medical school in Dominican Republic

<p>um do any of you know about the medical schools in dominican republic? i am a high school senior and was planning to go there since it is only about 6 years of study. is there anyone you know who went to dominican republic? did they have a hard time getting their residency??
also do you know about the medical schools in europe?
which one would be better to go to? dominican republic vs. european medical schools
also, does ross university have a 6 year program as well?
i am really confused an cant decide whether i should go to dominican republic or stay in the US and take the traditional route...
any suggestions?</p>

<p>There are numbers floating around on this board. With permission to round slightly (because my memory is fuzzy), about 60% of overseas medical students pass the USMLE. About 50% of them - and I suspect that's 50% of the 60%, for 30% overall - ever match into residencies.</p>

<p>Now consider that these numbers are for all overseas schools, meaning that high-quality schools in England, Paris, Rome, etc. are bringing these averages up.</p>

<p>And if you look at their match lists - even for the "best" ones, like Grenada, etc. - they're indicative of match lists with very few options. Their specialty lists are almost entirely composed of fields that US medical students tend to underfill - in other words, you only get the spots that nobody else wants. Unless you're that lucky 1 in 1000, forget about surgery, cardiology, radiology, anesthesia, neurology, opthalmology, etc.</p>

<p>So if you want to take your chances at paying $350K, spending six years of your life, and only having a 25% chance of ever becoming a doctor with no backup plan (since you don't get a BS/BA) and a best case scenario that has you forever at the bottom of selection pools... that's a decision you'll have to make for yourself.</p>

<p>The good news is that, if you're in that lucky 25%, you'll be 27 instead of 29 when you're done with your residency.</p>

<p>PS: The programs I've seen are all at least 50% more expensive than US Medical schools. If this is true generally, then the two years of undergrad tuition you save will get eaten up very early on. By these calculations, $360K is tuition alone, living expenses not included. By comparison, four years of undergrad ($30K) and four years of medical school ($40K) add up to the same amount if you're going to expensive privates, get no financial aid, and avoid state schools.</p>

<p>I tried posting something very similar...</p>

<p>BDM is close enough with the numbers, though I'm unsure about the 50% of the original 60% as the pass rates given for USMLE are just on those passing the first time. US 2nd years as a comparison pass USMLE on the first try at about a 93% clip, so there's a very big difference. The stats I've seen for IMG retesters are not even as good as the initial 60% pass rate. </p>

<p>Considering that USMLE Scores are one of the biggest components of determining what residency one can enter, the fact that so many IMG's don't even pass it doesn't bode well for getting a high score necessary for competitive fields like the one BlueDevilMike listed.</p>

<p>Now, if you don't mind staying in the county in which you go to school, it's probably not that big of deal, but coming to the US will continue to remain difficult, as you will still have to pass USMLE exams for medical licensure in the States.</p>

<p>I was also going to ask if there was some sort of compelling reason why you want to be done earlier? 2 years isn't really that big of deal...trust me, after age 21, the only big "landmark" b-day is 25 b/c car insurance rates go down, and you can rent a car (of course if you join the AMA that's a perk you get before then anyways)...</p>

<p>
[quote]
if you join the AMA that's a perk you get before then anyways

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Wait, really? This is... very exciting. Tell me more?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/8895.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/8895.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>thanks for the reply
um, well, you see, my neighbor went to dominican republic and told me that it is 6 years. so thats why my parents suggested that i should go there too. first of all, i will graduate early and wont waste time with pre-med. also, i would be able to focus on other professional studies and all with the 2 extra years i save... i dont think its that bad, but i am worried about getting the residency. by any chance, do any of you know ppl who went through this? which country did they go to?</p>

<p>"focus on other professional studies"</p>

<p>What does this mean? Are you thinking about going to law school or getting an MBA too? Or am I misinterpreting "professional studies"...</p>

<p>If you think 2 years is important, ask yourself this hypothetical:</p>

<p>When you're retiring at age 65, are you really going to look back and say "Gee, I really wish I had been in practice for 38 years instead of 36..." </p>

<p>And again, to point out the positive in an otherwise grim picture that BDM and I have painted - about 50% of IMG's do in fact get residency positions. So it's not like it is impossible. The point though that we're trying to make is that there are many risks associated with it. </p>

<p>I think of the two options like this: Option A (the traditional route) - it's like a roller coaster, the hard part is reaching the top (getting into medical school), but after that, it's going to take a rare mishap to prevent you from reaching the end (earning an MD, getting a residency, finishing that residency).</p>

<p>Option B (going abroad for a 6 year program) on the other hand is like driving from east to west through Colorado - it starts out flat, and pretty easy (admissions and classwork abroad) but after you get through Denver, there are all these mountains in your way. And even while you're driving on the interstate, there are a lot of potential rockslides, avalanches, runaway semis, and so on (Visas, Immigration, travel, USMLE, residencies). And when you actually go over a mountain, there's always that ledge (and subsequent drop) right there.</p>

<p>So it's really up to you and which path you feel like taking. Personally, I think it would be pretty horrible to go down to the DR, complete the coursework and then not be able to come to the US and actually finish your training and be able to practice. And none of this even begins talking about issues that are just more inherent to an accelerated program (burnout, finding out you really don't like science, costs, etc.)</p>

<p>I am much more negative than BRM.</p>

<p>Because even if you're in that lucky 25% that makes it through, you've still paid more money for a degree that will never, ever open the same doors.</p>

<p>You might get a residency. If you're lucky.</p>

<p>But even in a best case scenario, it will be a residency that couldn't recruit enough US medical students and is desperate to find somebody to do the work nobody else wants to do.</p>

