Match Me: Asian Male from KS applying for Materials [or nuclear] Engineering [4.0/4.66, 1590, 36, <$25k]

Yep, ASU, AZ, and IIT, not UA or UAH, but yes UAB. :+1:

1 Like

Are there any smaller colleges that could be on a potential application list?

Did you look at the Abet list of schools with materials and/or nuclear engineering majors? Those are your choices, unless you want to expand the major you’d consider.

For smaller schools with Materials, the issue is likely to be the budget. You could run the NPC at Colorado School of Mines.

RPI, Lehigh and JHU are also relatively small
so run those NPCs too. Lehigh and RPI are targets (but off the list if the NPC isn’t in range), JHU another reach.

Alfred is really small, but likely won’t be affordable, but run the NPC.

2 Likes

@ucbalumnus @MrE5764 Kansas may participate in tuition consortium for in state tuition where major is not available in state.

One of the only loopholes for avoiding non-resident fees at a state school is if you can prove your home state doesn’t offer the program you’re applying to. Most states waive higher tuition rates for specialized programs available in select regions of the country. If you live in Kansas, for instance, but the state schools don’t offer any Biomedical Engineering education, you may be able to attend a program in Illinois at a discounted rate. In addition, neighboring states or border areas often have discounted rates for local residents of the area regardless of what side of the border they live on.

Northwestern is a top school for Materials, and it fits your other criteria well - seems like a good ED choice, and applying ED would improve your chances. Great music opportunities there, too.

Another mid-sized university with a very strong Materials program and full-need-met aid is Carnegie Mellon. Posters here are often reluctant to recommend CMU to high-need applicants because of their reputation for stingy aid, but they seem to have adjusted/improved their financial aid algorithms in recent years, so it’s worth running the NPC to see how it looks. It’s another great school for music opportunities, too. (At both Northwestern and CMU, music majors in the conservatory program will dominate the music scene, so you need to look closely at what’s accessible to non-majors; but I have heard good things about non-major opportunities at both.) CMU is need-blind and, unlike Northwestern and Cornell, has ED2.

1 Like

So this could be interesting and could be a full ride.

https://www.rose-hulman.edu/academics/degrees-and-programs/minors-and-certificates.html

But, it’s a minor in materials
It’s a small school engineering 24/7.

Don’t know if it’s a better path just different. Kids get placed.

IIT above could be a full ride, small and great placememt.
Or https://www.mse.iastate.edu/

With a nuclear minor

Follow the link.
Then click ABET Accredited Programs.
Then click Search By Category.
Then you can select major and location.

1 Like

I didn’t find it to difficult actually

Lol

Given your majors, UTK stands out best to me in form of major strength and finances. UNM could work too as could Missouri Science and Tech (look for Kansas reciprocal tuition - looks like it might exist).

Northwestern and Cornell are fine schools that don’t make sense for you.

Also, if you are budget constrained and these don’t make sense for you but Tulsa will be free and Alabama, Maine, UT Dallas and more will be well under the NPCs you looked up. Not saying they are right for you because like Cornell and Northwestern they aren’t but NMF is the golden ticket.

1 Like

UNM has nuclear engineering and generous merit scholarships, but I don’t think they have a materials major?

Correct - they have Chem which is in the ballpark. But you are 100% correct.

To me UTK or Miss Sci & Tech make all the sense. Over Cornell and Northwestern btw.

Thx for the catch.

I totally disagree with this. OP is a straight A student with a 1590 SAT. He can get in to either of these schools, which are very highly ranked in Materials. The NPCs told him that they would be near his budget.

You’re suggesting Miss S & T over Northwestern or Cornell? Have you been to Rolla? I’d take Chicago or Ithaca any day of the week.

The question is, would you trust the NPCs for schools that are both $90k and don’t give merit aid, for a family that makes over $110k/year? Maybe. If the OP does this though, it’s important to be able to say no to an acceptance that isn’t affordable.

1 Like

I agree that the NPCs can be misleading and some times the actual financial aid is much different. If he EDs to one of these schools and the aid isn’t sufficient, he can back out of the acceptance.

But if the NPC is correct, Nortthwestern or Cornell under 30k is a great deal.

4 Likes

Yes I am because OP has two interests. While he’s starting with a preference for one, the second is very niche. But as you know, tons of engineers change their majors and if in fact he ends up not liking materials, he’s stuck.

Major over school - especially when there’s not a comparable or tangential major in substitute.

I personally would choose UTK due to proximity to Oakridge. And yes I’ve been to Ithaca many times (went to college an hour away) and driven through Rolla.

And that Rolla kid, if they decide upon nuclear engineering, will likely outperform that NU kid in salary.

But as noted - my first mention was Knoxville.

Listen I’d love for my kid to go to Cal Tech but if they wanted to study psych or soc or anthropology it would sort of be dumb.

Guess what - the OP won’t be tho only student of this caliber at ANY of these schools.

More importantly, if OP did decide to pivot off materials to nuclear, he’d be SOL. So a great deal at a top university would potentially not be a great deal. If you are in nuclear - you’ll radiate in the job market. They are paid ‘well.’ If you end up in materials, you’ll still do great from those schools.

That’s why I made the statement. You should, IMHO, always pick the major over school.

Also, OP potentially has financial issues but that is secondary as they seem comfortable with the NPC.

1 Like

I agree. Plus, who is really to say that Cornell and Northwestern are the cream of the crop for Materials? USNWR?

For grins I pulled my son’s alma mater (not a materials major) and looked up the top 5 employers for Materials grads for all three. They look equivalent to me. Plus, there aren’t even enough grads to have data on College Scorecard for the first two.

Cornell: Intel, Applied Materials, Apple, Corning, Google

Northwestern: Intel, Apple, Argonne National Lab, Dow, 3M

Cal Poly: Applied Materials, Northrop, Lawrence Livermore National Lab, Boeing, Google

My take home is don’t get caught up on the name. Focus on a budget that won’t hurt you or your family.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.