Match programs for aerospace/materials and mechanical engineering [3.4GPA, 1500 SAT, <$30k/year]

What if the net cost of NYU comes out higher than the NPC indicates? When you apply ED, you are stating that you will attend if accepted. Yes, insufficient financial aid is a reason to say no to an ED offer.

@MYOS1634 what do you think of the advisability of applying ED for this international student with financial constraints?

You have to get recent data right from the source. NYUā€™s Class of 2027 acceptance rate was 8%. I doubt Tandonā€™s was higher than that. NYU Sends Out Offers of Admission to the Class of 2027

NYUā€™s NPC is also notoriously bad for domestic students, let alone internationals, so I would not trust that net COA number. Their FA is also not as generous as other schools, and they require certification of 4 years of the net COA for internationals prior to enrolling your first year. NYU is NOT a good ED choice.
https://www.nyu.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/how-to-apply/international-applicants.html

I agree with thumper that applying ED might not make sense for you, as you have significant financial need. Talk with your parents and see what they think.

3 Likes

:grimacing: yikesā€¦ nevermind!!! thank you so much for your help, I didnā€™t know their calculator was so bad!

My safeties would most likely be SUNY new paltz or oswego.

3 Likes

No worries, thereā€™s no way you could have known!

4 Likes

If you get a student visa, you will not be able to apply for a work visa. The rule is that a student visa is for studying, not for working. You will be allowed to work for your college (you wouldnā€™t qualify for work study, but you can do a non work study job), but only for up to 20 hours a week. Summer employment is restricted, and OPT or CPT is required. See this link for a detailed explanation: Employment | ICE.

8 Likes

Hm I see, if I am allowed to work for my college I could still get paid, right? I could use that money towards my tuition. Iā€™m thinking if I could get paid internships after my freshman year and use that money towards my tuition :slightly_smiling_face:

" Work with an employer that is contractually affiliated with the school is on-campus employment even if the work site is not located on the campus (such as a research lab affiliated with your school)."

Youā€™re getting ahead of yourself, because youā€™re planning to pay with a job you donā€™t know if you can get ā€¦ but you canā€™t get a visa in the first place without proving that you have adequate funding to pay for school. Thereā€™s no way youā€™ll get a visa if your game plan for paying is to earn money once you start school. I strongly suggest picking a school that you think you might want to attend & talking to someone in their international student office. They will be able to explain things to you.

1 Like

As an international student, you probably will need a student visa to study here. To get that, you will need to complete a certificate of finances demonstrating that you have at the ready the funds to pay your costs here for collegeā€¦full costs. This can include already approved financial aid, and loans. It can NOT include potential sources of incomeā€¦like possible earnings from a job.

In addition, the amount of time you can actually work is somewhat restricted. You will not be able to work enough to fully fund your college costsā€¦or even half of them.

@happymomof1 @kelsmom @MYOS1634 @Mwfan1921 do you know the number of hours an international student can work here while attending college?

1 Like

Up to 20 hours a week, and these are typically minimum wage jobs. Definitely canā€™t count on them to pay for college. And as you said, proof of existing finances is required to get an F1 student visa.

3 Likes

Are you here with a parent as part of your parentā€™s visa?

2 Likes

And Alfred.
Because theyā€™re instate publics.

You may be eligible for work study, but it CANNOT help you pay for tuition -it can help with personal expenses and, if you save from one semester to the next, for books. Typically you work oncampus about 8-10 hours as a freshman (15 max and only as a sophomore bc hours worked has been studied and 6-10 is actually positive for the student and 15+ is severely detrimental to grades -and ofc working a lot affects activities, which are how you build your resume for after college so theyā€™re not optionalā€¦) Your work study award is typically $1,500 per semester, as in, the maximum you can earn working on campus. You need to find a job yourself -it can be working the breakfast shift in the cafeteria, helping the IT helpline, tutoringā€¦ depending on your status -freshman, sophomoreā€¦- and previous experience or success in specific classes. Youā€™re assigned a nulber of hours and are paid, usually a couple hundred dollars, twice a month.
Your bill for tuition, fees, room, and board, can sometimes be paid in monthly installments, but often itā€™s due half in July half in August or September. So work study canā€™t help pay for this.

Have you checked with your GC that you DO qualify for the 7 free SUNY apps but not for EOP or HEOP?

3 Likes

Ed is only advisable if the college meets full need for admitted internationals. It IS highly advisable if thereā€™s an affordable meet need school.
Does NYU meet need for internationals?.(they also have a very dubious reputatkon wrt FA and a lousy NPC). Basically Id never recommend NYU for ED if one needs FA, but feel free to change my mind due to their new ā€œmeet needā€ policy.
Also, I donā€™t think a NYS student with this level of financial need who isnā€™t HEOP has a real shot compared to HEOP candidates.
URochester meets need and is more reliable, but indicates a 33k, ie., out of budget, net cost, so I donā€™t see NYU Tandon as a real possibility ED.

What kind of visa do you currently have?
Sunys will consider you a NYS resident AFAIK but your status (undocumented, H4, F4ā€¦) could matter.

1 Like

The rules for H-4 visa holders are different than those for F-1, which was why I asked: ā€œUnder U.S. immigration laws, H-4 visa holders are allowed to study at any U.S. university. However, H-4 visa holders are not permitted to work in the United States. An H-4 visa holder is only allowed to apply for work authorization if the principal worker with the H-1B visa is applying for lawful permanent resident status (LPR) or has received an extension of H-1V status beyond the six-year limit.ā€

5 Likes

The problem ED-wise is that very few needs-met schools guarantee full-need-met aid to admitted international students. Schools like NYU, Rochester, and Northeastern definitely do not - on the contrary, they rely on the money they get from international students to balance their domestic financial aid budget. Of the schools who do meet need for internationals, only 7 are need-blind, and theyā€™re all extremely reachy. (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Dartmouth, Bowdoin and Amherst) The others who meet need will also be need-aware, meaning that the more aid you need, the harder it will be to be accepted.

If you can identify a need-aware school that will meet your need if you get in, and the net cost fits your budget, then thereā€™s no harm in applying ED and that may in fact be the only way to have a realistic shot at acceptance. But it will be an uphill battle to get in, because generous schools are also competitive schools, and high need puts your at a further disadvantage. (Although, you arenā€™t a $0 EFC student so the disadvantage isnā€™t as significant as it could be.) But NYU likely is not the right school to shoot that shot at. Have you run the NPC for Lehigh? Thatā€™s one that could be worth evaluating - not too far from home, needs-met aid, strong engineering.

5 Likes

No, my family can afford those colleges without the job, I was just wondering if thatā€™s an option for me later on. But I am able to pay regardless of the job

1 Like

yes! they work in this country. so they are able to pay for my college tuition- I donā€™t need to rely on a job of my own

But can they pay a LOTā€¦because some of your colleges might actually costā€¦a lot.

1 Like

I talked with my GC before and she said I donā€™t qualify for the 7 free SUNY applications- thatā€™s because both my school and I donā€™t qualify as economically disadvantaged and that is true. Which is fine because I can afford the application fees.

1 Like

They can pay in the 20-30k range that Iā€™ve seen with the instate SUNYs :smiling_face: Iā€™ve confirmed this with them so I know theyā€™re viable

4 Likes

Awesome. Itā€™s good to have confirmation that you will be able to afford the schools.

3 Likes