset by Dartmouth.

I think this student has the potential to be accepted, but cost could be an issue.

It sounds like you are or were a Dartmouth student…and it’s great you love your college. But this kid doesn’t want the climate or location.

2 Likes

Your son’s stats are almost identical to mine (graduated HS last year): 4.0/4.8, IB Diploma, 1510 SAT, National Merit Scholar. We had people pushing him to go for a “name” school but we got ZERO need-based aid and just didn’t want to pay well over six-figures for an undergrad degree. He is now at Florida State University on a FULL-RIDE National Merit Scholarship. The scholarship pays the published cost of attendance so he even gets money for travel, personal expenses, and enough left over for summer classes. On top of that, he is in the honors program and a dual-degree program and will come out with 2 bachelors degrees (Astrophysics and Mathmatics) in 4 years. He was also placed on a research project his very first semester. I’m so glad we didn’t spend $200k on “prestige” but a Top 20 public research school for $0!

1 Like

Florida cancelled that program. Gov. DeSantis signed the bill yesterday.
I believe students are grandfathered in so your son is safe for now, but it’s no longer available for new OOS students.