Freshman Math Placement Exam (MPE)

Hi, I am an incoming freshman to TAMU. Since every freshman is required to take the math placement exam before being placed in a math class, I had a few questions. Looking at the practice exams that have been posted, a lot of it I just haven’t learned in class. Also, I plan to major in Biology.

Is it okay if I do very poorly on the test?

If doing poorly resulted in having to take pre-calculus, would that be a bad thing for my degree plan?

@aggieco2023 Welcome to Aggieland. Many students do poorly on the exam. My son had not had calc but passed, so just do your best. Worst case scenario you take Math 150 to give you an overview of all maths and that will qualify you to take Math 147 (Calc 1 and then Calc 2). So no, it won’t be bad, it’s best to get a good foundation, but don’t tank it on purpose. Hope that helps!

@AggieCO2023 If I may add something to what Aggie Mom said, if you dont feel confident in the material it would be beneficial to take the remedial math course. My room mate was in 150 last semester and it really helped him in 151 with algebra manipulation.