Match my rising NC Senior: 4.0/1420/31 for Neuroscience <$30K

NC resident/ very competitive public high school
4.0/4.53
rank is in top 18% b/c school is so competitive!
first SAT in Spring of junior year 1420, first ACT 31, will retake both in early fall
caucasian female
plays viola in top orchestra at school, made regional and state orchestras
attended governor’s school for viola
swim team - club and school, golf team

AP’s - APUSH (5), Bio (5), Lang (4), Calc BC (4 sub 5) will have 4 more in sr. year - 8 total, all honors when available
CTE BioMedical certification
National Technical Honor Society, 2-3 other clubs
part-time/summer jobs teaching swim lessons
volunteers and sings in a select choir at church

What she wants:
some prestige, diversity, strong academics, medium size, not “hot” all the time climate, pretty campus, healthy food choices, good club or intramurals, chamber groups/orchestra experiences for non-majors, Christian groups/bible study choices available, East coast/drivable from NC

Welcome to CC. It sounds like she has accomplished a lot and will certainly have some good choices to compare next spring if she creates a balanced list of colleges to apply to that you can afford.

For colleges that others recommend here, you can run the net price calculator for each school to see if it gets you below $30,000 per year. Some colleges will just use FAFSA and more prestigious colleges also require the CSS application. Each college then has their own formula to get to what they believe a family can afford. Some may be right at $30,000, others may take home equity and other factors into play with CSS and tell you your family can afford $70,000. Make sure she knows your budget.

You have instate options that she should be encouraged to apply to that will be in budget. There are out of state public’s that will offer merit, but they are probably not the ones with as much prestige as some of your own in state options.

Trying to match merit opportunities within budget with a level of prestige requires a balanced list and probably fine tuning some of her wants v. needs.

Her AP scores are great. Those can help save money at colleges that give credits for courses.

1 Like

Has @watchingthemgrow indicated this was the budget, or did I miss it? Never mind…it’s in the title. OP, will your family qualify for any need-based aid?

Also, what do you consider driveable? 8 hours? 12 hours? Or…?

If your family does not qualify for financial aid, then there will be few choices that will meet everything on your daughter’s list. One school that seems to hit most of the items is:

• SUNY Geneseo: About 4500 undergrads at New York’s premier public liberal arts college. Sticker price was about $33k for SY22-23, and your daughter may well get merit aid to bring this within budget.

If your daughter has to compromise (and prestige will almost certainly need to be one area of compromise), which way would she veer? For instance, if medium-sized isn’t possible, would she rather go bigger or smaller? Is it more important that the climate not be “hot” all the time or that it has a diverse student body? Which factors on her list are the most important to her?

If you could run the Net Price Calculator (NPC) at some schools (say, Case Western, Lehigh, and/or Wesleyan) and let us know if the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is affordable for your family, that would be really helpful, as we would then have a better sense of what kind of schools we need to be looking for.

2 Likes

What does she mean by “prestige”…and why is this important to her.

@AustenNut is correct. Hitting the price point could be a challenge.

Will any of the public universities in NC work. Not UNC CH or NC State…but there are many others. Seems like they would be good choices if budget is important.

For places less hot in the summer…maybe head north a bit…I’m not sure you can hit your price point, but University of Delaware sounds like it could work. What about Temple?

I think if the ACT or SAT significantly improves it will open up more doors.

@AustenNut might University of Dayton be an option?

1 Like

OP here - Def. going to aim at bumping the scores up a bit! I think there’s a bit of text anxiety going on. (Was ok on Calc BC but forgot what perpendicular lines were on the SAT!) Actively looking for therapy to work on that.

DH’s company changed hands and had a stock buyout or something, plus I went back to full-time teaching, so we won’t qualify this year for any need-based. Also, the changing FAFSA is going to hurt us. in 2026 we’ll have 2 in college, and in 2027 all 3 kids should be in undergrad at the same time. It is going to be ROUGH. Hoping the CSS can help us.

From what we see, UNC is a target and NC State is a safety which doesn’t seem to have her chosen field of study. We need to look at the other state schools, but there’s no appeal at the moment, based on her summer camp/swim meet experiences on several campuses.

As far as prestige, this kid is really thankful for challenging classes. She said that FINALLY, having 3 AP classes with a lab gives her some challenge. (Still got A’s, but she actually had to study and work for them.)

Driveable - 7ish hours? We could do Atlanta as we have family there, but we don’t know anything about the northern options mentioned in the thread. We will check them out and run the NPC’s. Some time ago, we did one and got $48K, which isn’t realistic. Would LOVE to find some merit…and will aim for increasing those scores to get it. Duke is so far out of reach financially, but if by grace she were admitted, we would beg grandma to help… so please keep recommending!

