Match Me: NJ resident 3.76/4.0 /1410 under $35-40K for applied sciences

I’ve asked in the past, and gotten some great feedback (special thanks to @AustenNut ). Up until this point, it was all sort of vague conjecture, as my D24 hadn’t expressed too much of an opinion on things. As jr. year is coming to an end, I have a better sense of her whole picture. Would love some thoughts on the list of schools where she will apply - are my assessments,re: safety and match correct? Would also love any suggestions for other places to consider.

Her stats:
UW gpa: 3.76/4.0.
Rigor: Will have 3 AP courses (including sr. year). A couple of honors courses throughout the rest of her years of study, but mostly what our school classifies as “advanced” (one step up from the regular class, but one step below honors).
SAT: 1410 superscored (680 M/ 730 EBRW).
No involvement with school-based ECs. Has held part-time jobs throughout most of her high school years, works 15-25 hr per week. Involved in a religion-based youth group that focuses on humanitarian and charitable acts of service.

Intended major: undecided right now, but definitely something in the applied sciences, possibly chem or biochem.

Looking for: open to medium to large school (student population 5000-20k) with wide-enough major offering to accommodate changing her mind or narrowing her focus. Strong in sciences. Wants a school with “things to do”, either on or off-campus. Suburban or urban campus are each fine. Really wants to find her people in school (HS has been rough, socially). She’s very bright, but not hugely ambitious. Not quirky or artsy. I think she’d do best in an environment with lots of bright, chill students. No schools with religious affiliation, please.

Our budget: aiming to keep COA at or under $35k , at this point. If there was some completely perfect school that she fell in love with at $40k, I suppose we could make it work. I work in higher ed and a couple of schools on our list will only be financially feasible if she is awarded a tuition exchange (TE) scholarship (noting those with an asterisk). We have not visited all of the schools at this point.

We are in NJ. Willing to go 7-8 hours (by car), though MY preference would be to stay within 3.

The list, so far:

Likely/safety schools:
Rowan University
Unnamed school where I am employed
West Chester University
University of Rhode Island

Target/Match schools:
TCNJ
Syracuse*
University of Delaware*

Reach:
RIT*
Stevens*
Pitt*

Looking at this list, thinking we need to find another target or two that are affordable without TE.

2 Likes

To refresh my/our recollection, what is your home state? (I ask because of in-state tuition considerations.)

Editing original post to include this info.

Can you recalculate unweighted and a 4.0 scale unweighted GPA?

I just emailed her gc to see if I can get access to her transcript (right now, I only have access to naviance, which only lists a cumulative wgpa).

Is it safeto assume that the unnamed safety school is Princeton ?

Tough parameters due to overall COA at $35,000 per year if unwilling to attend large Southern flagship universities.

Have you looked at SUNY colleges ?

Why would you ask this? It is unnamed for a reason.

2 Likes

Intended to be humorous. Was a placeholder that OP found humorous.

1 Like

I thought it was funny!

2 Likes

Sort of. I am an alum of SUNY Albany, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I’ve been told it isn’t what it used to be anymore :woman_shrugging: I think Bing would be a reach, and we already have enough of those on the list (IMO). Not super familiar with the others…

SUNY-Geneseo

SUNY-College of Environmental Science and Forestry

I am from NJ too and just browsing through my son’s list. We have Stony Brook and Drexel on the list and I think it may fit your requirement too.

I think they will be over budget.

1 Like

If she applies early, then I think that Pitt would be a target/match, and I suspect RIT will be, too. Of course, that’s just for admissions. As far as TE goes, I suspect they’re all very much reaches.

I second checking out some of the SUNYs, several of which have a decently-sized Jewish population. (Hillel source info). Most of the SUNYs are participating in a flagship match program, where your D could attend for the cost of in-state at New Brunswick (source).

SUNY Oswego: about 6100 undergrads, and according to Hillel’s website, has 1,050 Jewish undergrads (15%).

SUNY New Paltz: About 6300 undergrads, and according to Hillel’s website, has 900 Jewish undergrads (15%).

Also, if she’s thinking about Stevens and RIT, has she given any thought to the New Jersey Institute of Technology? It seems to be the right size for her preferences and the in-state cost should be good.

3 Likes

Pitt came in over $45,000 after merit for my NJ daughter with higher gpa/scores, and that was in 2021.

heard back from the GC. UW is 3.76/4.0. Will update original post with info.

1 Like

No interest in Rutgers or other NJ public schools besides Rowan and the unnamed one?

1 Like

I think the size of Rutgers + the multi-campus/life on a shuttle bus is not going to be a great fit for her. We may have her apply, just to have it as an option. She’s also not really interested in my place of employment (even though it checks a lot of boxes) but she would likely get into the honors program and it is free, so, she will be sending in an application.

TCNJ is the only other NJ public we’re thinking about.

Another school that I don’t think has been mentioned yet is Ohio U. in Athens with about 18k undergrads. Its honors college is very well-reputed and has several options. Ohio public schools will freeze tuition for four years for each entering class, so you know costs won’t go up. And I believe that they stack merit awards, too. It’s about an 8-hour drive from central NJ.

https://www.ohio.edu/honors

https://www.ohio.edu/admissions/tuition/ohio-excellence-awards

5 Likes

Is the SUNY flagship match new? What a great option for NJ students!