McGill Decisions Class of 2027

Hi!!! I got accepted on 26/1 for Arts with a $3000 entrance scholarship (didn’t apply for the major one) and I submitted my app sometime in December. My stats:
Canadian student (non-Quebecois) , private international school with IB curriculum (Predicted 44/45 points). Hope this helps, even if its just for reference :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What are you’re stats

Has anyone been denied yet?

1 Like

Accepted to BA in Economics back in December, still waiting on Desautels. I forget exact wording… Reviewed Decision Pending?

same :smile:

My school doesn’t do ranking or GPA weighting so I only applied with my IB grades (Predicted 41/42).

@Annaaaaaa
Bit confused, as you listed IB predicted score of 44/45, and then 41/42 which is a substantial difference. Moreover, IB schools have to provide a single expected score for student, rather than a range. Would appreciate feedback/views from both you and the CC admins

As to McGill admission, looking at each departments requirement from the previous year in their website, does it mean near guaranteed/early notice admission for those with an expected grade equal to the upper boundary IB grade cutoff displayed on their webpage?

Here are last year’s cut offs by department. Re IB- you can list just the subject score total which would be out of 42, or the total score including extended essay and the TOK class which would be out of 45.

2 Likes

What cwill said. As I’m also applying for other schools requiring a predicted grade out of 45, that’s why I posted 44/45 (which is what my school predicted) in my first post. As McGill assesses students out of 42 (only subject point without EE and TOK), my predicted subject points would be 41 without the 3 extra points.

My son is still “Reviewed-Decision Pending” for Arts. US IB student with IB predicted just a few points above the cut off for arts from last year. Anyone else in this category?

Not sure how one can even get a predicted IB score of 44-45 unless your school inflates IB estimate. My son is in an IB school and the highest they will even predict is a 7 (and that is very rare/impossible). He has an unweighted GPA of 3.9+. He predicted without TOK/Extended essay is about 39/40. HL Physics (A /4.0), HL Math (A/4.0), HL Film (A/4.0), SL Spanish (3.9), SL Environmental Science (A/4.0), DP English (A/4.0)

I agree that some countries/schools seem to inflate IB predicted scores. It is nearly impossible to get a predicted score of 7 at my son’s school (US). Not sure McGill takes this into account.

1 Like

My Son is a US-based IB student. Unweighted GPA of 3.9+. Without TOK/Extended essay, he has a predicted IB score of about 37. His school notoriously deflates predicted IB scores, so a predicted 36-37 is the highest predictive score they will provide (without TOK/Ext Essay points). Due to this, he has been in “Reviewed decision pending” limbo since mid-January.
There seems to be no light at the end of this tunnel. According to McGill website this category means “gray area” and results can come as late as mid-May! I’m sorry, no one is waiting around until May when tuition/housing deposits and confirmation of acceptence are due by 5/1/23.

He applied to McGill 10/27/22. Requested Fall semester final grades with predicted IB scores were uploaded 12/22/22. McGill bobbled this had these listed as missing. Took weeks and many emails to correct McGill admissions oversight/mistake.
Needless to say we are very discouraged with McGill system.
He has received acceptance and scholarship(!) to one of top 4 UK schools (Russell group=UK Ivy), #1 university in Ireland, and finalist candidate for 2 top US engineering schools (2-step admissions process/ finalists invited to campus for final decision/college president interview)-both of these schools are partially/fully funded scholarships.
Irony with IB students and McGill seems that if these students applied with only GPA, they would be admitted. The IB students seems to be held to a higher standard. My frustration is also that our friends’ daughter was accepted to McGill a few years ago. She attended a mediocre urban public school where students get an “A” for showing up and not assaulting teacher. This student’s “A” is very different from the “A” the IB students receive.

I 100% agree. I feel my son would have been more favorably assessed by McGill without IB coming from a US high school. He has been “Reviewed decision pending” since the end of Jan when we uploaded grades and IB predicted. My son’s predicted is 38/42 and he has a high GPA. He is applying to Arts-- not even a competitive engineering program like your son. It is very hard to get a sense of their chances. I see some mentions online of applicants in this category getting in as early as March. Others never get in. He really likes McGill but this limbo is frustrating, especially as non IB applicants are getting in with little regard to course rigor.

My son did just get into UBC so that was happy news. It sounds like your son has wonderful options and I have a feeling it will work out for him at McGill too. But the wait is hard.

2 Likes

IB is not a rigorous program so you cannot really blame the lower grades of other students for that.
Students from public schools that do not follow the IB program already come at a disadvantage as they do not get the same opportunities as IB kids. If a kid is not able to score high on IB, it is 100% his fault as it is one of the most stressful standardized diploma in the world.

I don’t know much about IB, but I do know this is not the general perception of it. And I don’t think anyone is is interested in the “blame” you’re seeking to place.

Aside from others’ applications, what’s your thinking re: your own Mcgill decision?

My daughter is in at both Arts and Science, for CS. She’s definitely got McGill as #1 right now, though a slew of other decisions will come next month. We shall see, but I’m betting she’ll go with McGill, Arts.

I think IB has a high perception in the Upper class, and in regard to international education, since it provides a fun yet academic experience, as well as a very International one. I just know that looking nationally, a lot of public schools are much harder and more academic than the IB, and in general, the IB is not considered as high as many other diplomas.

Anyone hear from Desautels??

1 Like

How do you “know” this? That’s contrary to everything that I have read. And, in the specific context of McGill, are you telling us that McGill does not view the IB program as rigorous?

You lose me somewhere with these quotes.

Again, do you have anything to confirm your “knowledge” about McGill’s treating the IB program as less than rigorous?