You are fortunate to have your NC public universities as possibilities.

I think the issue is going to be hitting a budget if <$30k. But it’s possible that could happen. SUNY colleges could be an option…if she gets some merit aid. I am not all that familiar with which ones beside Geneseo give merit aid. Someone else can chime in.

I know Furman does not check all the boxes…and I’m not sure you can get to your price point…but maybe that’s an option. Another to check is Loyola Maryland. Again cost could be a factor. I think Skidmore would be good, as well as Connecticut College, but I’m not sure either can come in at your price point. They don’t give a lot of merit aid.

Because of your multiple kids in college…you would be well served to look where your student can get significant merit aid. @tsbna44 any ideas?

1 Like

I’m in NC and D24 was also looking at neuroscience.

The college that checks the most boxes would be UNC Chapel Hill, but who knows about admittance (class rank is probably going to be an issue, seems like they skim off a few of the highest ranked kids from each school in NC).

ECU and UNC-W have neuroscience (minor at Wilmington). It might be worth going to the open houses this fall and digging into their honors programs. ECU especially seems to be looking to attract high achieving kids with their honors program offerings and scholarships and if the neuroscience interest is pre-med they would be a top in-state affordable choice.

NC State has an IPN concentration, which looked to me like it would prepare a person pretty well for medicine or graduate study in neuroscience.

Not sure if this could make it to 30K, but check out University of Tennessee - Knoxville.

Another one to look at would be University of South Carolina. Their neuroscience program is new, and I hear great things about the honors program and financial aid there.

Miami University might be too far depending on where you are in NC, but could be worth checking out.

3 Likes

Bama, Arizona, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Florida State, WVU and there’s likely more potentially, UAH for smaller. There may be others - Kansas, etc. U of SC will be borderline.

Some schools won’t offer Neuro per se but it’ll be in other majors.

Not sure what some prestige means.

Schools will have strong academics if the student pursues it.

Prestige is in the eye of the beholder. Besides, a neuro major will likely continue schooling.

A solid Honors college at a large public will be good.

You may look at some SUNYs too - they’d be “possible” to hit budget.

But at Arizona, for example, a 4.0 is $32K off of $40K - so you’re mid 20s and the Honors dorm is unreal.

Bama - you get $24K off $32K but one more ACT point or earning their special scholarship goes up to $28K - so $4k less - so also low-mid 20s.

The others have scholarship estimators and I’m sure there’s more. U Maine another.

PS - flying, driving - sometimes flying is easier.

When you have a tight budget - you have to have tradeoffs.

That said, what’s wrong with UNCW - as an example? Fine school. or App State.

CNU would be another to look at - should get close and is close.

1 Like

Has your daughter looked into East Carolina’s neuroscience program https://neuroscience.ecu.edu/? Also, even if a college does not have a formal degree called neuroscience, your daughter can essentially still take the same courses from biology, psychology, etc, to study what she wants (and many universities allow students to create their own individualized majors). Also, honors colleges can help make a bigger school seem smaller and surround students with more academically-inclined peers.

Is the $30k budget considering what would be able to happen with 2 or 3 kids in college? Or just one?

To give a sense of distance, I’ve calculated the times from Greensboro, NC which seems a midway point between RTP and Charlotte, as a very competitive NC high school is probably in one of the two metros. Below are some schools that are within a 7ish hour drive that would have a decent chance of meeting your budget via merit aid (though definitely not extremely likely chance) and might have the intellectual environment your daughter is seeking. If you get need-based aid on top, that’d be even better, but we’ll wait to hear the results from the NPCs.

Smaller Schools

• Agnes Scott (GA): Women’s college of about 1100 undergrads and part of the Atlanta consortium whereby she could take classes at other colleges like Emory, Georgia Tech, and Spelman. 5h6m

• Centre (KY): About 1300 undergrads, 6h43m

• College of Wooster (OH): About 2k undergrads, 7h13m

• Furman (SC): About 2300 undergrads, 2h58m

• Muhlenberg (PA ): About 2100 undergrads, 7h33m

• U. of the South (TN): About 1700 undergrads, 7h4m

Larger Schools (look for the honors programs)

• U. of Kentucky: About 22k undergrads, 6h48m

• West Virginia. About 20k undergrads, 5h57m

3 Likes

Rhodes will check everything but the weather. You get some prestige (very smart kids - many premed and prelaw and Harvard educated president), diversity, beautiful campus, you need to check on orchestra but they definitely have music major and minor, merit money (possibility of within 30K), Christian community, drivable from NC…

4 Likes

Yes, this is important. There aren’t any career plans that require a major in neuroscience. Does she happen to be pre-med? If so, biology is a great option for a major (but she could major in anything as long as she takes all her pre-reqs). If she wants to eventually do a PhD in neuroscience, a major in biology is also a great option for that too. Pretty much every school has a bio major, so that opens up WAY more schools as options for her.

