Mac or PC laptop?

<p>Im going into the PRISM program at UM and was wondering which laptop to get. Which is recommended? Which can get the job done for the classwork the best? Pros and Cons of each?</p>

<p>Also is UM mac friendly or PC friendly?</p>

<p>I called the IT department.</p>

<p>They have buying advice at <a href=“http://www.miami.edu/itp[/url]”>www.miami.edu/itp</a></p>

<p>The site features Dell and Apple products. They did say that come mid-July a promo will come out offering back to school specials with special discounts on bundled offerings. (bags, laptops, jump drives, ect.) </p>

<p>I got the sense an extra 10% savings was involved. Good luck.</p>

<p>Overall, it depends on what you’re going for. My big problem with Macs is that their screens tend to be damaged easily, but if you take care of your computer it will last a long time.</p>

<p>For longevity, any computer will last to a ripe old age with proper care. So, to get the best bang for your buck…</p>

<p>Mac Pros: Super cool look, fancy software, usually works
Mac Cons: Sometimes doesn’t work, limited software available</p>

<p>PC Pros: Almost all software works on a PC, PCs are supported everywhere, cheaper, usually works
PC Cons: not as cool a look, Sometimes doesn’t work</p>

<p>Regardless of what you decide on, I’d go with Linux… but I won’t lecture you on that ;)</p>

<p>Anyway, since the biggest thing with me was a downright price comparison, here it is:</p>

<p>Macbook Pro
15-inch: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
250 GB harddrive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
And an illuminated keyboard
$1,999.99</p>

<p>Comparable PC:
This is the closest one I could find, though the processor is marginally slower…
[Newegg.com</a> - lenovo IdeaPad Y530-5900U NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5900(2.20GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 250GB HDD Dual layer DVD Burner Intel GMA 4500MHD - Laptops / Notebooks](<a href=“http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146557]Newegg.com”>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146557)</p>

<p>For $700. Quite the price difference.</p>

<p>The computer I recently bought from System76 (here comes my linux pitch…)
Display Resolution 15.4" WSXGA+ Super Clear Glossy LCD (1680 x 1050) (lovely)
Hard Drive 320 GB 5400 RPM SATA II
Hardware Warranty 3 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 3 Yr. Technical Support
Memory 4 GB - DDR2 800 MHz - 2 DIMMs
Operating System Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) 64 Bit Linux
Optical Drive CD-RW / DVD-RW
Processor Core 2 Duo P8600 2.40 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 3 MB L2 (25 Watt)
Wireless Intel Wi-Fi Link 5100 - 802.11A/B/G/N Up to 300 Mbps</p>

<p>Meaning it has the same processor, a better screen, great looks, twice as much RAM, and a 3 year warranty… for $1400. But that’s probably more than you want.</p>

<p>Anyway, the choice between a mac and a pc is mainly between a really high quality look for your laptop or a lesser quality look. While people argue that Macs are faster, more stable, and more virus proof, that’s not true: Windows runs just as fast (often faster… Macs are such RAM hogs), just a stable, and with the proper antivirus software, just as virus proof. It’s just a choice between looks. Unless you opt for linux :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: (But don’t, seriously, it’s not that good for the mainstream yet)</p>

<p>Robert</p>

<p>About half of students have Macs and most students who have PCs have the Dells that the school recommends. I’m a huge Mac person, so I’m going to have to say Macbook all the way.</p>