Low ACT section score, should I submit?

Hi,
I have a 33 ACT, and am planning on applying for computer science. I have had 90+ in all math classes taken, and have taken AP Physics and AP Statistics with 95+. However, I have a 27 Math score in the 33 ACT (27M, 33S, 34E, 36R). Should I even submit my ACT, or go test-optional?

This will be a school by school decision. Are you submitting any AP test scores? What is your highest level math (not counting AP stats)?

2 Likes

I’m submitting a 4 in AP Biology, a 4 in AP CSA, a 4 in AP Lang, and a 4 in AP Physics. My highest-level math class besides stats is Calculus honors.

1 Like

Without knowing your stats/entire app/college list, it’s tough to make a recommendation. Have you asked your HS counselor? They would know best.

That score probably makes sense to send to safeties and match schools, but maybe not reaches, again…all depending on your list.

2 Likes

Consider submitting your score to colleges that report a composite ACT profile for which the 25th percentile is 31 or lower; Consider not submitting your score to colleges that report a composite ACT profile for which the 25th percentile is 32 or higher.

Depending on the schools on your list, I would be cautious about submitting a 27 math sub score for a CS major.

2 Likes

Agree with @momofboiler1 here. Normally I’d follow the standard guidance around composite scores, but if you’re applying specifically for a CS program, the Math score will be a negative outlier. I would apply TO when you can until you improve that subscore.

If you are applying for direct admission to a CS major, your ACT math score of 27 will hurt your chances for admission.

Do you think that your ACT math score was an aberration ? If yes, then retake the ACT.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.