2 Likes

I agree that Rhodes would be a great contender. The only reason I didn’t include it in my original list is that it’s a 10h6m drive from Greensboro (9h35m from Charlotte, 10h58m from Durham), which was longer than the 7ish hours OP was hoping for. Of course, the college search process is filled with compromises from what is one’s ideal, and this might be a compromise that OP’s family would consider.

My daughter just graduated from Miami University of Ohio - it’s a public R2 university with about 17K undergrads and a small graduate program. It’s considered a strong university academically (it claims to be a “public ivy”) and has what has appeared on multiple lists as one of the prettiest campuses in the US. My daughter double majored in biochemistry and psychology and got a co-major in neuroscience. Neuroscience is not a standalone major there, only a co-major, and is usually combined with biology or psychology. But a co major means there are more classes than a minor would have – it’s basically a major, but one where you have to double major with something else.

Anyway, she had a great experience. She was in the honors program and the marching band but there are also tons of music groups to get involved in (none of which require you to be a music major). She started doing research her second year in a behavioral neuroscience lab, was able to conduct her own independent thesis project for which she received a bunch of funding through various programs at the university, and ultimately ended up winning a Goldwater Scholarship (very prestigious national stem award). This summer she is submitting that research project for publication, and in the fall she will be starting at one of the top ranked Neuroscience PhD programs in the country.

While out of state tuition is pricey, Miami is incredibly generous with merit aid - my daughter did not win their top amount and still ended up with a COA of about 28K per year. After the first two years where dorm living and a meal plan is required, your child can move off campus which saved us a TON of money. We were probably closer to 23K at that point. Oh, and they have the “tuition promise” which means that the tuition/fees you pay the first year are guaranteed to not go up for 8 full semesters - we paid the exact same amount of tuition for my daughter’s final semester as we did the first. Now that her brother is at a different university where tuition goes up 5-8% a year and every July brings another ugly surprise, I really appreciate what an amazing gift that tuition promise was.

Miami really prioritizes their undergrads (almost all classes are taught by professors etc) and, unlike schools with large grad programs where undergrads are rarely allowed to do anything cool in the labs, at Miami, undergrads were trained to do all sorts of research stuff that grad students normally do. My daughter designed her own project from scratch, wrote grant applications for funding, conducted the entire project independently, wrote up the results and presented them at several conferences that the university paid for her to attend. I feel like she got all the incredible teaching and personal attention that small liberal arts colleges are known for combined with all the benefits of a larger research university (more professors/bigger selection of courses/better funded labs etc.)

Miami is not exactly on the east coast and I guess it would be a bit of a drive drive from NC (it was 9+hours for us outside of Philly) but it meets everything else on your list - campus is drop dead gorgeous, the town is a picture perfect quaint little college town, there are tons of music opportunities and clubs, there’s 4 definite seasons but it never gets insanely cold and snowy, and there’s a lot of religious/bible groups available as many of the students come from a midwestern conservative background. The school has a reputation as “preppy” and “greek” but my daughter is the complete opposite of preppy sorority girl (think purple hair and doc martens) and found her people, so don’t let the reputation turn you off. The last several years Miami has been test optional and has not looked at test scores for merit - I don’t know if that will change for next year or not. They are also generous with awarding AP credit, although anything in your major they strongly recommend retaking no matter what your AP score - my daughter had a 5 in AP Chem and still retook the chemistry intro sequence (and was glad she did because she learned a lot that wasn’t covered in high school.)

If your daughter wants to pursue a higher degree in neuroscience, know that admission to PhD programs is incredibly competitive (most programs have a 5-8% admit rate) and the main thing that makes or breaks your application is the research experience obtained in undergrad. The research opportunities my daughter had at Miami were phenomenal and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

6 Likes

Practically speaking, she could commute her first year to any state school or branch campus if one is nearby and take her gen eds (and/or anything transferable) first year. My S19 graduated Pitt Honors College (in-state) neuroscience (double major with Philosophy) With merit it was way below $30K. He also didn’t even declare his majors until going into junior year, so she has time to figure it out.

Less than $30K and prestige will be very tough. National average for privates right now is $32K. I am going to throw out two names based on your requirement above: Cedarville U: https://www.cedarville.edu/
And Lipscomb University: https://www.lipscomb.edu/
Sounds like your daughter is pre-med? I know two solid kids that went to these schools from the RDU area. One is in med school and the other is treating orphans in Africa and will surely get into med school. Forget prestige. Go somewhere where your daughter will be the top student and the school provides adequate rigor to ace the MCAT but not too much rigor (hello UNC).

2 Likes

Much appreciate all the advice!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.