Miami U (OH) possibly cutting/consolidating programs

I saw this article this morning that says Miami University (Ohio) might cut or consolidate some of its humanities programs. The list of 18 programs is at the end of the article, but I also copied here.

Which majors are facing consolidation?

• American Studies.
  • Art History.
  • Classical Studies.
  • Critical Race and Ethnic Studies.
  • French.
  • French Education.
  • German.
  • German Education.
  • Health Communication.
  • Health Information Technology.
  • Italian Studies.
  • Latin American Studies.
  • Latin Education.
  • Religion.
  • Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies.
  • Spanish Education.
  • Social Justice Studies.
  • Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.

This makes me so sad, but there were several interesting bits in the article.

One professor was quoted as mentioning the cyclical attacks on academia, with reference to the Scopes trial in the 20s and the Red Scare in the 50s, and now the current attacks as related to some people’s perceptions of CRT. As I hadn’t heard this perspective before, it gives me something to chew on.

Mullenix said 72% of Miami students cluster in 30 majors, out of the university’s 130 total majors. In thinking about how to reorganize staff and resources, the university started by looking at the major programs with fewer than 35 students over four years.

This stat is hardly surprising when the vast majority of students come on CC asking for some iteration of CS, finance/business, or engineering, but it is sad to me. Although I understand many reasons why it has become increasingly so, it reflects a lack of curiosity and exploration in a variety of fields, particularly when it is just an undergraduate degree, rather than a degree in a particular field, that is a jumping off point for a professional career.

It appears that Miami will be aiming to continue to incorporate the various liberal arts fields through certificates, honors programs, etc, so not completely eliminating them like at WVU. Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

4 Likes

Perhaps it does not reflect a lack of curiosity so much as a desire for well-paying employment. Undergraduate studies are the career launching point for most adults now.

8 Likes

I might be taking that quote out of context (and if so I apologize).

Many many students will only ever get “just an undergraduate degree”. Given the cost to obtain that degree - that has increased substantially over the decades - the focus is on how that degree is going to get leveraged occupationally and less about curiosity and exploration.

Many of the programs listed for consolidation might be great as minor’s/certificates but the occupational opportunities within many of them are severely limited.

Schools can/should continually look at enrollment in programs and add new programs where there is interest and discontinue programs where enrollment is declining. My guess is Social Justice Studies was a new program within the last 20 years. If there’s a suggestion that a school is shutting down a program due to outside societal pressure, even though there’s substantial enrollment, I would agree that is a significant problem.

5 Likes

For additional context, here is the full statement (which I may end up revising, or putting an ETA statement in).

Many students think that whatever they major in is what they are going to do for a career. Many do not realize that the majority of entry-level, professional careers are not asking for a degree in X, but rather that they’re asking for a college degree. So whether a student majors in economics or whether they major in English, philosophy, linguistics, history, enigmatology, or whatever else, the field that their degree is in does not matter as much. And more often than not, it’s because the adults in their lives have not conveyed that to them. Kids don’t know what they don’t know.

That said, I acknowledge the following:

• Students who do business/CS/engineering usually have the highest salaries starting out from college.
  • Going from a degree in CS/business/engineering can often appear clearer cut to a particular profession without some as much internal struggling over the “What am I going to do with my life?” question.
  • Students who don’t do a “pragmatic” major need to be on-the-ball with respect to getting experiences that can translate to a job (research & analytical skills, summer internships, etc).
  • The financial investment of a college degree, particularly for families with lower incomes, can mean that there’s more risk aversion to entering a field where they could be a longer on-ramp to higher salaries or where student drive (being a go-getter) can impact the employment prospects.

Paging @blossom who is usually more eloquent than I am with respect to this matter, and has years of experience with respect to talent search.

And yes, most students do not go past an undergraduate degree, and that doesn’t change my thoughts with respect to the above statements.

1 Like

We can simply agree to disagree then. I have a different outlook than you on expectations coming out from an undergraduate degree.

I maintain though that schools can/should continue to add and discontinue programs based on enrollment. It’s no different than car manufacturers adding and discontinuing models based on sales/revenue.

6 Likes

It is also just a change to the 21st century. Maybe romance languages are down but Chinese and Arabic enrollment are up. Religion and classics may be less popular but data analytics is more popular. Trendy new majors like social justice and gender studies lost their novelty. As teaching has lost popularity, any education oriented major would decline.

2 Likes

To be clear, I would welcome more students expressing an interest in Mandarin and Arabic, or rhetoric, or Middle Eastern studies, East Asian studies, or history and philosophy of science & technology, or peace studies/dispute resolution, or any number of issues that might seem more relevant to students than Classics or romance languages (though Spanish seems to be an area of high-need). It’s not that students need to be stuck in the fields that previous generations studied. It just seems that fields of possible study have been narrowed significantly, which saddens me. And I understand the concept that if students won’t take certain courses that faculty need to be cut; I am a pragmatist in that respect. It’s just disheartening to me is all.

But as this topic is supposed to be about Miami and how it intends to deal with about a $36M budget deficit, I will move on to this quote from the article:

Mullenix said Miami’s revenue is affected by multiple factors: a shrinking pool of college-aged people, competition among Ohio universities, fewer international students coming to the United States, increased price sensitivity after the pandemic and a lack of faith in higher education.

Ohio really does have some amazing in-state options. A search on College Navigator for 4-year Ohio publics that offer a Bachelor’s degree pulled up 41 options. Some of those are clearly community colleges, though.