<p>Can you please tell me if it makes any difference to go to Antigua instead of the place that the OP asked about. I mean, is Antigua any better?
I found out from an Indian friend that it is 6 years and probably a lot less than $100,000 (total 6 years) to get the degree in India. The education is in English. Would you guys please let us know if there are flaws in the following:
(1) Will save 2 years (6 versus 8)
(2) Will save a lot of money ($350K versus 100 K)
(3) Medical degree is guaranteed, whereas in the US, even after 4 years of B.S., there is heavy competition get into medicine. What is the % of people who get into medical program after their pre-med studies? Is it 75%, 50% or 30% (just asking for the ball park figure).</p>

<p>Thank you to those who are guiding H.S. kids like me.</p>

<p>Overseas, your medical degree may be guaranteed, but there's a very low chance that you'll ever get to use it. Just because some school claims you're an "MD" doesn't mean anybody in the States will let you work here.</p>

<p>The number you're looking for is 50%. But don't forget, here you'd still have a BS in something useful and could get a job.</p>

<p>Remember, the $350K number I quoted you is for the Caribbean. US schools might approach that IF you go to the most expensive private colleges and medical schools in the country AND if you get no scholarships whatsoever. Many kids manage to do this for free, or they stay in state schools and pay perhaps $40,000. Etc.</p>

<p>bluedevil, thanks a lot. You are right about that getting at least a B.S. degree here. This overseas stuff sounds just too good to be real!</p>

<p>hmm yea there are a lot of obstacles i would be facing with after completing med school in a foreign country i guess. thank you for your help!</p>

<p>Never give up a chance to get a US or Canadian MD. In fact, that goes for a US DO degree as well.</p>

<p>yup, i am determined to go to medical school.
and i will be applying to some foreign medical schools anyway, just in case. i know that i would have to face with many obstacles but i guess i would be all right with it. its a matter of how ambitious one is that determines if one will be successful or not.</p>

<p>I'm a Dominican /American Mother with an american child who insists in going to medical school. I tried telling him to try something else; medical school is expensive and require a lot of time. coming from a low income family is not easy to hear your child wants to be a doctor. Nomatter what I said he wants to go to medical school. So I decide to find out about Dominican Medical schools; that is how I end up in this webside.</p>

<p>I know the Dominican Republic has very good medical school. Some of its graduates are working at some of he best hospitals in NY city such as Columbia Presbyteream. Learning spanish is a plus for any Doctor, specially in New York City. It is only 3 hours away from New York and the beautiful beaches, mountain, rivers and people is a plus. I will check the prices directly from the university since I think it is much less than people are telling. </p>

<p>I'm glad I have a beautiful house so my child can stay.</p>

<p>I heard a hospital is being build in the city of Santiago as part of the medical school. Does anybody knows anything about it. Maybe we should the people who graduated from there.</p>

<p>Did you know the University of the new World was build in the Dominican Republic. If I found out anything else I let you know.</p>

<p>My child is in HS 10 grade, has excellent grades and I made sure he spoke spanish before english; it's the best way to learn the language
He is ready to apply to medical school but unfortunally has a poor single other. I guess it will be the beautiful Dominican Republic.</p>

<p>Any suggestion will be appreciated to this desperatly mother whose child just want to be doctor?</p>

<p>I went through a DR school. Dont do it, unless you have no other choices. They do not prep you for the USMLE at all, and the basic sciences is complete garbage. The only good thing was the clinical rotations, being a 3rd world country, I saw alot of things I wouldnt have seen in the US.</p>

<p>It took me 5 months instead of the average 2 to prepare for the USMLE. I got in via the scramble, and got into a IM res. and now I also got a neurology fellowship. </p>

<p>Happy ending? Not worth the nightmare I had to go through.</p>

<p>What school did u attend Adebisi and are the credits from DR valid in the US was their anything u had to take again in the US or was it just ur residency</p>

<p>I’m sorry, but you guys are misinformed on a few things. For starters you pay more in the U.S then you would in DR. Look up UNIBE; the cost per semester is almost $8k a semester, so if you do the math then you would realize that you guys have the wrong and I mean the wrong figures. America $250k- DR at best with books and all $60 to $70k. And the main reason why a lot of them don’t pass is bc of the language barriers. Sorry guys but you should do a little more research then as appose to looking online at the stats they have for this kind of stuff. As for the lady who wants to go to school in DR; go for it. I’m an american and go to school in DR and the only thing I can say that these guys are right about is that if you don’t love it then you will get burned out. It is an accelerated program so unless you are ready to study enough for two people then need not apply take your time in the U.S. it will cost more but also an easier route, but if you want better and hands on experience without the lawsuits and don’t mind grueling hours. Well then I’ll see you in DR. Also they now have loans for Unibe that they actually send people from the U.S. over here to go to school. So please don’t always listen to what you hear or read. Research it yourself and stop being lazy.</p>

<p>hey i read the comment you wrote regarding the medical school you are attending in Santo Domingo, (Unibe) would you care sharing a little more information about the school, i am very interested in going to school over seas but Im mostly looking for schools that accept students without taking the MCAT, is Unibe one of those?
Thanks for your help.
my question goes out to Crazyboy96</p>

<p>You may want to see what an American doctor has to say about these schools. I have a friend who went to the DR and is now a successful doctor practicing in the US</p>

<p>[Caribbean</a> Medical Schools: A Good Option?](<a href=“http://studentdoctor.net/2009/07/caribbean-medical-schools-a-good-option/]Caribbean”>http://studentdoctor.net/2009/07/caribbean-medical-schools-a-good-option/)</p>