Math Placement Test- What do results mean?

<p>I'm going to be a microbiology major for next fall and have just completed the Math Placement Exam. After taking it, the results said that I would be able to register for Calculus I Math 151. I need to take Math 147 and 148 for my degree. Do I go ahead and register for Math 147 (Calculus for Biomedical Science) or do my test results mean I need some pre-reqs before?</p>

<p>I took my math placement exam hours ago and I am approved to take calc 151 even though I need to take calc 147: calc for bio sciences. I got 29 out of 33. I would assume that if you qualified for 151, then you also qualify for 147 since 147 is required for bio majors. In essence, you are approved and can register for 147.</p>

<p>I’m in kind of the same boat but going into Engineering, so math 151 is the next class for me. however, I just completely winged the MPE the first time and didn’t even know half the stuff and got a 21…whoops. You need a 22 to register for 151. I was really mad because I’m even in Calc 1 right now in high school and am doing just fine. I think this year is the first year they make their results binding. What did you guys really find the hardest on the test? Any advice for me second time around? I think the Logarithms are what killed me. I was fine on the pre-calc stuff.</p>

<p>I forgot trig identities and solving problems involving number e. Refresh on the logarithms rules! That will help dramatically. Look over the MPE practice test carefully. Know ur special right triangles well!!!</p>

<p>do you need to print out the page saying that you passed and bring it to the NSC? Because I closed that page already…I hope I don’t have to print it out…I can’t find anywhere on the site about my score anymore</p>

<p>Nah. It records your scores and the admissions counselor will be able to see them. Or you can just tell them what you got I’m pretty sure.</p>

<p>So I guess they weren’t kidding when they told us to study for the MPE…I reviewed the crap out of their practice test and revived by old Algebra II and Pre-calc folder and improved my score to a 32/33… I’m assuming this score records automatically since they said on the site “your score has been recorded.” Hence my last post.</p>

<p>Do you have to know a lot of trig identities?</p>

<p>Yes, you do. Although those are some of the easier ones. Just know how to factor really really well and know your logarithm rules.</p>

<p>K I just took it and got 27/33</p>

<p>But jeez …I still really need to review my algebra…</p>

<p>Honestly if you got a 22 you’re in the clear. You can bone up on your algebra in college and work hard. the important thing is that you passed and now you can register for classes and are not setting yourself back.</p>

<p>Your post reminded me of some related questions I had. I took AP Calculus this year, but my NSC is July 12th, before AP scores are officially released by CollegeBoard.</p>

<p>Is there a Calculus placement test I can take to ensure that I place out of Calc I? (I am a biochem major and am required to take calc 2 and 3 for engineers as well). I know that scores are available by phone on July 1st-- will colleges have access to the scores by then?</p>

<p>I took the math placement exam and got a 33, but that only confers readiness for Calc I.</p>

<p>I think the way it works is that if you pass the MPE you are in the clear to take your normal level math class – any math class you want to test out of is within your jurisdiction and can be worked out between you and the school.</p>

<p>Make sure you have the requires credit to test out of Calc I. I’m engineering so I’m not going to take the credit even if I get a good score on the test mainly because I just want to get used to the university’s math. During your NSC you will meet with your counselor, so you will be able to work out your schedule with him/her. Basically if you know in advance that you tested out of Calc I and want to test out of that class, make that information available to Texas A&M. Make sure you have that information at hand when you meet with your adviser. If you have proof of your score and it meets A&M’s requirement to test out, they technically have to let you test out.</p>

<p>Hope that somewhat helps.</p>