But there’s these which I think are probably 4-year colleges:

• Bowling Green-branch campus
  • Bowling Green-main campus
  • Central State
  • Clark State
  • Cleveland State
  • Kent State - 7 branch campuses
  • Kent State - main campus
  • Miami - 2 branch campuses
  • Miami - main campus
  • North Central State
  • Ohio State - 4 branch campuses
  • Ohio State - main campus
  • Ohio U. - 5 branch campuses
  • Ohio U. - main campus
  • Shawnee State
  • U. of Akron
  • U. of Cincinnati - 2 branch campuses
  • U. of Cincinnati - main campus
  • U. of Toledo
  • Wright State-branch campus
  • Wright State-main campus
  • Youngstown State
  • Zane State

I don’t know how many of the branch campuses are really glorified community colleges where everyone moves to the main campus after the first 2 years. And I don’t think that Miami U. is really competing with most of these schools (though Ohio State, Ohio U., and U. of Cincinnati probably do give it lots of competition). But it seems as though Ohio may also have a higher education reckoning to do in the near future.

Additionally, Miami’s tuition is significantly higher than many of fellow Ohio public competitors.

• Miami: In-state $15,555, OOS $35,667
  • Ohio State: In-state $12,485, OOS $36,722
  • Ohio U.: In-state $13,352, OOS $23,720
  • U. of Cincinnati: In-state $13,176, OOS $28,540

Perhaps Miami might consider a price reset, at least for is OOS fees, or a more clear-cut scholarship table of stats to merit award, because its OOS sticker price might turn away many families who would otherwise consider it.

1 Like

Here is a map and list of Ohio’s public universities (main and regional campuses) and community colleges:

There are 14 university main campuses, but one is specialized in medical subjects, leaving 13 more general university main campuses. They have 24 associated regional campuses. There are 23 community colleges, but some have multiple campuses, so they have 42 community college campuses.

1 Like

I worked at a college right out of undergrad and though I had nothing to do with admissions I do remember the overall position that “we love our international students”. They were - generally - full pay at OOS rates.

Posting this you made me think to go and look at the CDS for Miami U - '18-'19, Nonresident Alien students were 2,557. '22-'23 this number was 829.

I know it’s way more complicated than this but if you took those 1,728 international students, replaced them with in-state students you would have a gross revenue shift of $35M.

Given the increasing cost of higher education, it makes sense that students are pursuing degrees that will put them on a solid career trajectory path. Definitely the liberal arts can do that, but let’s face it, some subjects are silly naval gazing and it might be best for them to be eliminated or relegated to a smaller number of schools.

1 Like

Also, employers may be less willing to do on-the-job training these days (i.e. they expect more of the needed education and training to be done at the job applicant’s own expense), which can lead to needing higher degree levels in more job-related majors.

1 Like

I’m curious to see what Miami is going to do with these programs, because they are all important to professional development in addition to being inherently interesting or worth knowing about. In addition, the college needs to make skills developed clearer if neither students nor employers could see them well.

For instance, any sort of international business major that doesn’t require a foreign language at major-level cultural&linguistic fluency is useless.
Supply Chain would benefit from cultural fluency&linguistic basics in a variety of Asian and African languages. Some specific businesses benefit from specific languages (ie., if your employers or competitors are Audi&BMW, or Airbus, etc.)
African languages, Russian, Chinese, and Arabic are strategically important but incredibly difficult for an English speaker. As a result, they’re good in their role as general education, broadening of the mind, abstract thinking, but the level reached by undergrads is not very usable, except for students in special programs like Middlebury’s, the Critical language flagships, or the Service Academies.
Strong Foreign Language Depts have already operated a pivot to cultural fluency and away from the typical “literature century by century” from the 20th century. Those that haven’t will have to. They’ll have to incorporate culture-specific classes in English like they added Film&History classes in English (Foreign Language faculty actually often work accross departments).
Spanish is so common in the US that it seems having a pathway to fluency in relation to another major would make a lot of sense for people working domestically. In the hospitality industry and in medicine, it seems almost mandatory unless one has other linguistic skills.
French remains an “elite” marker (in that the vitality of that dept correlates pretty well with the college’s ranking) and otherwise will struggle reconciling different goals: students who take it romanticize France, want to travel to Paris, live abroad; but working in France is less common than dealing with Canadian companies, which require everything to be in French as well as English, and when necessary tailored to the French speaking population (and not just “translated”) and there’s a need at different levels for complementary mastery of languages spoken on the African continent (military academies have a high-level French program combined with Arabic, Lingala, Wolof, Jola…) Finally, an influx of Haitians requires French learners to pivot to Creole, especially in the medical field and in education. Obviously these last 3 are less attractive to students than the idea of being a famous artist in Paris and/not as obvious. To a lesser extent, the demand for bilingual immersion programs/charter schools is such, especially in NYC, that CUNYs can’t keep up despite setting up a special 1year Master’s program.

Cutting Gender Studies is strange to me: it is actually very relevant, a useful minor if you’re majoring in business (especially HR), economics, plan to go to law school, or pretty much plan to work in any field that in the 20th century was dominated by men (or still is, even in the 21st), or on its own with a minor from another field.
In particular, hard to see how one can major in HR and not have a minor in Gender Studies, African American Studies, or Hispanic Studies (or American Studies, which used to wrap these as well as History&sociology into one “shortcut” major) in the US nowadays, in the same way Marketing majors better have a statistics minor or equivalent. So perhaps a solution is to require a “corrrelate” minor.

Perhaps they’ll create new majors: UCD in Ireland “consolidated” and created new Humanities majors that pick from what used to be several different “courses” (majors) across colleges&departments, for instance. This was quite revolutionary since the Irish tradition has been the single-subject degree or at the most a “joint degree” combining 2 subjects from a pre-approved list. Creating multidisciplinary degrees broke with hundreds of years of tradition.

In short, I’m curious to see what Miami is going to do, how it’s going to roll these into new majors and whether they’ll be able to market them.

3 Likes