• Type of high school : Public
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: South Asian
  • Entering junior year

Intended Major(s): Computer science

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• HS GPA ~ 3.87 (4 point scale)
  • CGPA : 9.6 (10 point scale)
  • Class Rank: N/A
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1290 SAT last year; plan to retake it, expecting 1500+ based on practice tests

Coursework
I am following the curriculum prescribed by the national board of education in my nation. It is a relatively rigid system that doesn’t allow the students to pick a more difficult course than their grade level. However, I will be studying with a concentration in science (physics, chemistry and maths) junior year onwards.

Extracurriculars

• been part of student council multiple times
  • participated in Ethics bowl for 2 years, winner state-level and runnersup regional level
  • Multiple debates, MUNs, and public speaking activities
  • Built a website which helps universities and students easily access old and rare literary content in a vernacular language for free
  • Currently founding a non-profit youth organization
  • Will be doing a summer internship next year at an institution for fundamental research in the astronomy department
  • Reviewed 3 papers for Frontiers for Young Minds, including one by a noble laureate
  • learnt classical singing for 5 years

Cost Constraints / Budget
Major cost restraints, I would prefer a school which is open to giving full / near full scholarship to international students.
Also I feel it may be better if the school is need-blind?

Schools
I’m looking forward to any input for schools I should look into. I would prefer to apply early decision, and as mentioned above, I think it would work in my favor if the college is need-blind and need-based for international students.
Also what are my chances at ivy leagues or top 20s based on my current stats

If you apply ED you are bound, so you better run the net price calculators to make sure they will give you what you need.

This will be a tall task for you, especially if you don’t raise your SAT. Even if you do it won’t be easy. So your odds are highly unlikely.

The schools that are need blind and meet need are:

Amherst, Bowdoin, Dartmouth, Harvard, MIT, Princeton and Yale. Brown will join in two years.

There are others such as Franklin & Marshall that meet need but are aware.

What is your actual budget ? Or what do some of the net price calculators show that you can afford? Just because these schools are generous doesn’t mean they’ll be generous for you.

A school like U of Alabama is very aggressive with aid but you’d still have to pay some.

Good luck.

If you want a very honest answer: based on your current stats and ECs, your chances at the Ivies or top 20 CS schools with a full ride are close to zero. Why?

• strong GPA, but pretty much all other applicants to these schools have similar or better GPAs
  • current SAT is far below range (you can apply test optional to most schools, but I don’t believe the rest of your profile compensates)
  • average ECs
  • applying to the most competitive major in America (CS)…
  • as an international student from an over represented region…
  • seeking (near) full financial aid

I don’t mean to discourage you, I’m trying to paint a realistic picture because you asked.

You’re a rising junior so you still have time. Work on getting the best grades you can, raise your test score, establish a strong relationship with your teachers (so they can write great, personalized LORs), research target schools so you can write strong essays, and engage in activities you are passionate about (for example, you don’t need to start a non-profit to stand out; instead you can volunteer and make an impact with an existing one).

Plenty of schools here are need blind. But that does not mean they’ll give you aid. You need schools that will meet full need for international students. Some of these will be need aware, but if you are accepted, they’ll meet your financial needs. You can also target schools like Alabama that @tsbna44 mentioned that offer huge merit awards, but you’ll need to raise your SAT score very substantially.

Note that none of these will be easy to get into with a full ride, so you should have a solid safety in your home country.

Lastly: you cannot rely on being able to find a sponsoring employer after you graduate so you should not count on being able to stay on in the U.S.

3 Likes

You need a school that is BOTH need blind for admissions and guarantees to meet full need for all international students. Here, these are the following which are highly competitive for admissions even with a perfect SAT score, and grades. They have very very low acceptance rates…rejecting more than 90% of applicants…many of whom have stellar applications.

• Amherst College.
  • Bowdoin College.
  • Dartmouth College.
  • Harvard University.
  • Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
  • Princeton University.
  • Yale University

Please first find a sure thing for admissions that is affordable in your home country. Get that sure thing! Then apply to some highly rejective colleges here if you want to…with realistic expectations.

2 Likes

Extremely low, in my opinion.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.