McGill, polytechnique bachelor Paris or Cooper Union for engineering

If you’re in a French high school, then your choice is different:

Do you want to remain in the same style of teaching and general academic environment as before? If you live in France, do you want to stay in what’s most familiar to you?
then ==> Bachelor Polytechnique
Do you want to live in a different country and experience a new culture?
then ==> McGill or Cooper Union

McGill v.Cooper Union

McGill is well-recognized in Europe and in North America (it’s often jokingly refered to as “Canadian Harvard”, although it’s not quite true, first of all because it’s a large public university). It’s not that selective for Canadian applicants, more so for internationals, but the classes are tough and require a lot of work - many have to drop out or take longer to graduate (think of the EPFL model).
There are about 40,000 students, classes are huge (in the hundreds) and lecture-based for the most part. During your first year, it’s likely few professors will know your name. You’ll have TA’s (PHD students who teach labs or discussion sections) and most contacts will be with them. If you make an effort you may get to know professors through office hours and get a chance at working in a lab.
You’ll be challenged not just academically but in many other ways since you’ll be surrounded by the best and brightest from many countries, all with different experiences (both personal and academic). There’ll be many social opportunities.
You need to be autonomous, not hesitate to ask questions during office hours (and of course, actually go to office hours), use the tutoring services, etc. You’re in the middle of a bilingual, cosmopolitan city that’s one of the best in the world for college students.
The drinking age is 18, meaning you can go to clubs or socialize in bars.
After your first year, you need to find your own housing with classmates and deal with grocery shopping, paying utilities, etc, on top of doing well in your classes, using career services, and enjoying your time. You’ll likely congregate with classmates in the neighborhood near McGill.

Cooper Union is a specialized university. It’s tiny, closer in size to a French “grande école”: about 900 students, including about 500 in Engineering. The school is highly selective and most students come from NYC (however it’s a very diverse school, because NYC is diverse).
As a result, education there is more personalized than at McGill: 3/4 classes will have fewer than 20 students and almost all fewer than 40. You’ll have a personal adviser who knows you. Lots of learning is project-based and/or experiential, with maker spaces and labs linking STEM and industry. The “invention factory” summer program is fairly representative of their philosophy: you and your team design a product and go from idea to conception to production to testing to patent in 6 weeks. Obviously, the career center will help you find (paid) summer internships and graduating from a US college with a STEM degree will qualify you for 27 months OPT (job) minus the time spent on CPT (internship).
It’s a very urban university: there’s no campus per se and most students come from NYC so they commute. Students use the city for their entertainment (no bars nor clubs till you’re 21 though, so you’ll depend on fellow students for parties). Most non commuters live in the 1st year dorm. After that, they have to find apartments to rent in NYC, which is very difficult&expensive, and requires you to look with friends as early as October for the next Fall, perhaps from current seniors who’ll recommend you to their landlord. Students live all over the city and the commute can easily be 1hour long. However, that city is NYC, so there are tons of things to do and see at any time of the day or night. Socially, though, it’s more isolating than McGill.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @MYOS1634, I think I want to experience a new culture that’s why I’m more interested in McGill or Cooper Union.
After my undergraduate studies, I want to attend a graduate school and the best are in US, that’s why I think Cooper Union is a better option to continue a master and PhD. However the bachelor of engineering at McGill has a better value worldwide.

In any case your comment helps me a lot!

Mechanical engineering at McGill is a very strong program!

1 Like

Both will be very well regarded. I think McGill will be more social (with excellent academics) and Cooper Union will be more hands-on and more personalized academically but more isolating socially (and likely more expensive).

1 Like

Cooper Union is in the absolute heart of NYC. The East Village is a great place to live and eat if you’re young, single, have money, and free time (which you probably won’t at Cooper Union; have free time, that is). And yes, it’s very expensive. I haven’t been to the neighborhoods McGill and X are in though they are also in great cities (and Paris isn’t cheap either).

1 Like

Lately I’ve also been thinking about another option which is to transfer to another university after 1 year at Cooper Union, using Cooper Union as a crossing point . Maybe I will be accepted to an ivy or a better college.

Yes, that’s what a lot of people have advised me, but I’m afraid I won’t have the same opportunities for internships at McGill or X. At Cooper Union I saw people doing internships at NASA. Otherwise the McGill campus and its activities with its diversity also attracts me.

For Engineering, outside of the usual suspects where transfers aren’t really to be thought about* (ie., MIT, Stanford, Georgia Tech, HMC, Olin…), the best programs would be at state flagships or Tech flagships (UMichigan, Purdue, UIUC, UCs, Cal Poly SLO, or, more likely, Penn State, VTech, UMD, UMass, NCSU, UMN-Twin Cities…) plus a few top privates that take transfers (Cornell, Vanderbilt, Rice, Case Western, Northwestern…)

You should always choose your university as if transferring out weren’t possible.
Between graduating from Cooper Union and McGill, which would you prefer?

There’ll be no meaningful difference between finding internships from one or the other, or placement to grad school. Both are very strong and well-known.

The main difference is that you’ll have OPT (work permit) for about 2 years in the US (after which you need to get into a Master’s degree or PHD or go home) v. a 3-year permit for Canada that can easily convert into permanent residency.

*transfer space is made by freshmen leaving. Students would rather change majors than drop out of Stanford and very, very, very few students drop out of MIT. :slight_smile: As a result, transferring into these colleges is is almost impossible.
To be fair, in that category GTech might be possible?

1 Like

I feel that McGill is more of a security choice and that Cooper Union is very risky. I also don’t think that with a Cooper Union degree I can work in Europe (England, France…) and even less in Morocco.

I thought I could work in the US after graduating from Cooper Union for an indefinite time. I only have 2 years maximum? After that I have to come back? I have to do a master or a PhD, if I want to stay?

Yes, if you get a degree from a US college, you can only work for 2 years, after that either you are admitted to a graduate program or you have to leave.
In Canada, your college work counts toward permanent residency and your time working counts toward citizenship.

2 Likes

Do you have a French passport? I believe McGill has a lower price for French Nationals compared to other Internationals.

1 Like

Yes, unless you can find work sponsorship within those 2 years, you’d have to do a masters or PhD to stay. In the US, any decent PhD program would be funded (difficult part is getting in) but most masters are not.

I never found the East Village to be dangerous at all (over a decade ago). Others can comment on the Montreal and Paris neighborhoods.

No, unfortunately, I’m considered as an international student

It seems increasingly difficult to go to the US and McGill is emerging as a reasonable choice

I believe to qualify for a TN Visa to work in the USA you will need to be a Citizen of Canada and not just a Permanent Resident otherwise you’ll need to get a an H1B visa which for a Mech Eng might not be the easiest but not impossible.

There are not that many French Engineering schools that are still located in Paris proper. X moved to Palaiseau (about 10 miles south of Paris) about 45 years ago.

To give a NYC analogy, Palaiseau is basically Central NJ: a nice place to raise a family, but not necessarily where you want to be when you are young, single, have money and free time.

I don’t think I heard the OP say what he will study at each of these schools. That could make a difference too.

McGill to study mechanical engineering, Cooper Union to study mechanical engineering and polytechnique to get a bachelor of science double major in physics and maths.

How much will the X cost?

15000€