Miami Commitment Program?

<p>This is my first time in a while posting on here, but I recently received a piece of propaganda in the mail (that's what I've been calling college letters since sophomore year...) discussing Student Employment at the U. In a separate paper, it invites me to apply to the Miami Commitment program that enables me to apply to get a job in the greater Miami area in the field of my studies, in my case, business.</p>

<p>Upperclassmen/alumni... is this program worth applying for? I haven't heard of it before. Can you give me some other details about the program as well? The website for it is pretty sparse... thanks! Go Canes!</p>

<p>Basically, they hook you up with a job on campus that will, hopefully, help prepare you for a career in the real world. They also provide funds that work just like FWS, so if you’re ineligible for FWS, this is a good alternative.</p>

<p>I started with it Freshman year, they got me a few good job offers, but I ended up finding a different job on my own through the MyUM system. Overall, it can’t hurt to apply. You can always drop out later (like I did).</p>

<p>I was in Miami Commitment. Highly recommended if you need a job and don’t have federal work study. They hooked me up with a job right away that I kept throughout the entire time I was at UM. And if you don’t like it, they will help you find another one. If you don’t have work study, it’s really hard to find an on campus job (basically, work study money comes from the gov’t and there is a fund for Miami Commitment, but if an office just hires someone else, it comes out of their own budget). I entered as a Journalism/Poli Sci major and worked as a publications assistant at the law school. So in my case at least, they did a good job of finding me something related to both of my majors.</p>

<p>i was wondering the same thing but from what you’re saying it sounds like a good program, i think i’ll be applying!</p>

<p>I will be an incoming freshman at the U come this August and I plan to double major in English and Philosophy. I was invited to apply to the Miami Committment Program as well. After reading this thread, I absolutely intend to apply!</p>

<p>Yay, philosophy majors! <em>e-[]_[]-five</em></p>

<p>My son was offered work study and invited to apply for the Commitment jobs. Which is a better option? How much could he expect to earn per hour? How many hours per week do students find most manageable?</p>

<p>I’m not really sure of the difference between the two, except that you can lose work study while you’re in college depending on the government, but as long as you complete the (easy) requirements, you’re guaranteed MC all four years. My roommate had work study and lost it her junior year and lost her job because of it. But at the same time, possibly taking away MC from a kid who needs it but doesn’t have work study kind of sucks.</p>

<p>I generally worked 12 hours per week, but I was also really involved. It depends on your schedule. I probably could have handled more, but I also wanted free time and just needed the job for spending money on the weekends, so 12 was plenty. I started off making minimum ($6.40 at the time), but was making $8.50 by my senior year. It really just depends on the individual office.</p>