Low GPA Upward Trend, High ACT Chances?

<p>I'm a going to be a senior at a prep school in SE PA. I have some extenuating circumstances and my grades suffered until this year. I will address that in my college essay. Do I have a chance? My school doesnt rank. </p>

<p>Applying: Undecided </p>

<p>Freshman: 2.65
Sophomore: 2.66
Junior 3.53 (Current Cum 2.95)
Senior (So far) 3.6</p>

<p>ACT: 30</p>

<p>Recs: Excellent, Guidance counselor rec should be good citing extenuating circumstances.</p>

<p>Awards: 9th Grade Academic Achievement award in Programming, 10th grade JV hockey all star, JV hockey coaches award</p>

<p>I Went on service trip with Augustinian volunteers to South Africa</p>

<p>Leadership: Head of Programming robotics team, Senior captain of Varsity Ice Hockey team.</p>

<p>ECs: FIRST Robotics, academic competition, March for Life club, varsity ice hockey, Theatre Society, stock market club, intramural soccer and basketball, Club ice hockey, eBay powerseller, jv lacrosse, and 250+ hours of community service.</p>

<p>As numbers-centric as VT is you’re a pretty extreme reach.</p>

<p>bump…</p>

<p>laxdude43,</p>

<p>My two cents…If your extenuating circumstances are genuine then you need to make sure the Admissions Committee reads it. I’m not sure how you do that, but if you are going to have a chance, that needs to be brought to light IMHO. Your ACT score is good but your GPA is going to reflect an “under achiever” label if you do not have course rigor (multiple AP classes or dual enrollement). Another major criteria will be what VT college you apply into. I’d suggest staying away from engineering or industrial design as those seem to be extremely competitive. Good luck.</p>

<p>Update: 32 on December ACT</p>

<p>Similar circumstances here.</p>

<p>Fresh: 2.7
Soph: 3.5
Junr: 3.65 (3 AP’s)
Senr: 3.91 (4 AP’s)</p>

<p>ACT: 28</p>

<p>AP US History: 4
AP English 11: 4
AP Environmental Science: 3</p>

<p>Guidance consular is writing about the divorce freshman year. </p>

<p>EC’s are okay. Good rec.</p>

<p>Also, not to hijack this thread, but those AP scores yield 16 credits at VT. That is more, significantly more than other Virginia schools.</p>