Marine Science and PRISM

<p>Right now I am a biology major but might change my major to marine science. I was also invited to the PRISM program. I know that PRISM has a pretty strict, unflexible curriculum so I was just wondering if a marine science major would be able to overlap with PRISM well.</p>

<p>Also, what do most marine science majors do after graduation? I'd like to keep my options open because I am very unsure of what I will do later - maybe med. school or some job related to my degree???</p>

<p>And how hard is it for an internal transfer? Is it even possible?</p>

<p>The marine science major is a required double major, e.g. you have a marine science major and another core science like bio, chem, or physics, geology, etc. So basically you wouldn’t be changing anything, you’d just be adding a major. Not too sure about PRISM, I won’t be part of it due to personal preference (plus, I have heard that it’s not that great of a program, the time and effort required isn’t justified by its benefits). I’ve also heard that it’s a GPA killer, which isn’t the best option if you’re looking into med school or grad school.</p>

<p>After graduation, I would assume that most marine science majors are looking at grad school, but the double major allows you to basically do whatever you want. For example, if you were in the market for a marine science job, but there were none available, you could get a job as basically any research assistant or lab tech with the bio degree. This is especially nice due to the fact that the market for marine scientists is limited and the supply is saturated (I’m banking on it becoming bigger within the next 7-8 years, but you really never know). But most jobs in marine science, or any research science for that matter, are going to require at the very least a Masters, if not a Ph.D. </p>

<p>If you were to add the marine science major, it would be a lot of work, but the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science has the number one marine science program in the country, so it would definitely be, at least in my opinion, a sound investment of your time and effort.</p>