Loyola Chicago-how good?

<p>Hi everyone</p>

<p>I just found out that I got accepted to Loyola in Chicago and I'm pretty happy about it. But I want to know how good it is. I know it has a good reputation academically and it's a Jesuit school, but what are the employment prospects like for grads from there? and how hard are the classes/what are the best majors to study there? And are the dorms any good? Any info on the academics and related things there would be great.</p>

<p>Hey, sorry I can’t help answert your questions but I am waiting on my decision from loyola Chicago and I wondered if you could tell me your stats to see if I match up. If you don’t want to I totally understand</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>sure
i have a 3.4 gpa on a 4.0 scale
25 act
ap classes
extracurrics like school paper and community service…</p>

<p>good luck!</p>

<p>It’s not a good school…</p>

<p>^Did you go to Loyola? Your statement could be helpful if you add some explanation, reasons, experiences…</p>

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I recently graduated from Loyola in May of 2010 with my B.S. in Molecular Biology. I will say that Loyola was one of the best experiences that I’ve had. To answer your questions:</p>

<p>Employment Prospects: I had no difficulty getting into grad school to go for my PhD in biology. Several of my friends have gotten into various medical schools, grad schools, and have been offered jobs in the work force. You do need to keep in mind however that the job market is not ideal right now and many recent grads are enrolling in different graduate programs to further their education and become more marketable. Loyola offers several 5 year programs in which you receive both a bachelor’s degree and masters. These include a BS in Bio/Masters in Education, BS in Bio/MBA, BS in finance, marketing, etc/MBA.</p>

<p>How hard are the classes/Best major to study there: The difficulty of the class depends on the major and the professor. I have had some challenging classes at Loyola but I can honestly say that I enjoyed all of my professors and learned a lot from them. They are often available after school and due to the relatively small class sizes often get to know you on a personal level. As far as what to major in, this is something you need to align with what you want to do. As a Jesuit school, Loyola is a huge advocate of following your passion. They are there every step of the way to help you reflect and decide what it is you want to do. Once you figure that out, its a matter of putting your thoughts into action.</p>

<p>Dorms: I lived on campus all four years at Loyola and was a Resident Assistant for 3 of them. The freshmen dorms can run a tad small but that is usually the case for all colleges. Freshmen are required to live on campus and students may opt out usually from the sophomore year on. I lived in Simpson Hall freshmen year and absolutely loved it. Simpson is a suite style dorm which means that two rooms (two students each) share a bathroom. Other freshmen dorms include Mertz (community bathrooms), Regis (a relatively new and updated bathroom in room dorm), and Campion. Upperclassmen dorms are more apartment style and can range from one bedroom to as many as four or five. I lived in Baumhart Hall for the other 3 years and am a huge advocate for this particular residence hall. Although it is a bit pricier to live in Baumhart, its location more than makes up for it. Baumhart is located in downtown Chicago only 2 blocks from Michigan Ave and 3 blocks from the John Hancock Building. Its a 24 story high rise and is only 5 years old. It has a small workout room, laundry facility, cafeteria, chapel, and study area. Rooms include 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room, and kitchen. Only sophomores - seniors can live there so it would have to be something you choose to do after freshmen year. </p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Overall, I would recommend Loyola (I have absolutely NO regrets going there) for its location, its faculty, the Jesuit ideals that make up its foundation, and for all Chicago has to offer.</p>

<p>Thank you, LoyolaGrad2010! That’s very helpful. My daughter will be visiting Loyola later this month and is looking forward to seeing the campus. </p>

<p>Like most families, we are a little worried about cost. Do you know if Loyola tends to be generous with financial aid?</p>

<p>Mary13,</p>

<p>Loyola is known to be very generous with financial aid. I came from a public high school. My mother is a Middle School aid and my father drives a fork lift so we are definitely a blue collar family. Loans will need to be taken out but college loans can be deferred until the student graduates and hopefully lands a job and can start paying them off. I’ve included a link to an article about reasons to go to a pricier college and I believe they state that 90%of Loyola students receive financial aid. Hopefully this helps out with your decision and enjoy your visit!</p>

<p>[4</a> Reasons to Choose a Pricier College](<a href=“Under Construction”>Under Construction)</p>

<p>sounds great! I intend on taking community college classes for the first year and then transfer. I really loved it when I visited and they offered me the most money of the other schools I applied to, and I could definitely see myself going there. Thanks so much for your insight, I appreciate it!</p>

<p>We went to see the campus - beautiful!!! The Jesuit education comes highly recommended and my son loved Chicago (so did I). Saying my prayers that he gets in. Anyone know about scholarships there? </p>